• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pokemon: Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
MrQfSHa.png
Summary:

SS7sx8m.png

Game Details

Design Direction:
As strong an adherence to the original Pokemon games as possible- from combat to thematic elements.

Game Modes:
Champion Mode (PvE) - This mode is a race against your rivals. Across the map there are gyms to challenge, that can be approached in whatever order you choose. Each gym you go to will be harder than the last, so you need to strategize carefully so you're faster than your opponents.

Stadium Mode (PvP) - This game isn't a race to a goal, but a race against the clock. After a certain amount of time has expired(modular in the pre-game; example; 20/40/60 mins), the game will conclude with a face off against the other trainers in a mini tournament. 8 > 4 > 2 > winner.

Game Begins:
Up to 8 players begin the game much like the real thing. You're a trainer who gets to pick from various starting Pokemon (right now it's a choice from 9 different starters; 3 grass, 3 fire, 3 water.)

Progression:
The goal in either mode (generally) is to design the team you think will beat out the competition by catching Pokemon in various zones across the map, training them, equipping items, and optimizing their move sets.

Unit Details

Pokédex:
The range of Pokemon stretches to gen 7, but possibly gen 8.
Each Pokemon will have their own identifiable model with their iconic animations.
The Pokemon roster is a custom 'national' dex that is intended to be a balance of typing and stats (with a minor scrutiny on 'cooler' Pokemon).
Ubers (Legendary Pokemon) are balanced by being restricted to 1 per team.
Potential place for Shiny Pokemon.
Pokemon spawning is semi random from game-to-game to not only promote balance, but also variance (replay-ability).

Combat:
All types are represented in both units, duality, and attacks.
Combat is an instanced field with real-time action, 1v1 (trainers) with 1 or 2 Pokemon fielded at a time(Singles and Doubles).
Each Pokemon can have a max of 4 attacks. These can be edited by leveling, TM/HM, and move tutors.
The level cap is 25 with an equivalent 1:4 in comparison to the typical 100 level cap. This translates to things like evolving Pokemon, etc. (This speeds up the game.)
Each player(trainer/rival) can have a team of a max of 6.
With some restrictions for real-time balance, trainers can use items and swap out-Pokemon.

Map Details

Regions:
The map has several distinct areas, with their own sets of Pokemon and their own gym. There are a few towns that contain shops and places to heal your team for free (Poke Centers), and enable fast access travel around the map to maintain high quality of life and action.
Along with the Pokemon, the Gyms will contain a degree of variance as well- being either 1 of 2 different leaders per gym.

XvgZsbu.png

Screenshots (WIP)

D3KWNmq.png

hTNBiLT.png
Progress

Terrain: [ 5% ]
Art Assets / Units: [ 1% ]
Script (Map Features): [ 0% ]
Script (Combat): [ 0% ]

Team

Lead (Main Terrainer, a little of everything else) = TastyBamboo (AKAs: Tangy / Dary)
TastyBamboo

Recruitment page
HQ Pokemon Styled Mini PvP/PvE

Roles:
Lead Scripter = unfilled
Assist Scripting = unfilled
Assit Terraining = unfilled
Modelers = 808
Testing = unfilled
Other = unfilled
Other Credits

(PENDING)

Last edited:
Level 4
Good luck. What do you have in mind for gameplay? It would be very radical if you could use lua or whatever to make it like the gameboy games. I guess the combat is more like normal warcraft 3, though.
Where are you going to get the assets? Taking the assets (pokemons, buildings, even terrian and doodads) from a 3d title like Sun/Moon and rebuilding a world that looks 100% pokemon would be very immersive.
Personally, I'd prefer just gen 1 and maybe 2, although I see how you picking "~250" from all the gens could be nice, best of the best.

Level 6
Good luck. I guess the combat is more like normal warcraft 3, though.
Where are you going to get the assets? Taking the assets (pokemons, buildings, even terrian and doodads) from a 3d title like Sun/Moon and rebuilding a world that looks 100% pokemon would be very immersive.
Personally, I'd prefer just gen 1 and maybe 2, although I see how you picking "~250" from all the gens could be nice, best of the best.

!: Good luck.
Thank you for the reply!

Q: What do you have in mind for gameplay? It would be very radical if you could use lua or whatever to make it like the gameboy games.
Basically like regular Warcraft + Pokemon. 4 moves + natural ability + typing + stats. The exceptions being the way spells/damage/armors interact to reflect types. (i.e. Fire doing more damage to grass, fire taking more damage from water.) I think Warcraft and Pokemon naturally have a lot of compatible combat surprisingly. Things like "growl" lowering attack, the attack stat mattering in calculations of 'power' type moves vs "special" type moves. STAB bonuses, etc. These things all can be accounted for. I'm familiar with Warcraft 3 and Pokemon, so the vision is all there. I honestly don't think these inclusions will be hard. Obviously, Pokemon combat is not just 1v1- there are other facets to consider. The Pokemon's held item, trainers using items, potentially the other 5 pokemon, withdrawing, etc. At the moment, it seems all these things can be included as well, pending they have a cool down or other restrictions. There are also other stretch goals, which may come up later. Last thing I want to mention on this topic, is that the battles will actually happen in separate areas (Kinda like the real games) which will make it easier to balance and control.

Q: It would be very radical if you could use lua or whatever...
I don't know which coding we're going with yet, as I'll leave that up to the main coder.

Q: Where are you going to get the assets? Taking the assets (pokemons, buildings, even terrian and doodads) from a 3d title like Sun/Moon and rebuilding a world that looks 100% pokemon would be very immersive.
I would like some building/doodad assets if I could find them(If you could find some send a link to my DMs ^^ ). I'm only using a couple extra models for the environment at the moment because there are a lack of shrubs and bushes for my tastes. The main modeler, 808, is mostly handling the Pokemon. I'm editing animations to work with stats better, giving each Pokemon a "birth animation" for coming out of a Pokeball, etc. in Blender. I'm also adding attachments for things like debuffs. I'm not sure about adding 'glows' yet, the likes which heroes have. My goal is to make things as immersive as I can.

!: Personally, I'd prefer just gen 1 and maybe 2, although I see how you picking "~250" from all the gens could be nice, best of the best.
A problem you see in the 1st gen for example, is how many things have dual type poison, especially in grass types. In gen 1, there are no JUST ghost types and in gen 2 there is just one. I find Litwick's Fire/Ghost to be an interesting pairing, and including Duskull gives a generic Ghost line. It's a wide variety of type coverage for strategy and availability purposes. After balance is considered, it comes down to personal flavor of devs. Some easy cuts for example, were Trubbish, Vanillite, and Voltorb. I'll post the complete roster later as development progresses. Bear in mind ~250 is significant. Although cuts had to be made, the future has a lot of possibilities!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.