• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Please help! New Battle.net connection error today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Just started getting this error: "Unable to connect to Battle.net. You may be trying to connect to an invalid Battle.net server. If you are using a modem, you may need to connect to the internet before connecting to Battle.net"

Have no idea what to do. Please help

Level 7
Just started getting this error: "Unable to connect to Battle.net. You may be trying to connect to an invalid Battle.net server. If you are using a modem, you may need to connect to the internet before connecting to Battle.net"

Have no idea what to do. Please help
This error usually happens when you get banned or something happened. Anything you did before this error occured?

Level 3
Just heard back from Support: "It looks like the many attempts to log in have caused the system to label your connection point as suspicious. Currently I see there's about a 24 hour temporary lock on the login location from accessing Warcraft 3. I would recommend waiting until this time tomorrow before attempting to log back in again there."

This is BS though because I had been idle in a Battle.net channel for about 15 minutes while searching for a game

Level 7
I see. Never was aware of that before. Maybe the problem was that the auto refresh of the rooms may caused your connection to be suspicious, which is weird, though I don't remember never trying or experiencing that.

It's even weirder since the auto refresh happens like, every 5 seconds, which is not much, a DDOS attack or any 'suspicous connection' of the sort would attack much faster. Well, maybe never try to stay away from your computer in the Custom Game screen, anytime you go AFK, stay in a chat channel.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This is BS though because I had been idle in a Battle.net channel for about 15 minutes while searching for a game
This mechanic has existed for a very long time. It is not so much due to you being "suspicious" but rather as a flood control mechanic. Even Diablo II would temporarily ban your IP if you overloaded their servers too much, changed characters too often or made too many new games in a short time.

Were you refreshing a lot? Or swapping between chat and game list a lot?

Maybe the problem was that the auto refresh of the rooms may caused your connection to be suspicious, which is weird, though I don't remember never trying or experiencing that.
Yes refreshing too often will get you IP banned. It is flood control to try and prevent potential DoS attacks or wasting server resources.

It's even weirder since the auto refresh happens like, every 5 seconds, which is not much, a DDOS attack or any 'suspicous connection' of the sort would attack much faster.
There is no "auto refresh" when looking for a game. Once the game list is refreshed (button at top of screen) the server streams all games at a certain rate to you based on ordering inside a queue. This is how slot refreshing used to put your game up on the list as it would reinsert you in the queue. Manually refreshing forces all game results in the list to be retransmitted so likely triggers flood control prevention if pressed too much. It is possible that if you subscribe to the game list update stream too long it also triggers flood control prevention.

Once flood control prevention is triggers your IP address is temporarily banned. This usually lasts for 30-60 minutes. However if you were to try and login a few times during this period it will extend the period to days, weeks or even months depending on how persistent you are.

If you are on a variable IP address, eg most consumer grade internet connections, then you can cheat this ban simply by restarting your router so that it obtains a new IP address.

Level 32
Try reinstalling. I had the same problem, but I fixed it by reinstalling. It wouldn't work by CD, so get it from the battle.net site: https://us.battle.net/account/management/download/
Download wc3 from there, it's free if you've registered your CD keys. If you haven't registered them yet, do so under account settings. You can find your CD key info in these files: user.2rk tft.w3k roc.w3k

Status
Not open for further replies.