• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

please give me criticism on my first icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
hi
at first i have to say, that im really bad at making icons..
i know its no explanation at all, but i dont have the practice and the skill... yet

i really want to make icons, so i practiced
i beg you to take a look at my first icon and give me criticism!

i attached the BTN

its named: BTNBloodCoveredAxe
its all selfmade and freehand

Look at the WIP's

Attachments

• BloodCoveredAxe.jpg
    BloodCoveredAxe.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 336
Level 10
thx
i know that it needs a background, but i wanted to do something basic.
what exactly should shine brigther? do you mean i should add a glow?

the thing with the angle.. yeah i wanted to do something basic.. (like above said)
rotating it is pretty simple too.
im glad you like it^^ i mean... im happy with it (but that means nothing :) )

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
First, i would remove some of the blood and then just have some blood on the blade instead of a whole bunch. Second, i would make the handle part longer instead of having it look like its cut off. Third, the blade part looks as if some caveman had carved it out of rock or something, i would somehow make the blade sharper. Also, i would make a better wooden texture around the handle area. -Army.

first off, it looks like anchor more than an axe. An axe has much more of a flatter edge than it being that rounded. Also, to make it look more realistic, it would be wiser to attach the axe to the edge of the handle instead of it being bolted down on it. I have seen many axes in this case, and it makes it look so much more unrealistic and 100% more cartooney.

For the blade, try to have an edge to it. adding highlights to the edge of the axe will make it seem like it has a bit of an edge. also, add some highlights around it may improve its look in shape and volume. This is critical, because without strong sharp (flat) edges, it ends up looking a bit blobby and round. and with the shading you are doing, Its not helping it look any more flat.

As for the wood, try to give it a bit of a grain by using a burn tool at a low opacity and going down the wood to give it the look and feel of wood. and if it is a round pole (which im assuming it is) then add gradual shading along the sides and highlight the middle. This gives it a more rounder feeling to it and makes it look so much better when its done.

The blood is also a no. It doesn't look like its on the blade, but more like you've splattered it on the icon. so try to get rid of that for now until it looks a bit better. An INCREDIBLE point you need to consider is to give it some dynamics. Your making it look like the simplest axe in the world when you keep it at a straight angle like that. Try to have it at a more dynamic angle and colour. Make it something that will impress people. To get them to say, WOW.

Read some good tutorials on the matter. My Tutorial gives a good idea on certain metal and items such as this. Other tutorials are great to use as well to get to know how to draw and such. And look at some pictures and icons of other more experienced people. Their ideas and methods can help you out a lot and hel pyou to be more succesful in art and such. Good Luck.

~Dentothor

Level 10
wow, thank you for your criticism.
yeah i didnt wanted the icon to get something special...
it was just for training purposes :)

i might not continue on that icon anyway.. i have some less exams left, and then i want to make some good icons. :)
lets see ...

thx again

also: Dentothor, i saved your tutorial in my bookmarks

Level 19
Hmm... You could've drawn the blade smaller while making the brownish handle longer... But if you look at it from a different perspective (I see it as an axe, I don't know about you), it actually looks okay...

Level 11
Hmm not to be mean or anything, but looking from the side kinda makes it look like an anchor... and the handle part, shouldnt it be a bit longer? but im just sayin :p hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.