• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first (serious) skin, need criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
This is my first serious effort to make a skin. (Yeah, noob)
This is the result, i need criticism. (GIMME MORE!)
Because it sucks, id how to improve.....
I attached the Screenshot and the skin.
And about the shading, this is metallic. So don't kill me.
Oh, last thing. It uses Space Marine model (It fits Chaos Space orc, but messy)
EDIT: Guys, updated. The first is low-quality.....

Attachments

• VIEW.jpg
    VIEW.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 198
  • DarkEnforcer.blp
    92.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

There's no freehand, the shading is really odd, there's hardly any definition. Really, first learn to draw, then learn to texture. Forgive me if I am mistaken, but this looks like a bunch of shapes "shaded" with a gradient tool. That's NOT how you skin. It might be useful to get the tones settled and for shading particularly smooth surfaces (you'd have to touch up with freehand afterwards, though, so it's better to learn a good shading technique right away), but this does go under the category filter and as such will not be accepted in our resource section.

Just thought I'd point that out before nice comments convince you into uploading this.

There's no freehand, the shading is really odd, there's hardly any definition. Really, first learn to draw, then learn to texture. Forgive me if I am mistaken, but this looks like a bunch of shapes "shaded" with a gradient tool. That's NOT how you skin. It might be useful to get the tones settled and for shading particularly smooth surfaces (you'd have to touch up with freehand afterwards, though, so it's better to learn a good shading technique right away), but this does go under the category filter and as such will not be accepted in our resource section.

Just thought I'd point that out before nice comments convince you into uploading this.

^
seriously dude, learn to draw and THEN start applying your skills. shiiK put it rather bluntly and harsh, but don't let your confidence falter. Just practice using the freehand tools such as the paintbrush, dodge, burn and so on. and read some tutorials to help improve your skills, as well as looking at experienced skinners and how they have textured. A lot have people have started like you. And they honed their skills to be amazing skinners. Myself, and mant others are great examples of this (even shiiK started out not too good ;P). so dont worry. skill comes with practice :) Good Luck!

~Dentothor

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

.. yes, by painting it metallic. Use the brush tool. Whatever opacity you like. Then paint it the way you want it to be.

Also, this is personal preference, but I believe I speak for the majority of digital artists when I claim that the burn and dodge tools are nearly as horrific as the smudge tool. Learn to shade using colours rather than a tool that uses computer logic to estimate a darker, or brighter, colour (and not a darker colour because of shadow, but because of burning). When you shade wood (for instance) with the burn tool, you don't get shaded wood, you get flat wood that has been burnt.

Finally, yes, I was a horrible texturer when I started as well (like Dentothor pointed out), but at least I knew how to draw. I've never used any other tool than a brush (and I, regrettably, used the smudge tool for smooth shading) to make my skins. Don't start off wrong by using filters and "cheats" for everything. I suspect that when you're saying "noising" you're referring to the filter. That's not the way to go.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Not black, never pitch black. Darker shade of the colour you're shading, preferably a slightly different hue.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Definitely a whole lot better. I wouldn't use both red and blue, though. They contrast too much and textures in WarCraft III are better off with only one highly saturated colour. Another issue with using red and blue is that they're both used as team-colours, and as such is confusing for the player. Otherwise, you're onto the right track. You've forgot to add highlights, though. Metal can often be shaded with almost white (bright blue and very bright yellow towards the centre - representing the sky and the sun as source), and very sudden.

images

Stainless_Steel.jpg

Metal_plate_on_table.jpg

I suggest you go for a few subtler colours (less saturation). Heck, bronze and steel might work out as variation enough together with the team-colour. Try to pull off the shading taking tips from pictures of real metal and textures here on THW with metal on them. I'm pretty sure Mr.Goblin has a texturing tutorial which explains how to make metal.

Keep posting your progress here. With the changes I've seen so far, I think you'll be making nice textures soon enough.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well, it looks better, but you're still using black for shadow. I can't judge it properly without seeing it on the model, though. Oh, and you still need to do the same to his face, and I suggest you work some on the gun as well.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Of course I have it installed, I just can't be bothered to download your file and view it right now. :3

Level 4
The main problem I see in this skin is that you tend to divide the whole skin in different bits (with solid color lines it seems), and pretty much threat each as if it had their unique light source.

As for the colors keep one plain color, add some shading (not as dark as the one you have) And add some minimal light spots. And yeah, avoid using the pure white and black, for shading.

You should also use hard edged brushes more.

Status
Not open for further replies.