• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Playing with a duo - questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi,

My brother and I used to play a ton of W3 RPGs back in the day and something triggered us to get back into this - after looking for fun RPGs this one obviously came out on top and we are having a blast playing it so far. The only problem is that it is becoming apparent that we won't be able to get very far with just the two of us, even with each of us having a mercenary. I know this may be somewhat frowned upon but I figure it can't hurt to ask if the following is possible:

1) Setting the game so we can each have two heroes instead of one - this would be ideal but I have a hard time imagining how it would work with the save system.

2) Less ideal but still could be fun, if we could set a way to allow each player to hire two mercenaries instead of one. I don't know what this would break as far as resurrecting / dismissing mercenaries, but worst case scenario we are prepared to restart the session to get back on track with mercenaries - the game is that good.

We would only be using this for private LAN play, so it would never get out on the web.

Level 9
If you guys are playing on Battle.net theres bots that run games.

Also my Brother and I have been able to duo up to alchemist before with us both being a Crusader and a Berserker, which should allow you two to get decently geared on both characters, then you can help eachother with healers and etc..

Level 8
You can reach lvl47 solo by just fighting mobs (keeping to mobs equal to or 1 level lower than you is the most optimal), so having a duo will just speed up the process. No tricks involved just fight. With regards to bosses, you can take on all world bosses at maybe a 2 or 3 level advantage, lower if you know exactly what to do.
Dungeons should be avoided for the most part. Farm D1 at lvl16 or so when you have gear from the next area and D2 after advancing your class (you can however beat the lower creeps at around lvl18 for anomines' quest). D3 you can duo comfortably only if one of you are playing a berserker or crusader and the other has a bishop or druid but there's few rewards there that are worth the trouble. Hill Giant can be duoed at lvl40 even with no tank or healer class.

There's very little reason to give special advantages for the tiny fraction of players who want to play offline solo or duo. It is meant to be a team game after all, this would discourage people from organising and playing as teams.

Level 1
I understand not wanting to make a special version for the few of us that don't have access/time to play with a larger player base - I just don't want to be forced to play a tank/healer duo in order to be able to advance - we are currently playing mage/thief and having a blast.

Haven't tried opening the map up in map editor and fiddling around with it, but I imagine it is protected being an ORPG, so I guess we'll get as far as we can - still having a great time though :)

Unfortunately, 2 mercenaries per player will not work for technical reasons.
Also, I want to give at least some incentive for players to actually play this in larger groups.

Mercenaries are pretty strong already, especially the tank and shaman mercs. You shouldn't have a problem duo'ing this game if you pick the right mercs. Obviously, you won't be able to do everything at the designated level. But with some slight overleveling, you should be able to beat at least D1, D2 and all of the non-dungeon bosses just fine, except for garg and broodmother.

Level 3
Mage/thief is fine for larger groups or farming trash mobs but i'd imagine you run into trouble quite soon with the d1 bosses. The tank merc is terrible at keeping aggro especially with both of you having high burst. I would really suggest duo squire or squire+healer (later on zerk+bish) if you really want to progress on later in the game.

My friend and i were able to kill everything except garg with just a bishop and zerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.