• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Player controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Most custom game mapmakers either deploy human or CPU player controllers. While the usage of humans is pretty obvious, CPU spots are more disputable since there are similar options: neutral, rescuable or even none. Now I do not know their exact behaviors but I want so indicate one specific disadvantage of CPU: They come with AI behaviors, more than standard behaviors, they do certain actions like ordering abilities in circumstances. I have seen situations where this proved to be bad when you wanted to define the behavior yourself. The last occurence even caused a freeze/crash because the mapmaker tried to redirect orders and the AI instantly meddled in between.

CPU players are the only ones besides humans to show up in the game lobby. In multiplayer you require at least two different teams, so for a PVE map, one CPU slot may be necessary. Well, actually I am not so sure about that. The game lobby not only depends on the W3I (scenario) data but also on the config function in the map script file. I think I constructed some abnormalities with this before.

Level 13
To disable Neutral Hostile:
JASS:
 call RemovePlayer(Player(12), PLAYER_GAME_RESULT_DEFEAT )

jk, I kinda wish it did though. Really needs to be a way to disable the CPU to allow smooth access of all 16 'Player' Slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.