• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Playable terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I'v started working on a dungeon-like map (mainly because I couldn't hold myself till the begining of mini mapping contest 8 so I guess I will skip it) and would like to share some work in progress.

WC3ScrnShot_063012_192236_04.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_063012_192424_07.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_063012_192343_06.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_063012_192300_05.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_063012_192901_09.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_063012_192130_01.jpg

NEW:

new1.jpg
new2.jpg
new3.jpg
new4.jpg

NEW:

attachment.php

117226d1345886568-playable-terrain-wc3scrnshot_082512_121936_02.jpg

Last edited:
Level 21
I'm almost too anxious for the next contest too :xxd: It should be starting with the arena unfreezing soon.

Very awesome terrain, and I love the atmosphere. I wish you would have waited to use this for the contest. Anyway, the first one looks the most epic to me with everything fitting together very well. These remind me of the hell level of Diablo 2.

The only one that really looks out of place is "WC3ScrnShot_063012_192300_05.jpg". The stone flooring is messy and looks like it would be very glitchy in a playable map. I guess that wouldn't be a problem if you're just using this map for terrain, but I would use a different stone tile or doodad altogether for that area. The third picture also has some messy terrain spikes under the nearest bridge, but I'm sure you didn't mean to leave those like that.

Level 14
I'm almost too anxious for the next contest too :xxd: It should be starting with the arena unfreezing soon.

Very awesome terrain, and I love the atmosphere. I wish you would have waited to use this for the contest. Anyway, the first one looks the most epic to me with everything fitting together very well. These remind me of the hell level of Diablo 2.

The only one that really looks out of place is "WC3ScrnShot_063012_192300_05.jpg". The stone flooring is messy and looks like it would be very glitchy in a playable map. I guess that wouldn't be a problem if you're just using this map for terrain, but I would use a different stone tile or doodad altogether for that area. The third picture also has some messy terrain spikes under the nearest bridge, but I'm sure you didn't mean to leave those like that.

Since this whole city is ruins from another culture part of the floorings are broken and parts of them are replaced by more dark version from the demons that inhabit it now. The red squared flooring under the brazier is made from destructable with walk-over specialization. The brick flooring is as close to the ground as possible but still small parts of heroes legs go under it. I will try to fix that.

The spikes on the 3rd picture are from the throne room that is mostly under the lava but yes I do notice they need fixing.

My whole concept for the map is a ruined castle/city once ruled by elves/humans and now redecorated by the demons.

And yes I am still working on it. Thanks for the feedback. I will get on it right now.

Level 12
This. IMO, I think the center of the room is too empty. Add more stuff like chairs or plants. Either that or make the room itself smaller by bringing the bookshelves closer.

This. I think you should've spread out the pile of bones across bottoms of the rock formations, instead of just collecting all the bones in one spot. If you intend for most of the bones to be there, add an occasional skull or femur or two at random places along the rocks.

This. A couple of bumps here and there along the road wouldn't hurt, but that's probably just me.

This. The bridge on the left looks a bit...weird. Not only is it not leading to where the stone path continues but looks as if it is there for nothing, like there is no dip in it. Make the depression more obvious and unless we can see the whole picture, where the bridge looks like it is leading to looks odd.

But honestly, this stuff is fantastic. Great job on this. :)

Level 14
Well most of the things you pointed are just design with simple explinations. The wide empty room will be host to a large demon and a mini-game that is not yet finished. Since the game will be single player but controlling 2 heroes at once I figured that large spaces will be needed to fight demons and avoud... you know .... flamable objects like carpets and crates. hehehe

The bone are gathered at one place because....well the demons inhabiting it thought it would be nicer. Just kidding. They are gathered there because on the wall above them there used to be a stony elevator thingy. When the lava flooded from the ground everyone panicly ran to it but died gathered there. There will be many many dialogues between the characters that will explain some of the more 'weird' stuff they stumble uphon.

The road in the 3rd screen I plan for a event about ghosts of the dead fighting the demons while the heroes try to find a way to enter the city. That is why I need it to be more wide and festive.

On the 4-th screen with the nature zone those are not bridges but more like platforms leading to activation circles (not yet placed). Just another mini-game.

Thanks for the positive feedback.I will improve them a lot after the writing contest is over and I could get back to work on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.