• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Playable Terrain: Islands

Level 21

Playable Terrain: Islands

In this tutorial, I will teach you how to make a proper island using the Sunken Ruins tileset, without editing any object data, in only 5 quick steps.

REQUIRED

All you need for this tutorial is your World Editor. Nothing less, nothing more.

PART ONE - LAYOUT

Step 1

I'm going to be using a 64x64 map, however you can use any size that you like - except that they do have size limits.
Firstly, make the map - Sunken Ruins; 64x64 - Sand is the base tile. Once created, cover it all in Deep Water (under Cliff tools). Then use the raise tool until you get some shallow water. Then, using the plateau tool, make that into an island, in the shape of a crescent. Smooth off the edges.

My Result: Tut1.jpg

Step 2

Then, take the raise height tool and raise the overall height of the island, I'll make mountains in the middle and lowlands around the outside. Leave some shallow water outside the outside.
Note: You can make any shape you like with the height, just use at least one or two mountains.

My Result: Tut2.jpg

Step 3

Now, for tiles. Use the Dirt tile to cover the mountains firstly, then use the Rough Dirt one and go over the crest of it. Then, use the Grassy Dirt and cover the slopes of any mountains you have. Mix in a bit of Grass and Dark Grass with them. For the shores, use sand with a mixture of Grassy Dirt and Dirt. On the crest of the mountain, use bricks or other floor tiles to make it seem like an ancient island.

My Result: Tut3.jpg

PART TWO - DOODADS

Step 4

Firstly, select the Sunken Ruins tree. Then, place it in groups of 3-6 normal trees, around random places on the island, except for on the crest. Then place 1-2 Sunken Ruins Canopy trees per group of trees. It makes it seem quite a bit more realistic. Then select the shrub doodad and place it randomly everywhere, especially around the trees. Be free with it.
However, DO NOT place it in shallow water and try to avoid putting it on dirt.

My Result: Tut4.jpg

Step 5

Then, select the rocks and place a few of them around the place - even in shallow water, and especially on dirt. Then take the shells and place some around the outside of the shore.
Now, for the crest. Use the rubble doodads and place a few on either end of it and some in the middle. Then place a few shrubs around each, making it look overgrown and old. Oh - and also, use flowers and put a bit of colour around the island, but not as many as shrubs. Also, use a few cattails, or river rushes, or whatever they're called, in the shallow water areas. Don't overdo them though.

My Result: Tut5.jpg

Download my result here: View attachment Tutorial Island.w3x

That's it, you're done. That wasn't very hard, was it? A very good playable terrain on an island.

Useful Tips & Tricks

• Use sea roses (or whatever the little green doodad is in English) to make a more thick layer of grass. They'll look like oversized leaves.
• When placing rocks, try to keep them in the overgrown, green variation out of the water and the other ones in the water.
• Try to keep shells in water. Yes, a bit obvious, but people still do it. Water meaning Shallow water, by the way.
• When placing rubble doodads, keep them in clusters. They look better than if they are spaced out - sort of like a big building.
• When doing a mountain crest, try to place important doodads (ie. rubble/buildings) on it instead of things like shrubs and rocks to crowd it. It centers attention.
• Place Rock Spires (the large ones) a bit out in the water to make it seem as if there's a reef around the island.
• If making a melee map using this template, make larger lowlands around the mountain(s). It gives space for units and wood.
• This sort of terrain should be used for a map with lots of islands or one with an upsized one, or one where you don't need much room to move, ie. an island survival mini.

Hope it helped you, thanks!

Last edited:
Level 36
Alright, well skipping ahead of all the terrain nazi stuff, here's my review of the tutorial itself.

- The images are kinda hard to look at from that perspective. Perhaps use a more game-camera-like angle.
- You might want to add the tip that if you're making a jungle island, doodads in very thick clusters with winding paths here and there adds effect (I know it's kinda terrain nazi but it's necessary for the tutorial! >:O)
- It might be better to include some more detailed description of why exactly the user is doing what you're telling them to do. Personally, I prefer guides that leave some room for the user to do what might fit their map a little more rather than a step-by-step tutorial.

Overall rating: 3.8/5

Level 9
The truth is...it looks much better using this "isle-creation-method", but in game all the units can move underwater, a thing that looks bizzare.