• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Planes of Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya,
Here's the 'opposite' of the Planes of Hell - in a way. I've also added them to my showcase.
Here they are:

EDIT: Added a 'fixed' version.

"Planes of Peace"
planesofpeacecm5.jpg

"Planes of Peace II"
planesofpeaceiinv8.jpg

"Planes of Peace III"
planesofpeaceiiihv1.jpg

"Planes of Peace (Fixed)"
planesofpeacefixedzb9.jpg

"Planes of Peace II (Fixed)"
planesofpeaceiifixedev0.jpg

"Planes of Peace III (Fixed)"
planesofpeaceiiifixedvi1.jpg

Last edited:
Level 34
Hmm, I don't like the color of grass with that tile, in fact I just don't like the random placement of the grass, maybe if it was closer in color it would look better though, or if you clumped it, with rocks as well. I also don't care for the tile variation.

Keep up the good work though!

Level 34
I attempted fixing it, adding another tile, giving it more variation and tinting the grass.

It looks a ton better now! The grass doesn't stand out. Everything blends better.

I really like the first of the fixed ones. Great camera angle.

Level 8
These plains are not really plain are they?

A plain is a flattish area -

narfost_plain.jpg

Image from: http://www.santharia.com/pictures/quellion/narfost_plain.htm

Two features of a "plain" is long rolling hills, usually very low - looking more like a calm day on the ocean. Few to very little trees - usually located at the bottom of the shallow valleys or along river/stream beds and lots and lots of grass or low lying ground cover.

Hills are usually far and few between with wide near flat areas.

Nebraska is plain land it is a slight incline from the east to the west - over the whole length of the state. Here and there the occasional hill will rise up, but all in all its more like a table-top that inclines or declines to one side. (We drove through Nebraska a few years ago on the I-80 it is nothing but near flat and lots, and lots, and lots of corn :grin:)

Your image above is of hills. Now if you lowered the hills in the foreground (close to the camera) to mere long humps, leaving the tower on the distant hill it would be more along the line of a plain.

I'm not being the spelling police in my next comment, the spelling "Plane" is more of like the air plane kind or a tool used to plane a material flat and smooth. Plain is used for land form and also for describing a thing as in "that chair is plain". We usually refer to land forms as plains as in The Great Plains.

I tell you this to make it easier for you to find images on the net for the land form kind of plain.....

other images of plains:

http://bejoscha.tavernmaker.de/bejoscha/land/plains/pages/plains-018.htm

http://www.gilgordon.com/escape/35nov00/image1.htm

And a web search of images of Plains

http://images.ask.com/pictures?qsrc=167&o=0&l=dir&q=plains

All and all on a scale of 1-10 I would rate the Plains of Peace at 8 or 8.5.

I think you could add a bit of variety in color with your rushes/grass by making a few customized ones and lowering the red and the blue part of the spectrum. Clumping together a few light green, dark green and brown grass/rushes will add a bit of depth and realism to them.

Why more green? Because you are using the moss covered Sunken Ruins rock - those have a very strong green color, something you would find in the spring or the summer not in the fall feeling brown rushes (as grass). Brown is indicative of low water in the region - thus moss would not exist to this great extent - lichen yes.

Either that or replace the moss covered rock with other rocks from another set or with Rock Chunks (destructibles) if you desire to use rock chunks in a map and do not want their H P bar and do not want them destructible, then you need to make customized ones and make them say "pathing blocker" (relatively easy to do).

Level 34
wraith, that was quite the speech on plains. lol
Doesn't really matter what he calls it, although you are right.

Level 8
wraith, that was quite the speech on plains. lol
Doesn't really matter what he calls it, although you are right.

I only give 'lectures' to those who I think have potential to achieve more. No it doesn't matter what he calls it, however if he is really aiming for a plain, then all the information he can get on plains is necessary for him to achieve this.

Level 25
Oh yeah, just noticed Plains is spelled wrong lol

And plains are usually flat. And the image you provided as an example is flat, except a little on the far left corner.
Actually... plains are either two things: Plains of just flat ground as far as the eye-can-see, and hills (The savannah desert is a good example)
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.