• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Pitch-black tile/environment/area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 33
Anyone knows how to make a certain area on the map to look exactly pitch-black on the tile (ground, whatever you wanna call) ?

The idea is to make the camera to focus on that region (think of it as 2-Dimensional view from the top) and still have Doodads (or Units) to be placed on that said regions.

Think of it as, a pitch-black background, and there are some information that would like to be displayed on that background - what method is the most effective to create that kind of vibe ?.

Level 33
Well you could make a completely black ground texture. One already exists in-game (the "abyss" tiles from the Outland tileset, though they're set to be unwalkable by default).
Yea this is what I'm talking about, I mean the effect is a nice touch, but too bad it's unwalkable :(

But even with that effect, you can still the very soil from below the placed abyss, what I want is to completely block what you can see on the ground, only black covering the region.

Level 6
Yea this is what I'm talking about, I mean the effect is a nice touch, but too bad it's unwalkable :(

But even with that effect, you can still the very soil from below the placed abyss, what I want is to completely block what you can see on the ground, only black covering the region.
I think that using alpha tile is the best solution to this problem, with the alpha tile the ground become transparent and then a black sky will make it look like an abyss or something like that while units and doodads will just stay on the invisible ground. The standard black sky of the editor is not the best but it should be able to accomplish what you want hopefully. I suggest using this alpha tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.