• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #8 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

phoenix%20trial.png

number.png
8.png

results.png

429601585_e074005760_o.jpg

Food
Contestants were to each create 3 food icons.

contest%20judging.png

Shiik - 36/50

Creativity
07/10
Bread and meat are pretty boring, everyone expects bread and meat, but man does not live upon bread and meat alone. PINEAPPLE WOOOT! Creativity points for the pineapple, and i like the uncooked meat slab instead of just a cooked T-bone steak or something.
Theme06/10
Theme: food.... yup, that is definitely food. How do these three icons relate to eachother though? Uhh... i guess you could make a pineapple teriaki burger or something.
Compatibility07/10
Tough to say for sure. They're not EXACTLY blizzard's style, but they still fit in the game nicely.
Technicalities16/20
Technically speaking (/me pushes up glasses) The food item centered, while greatly overused and often boring, is effective in these icons. The pineapple's glow is brighter than the meat and bread's glow. You have a lot of great detail in the images themselves and they are distinctly recognizable. Overall a very good job. There isn't a lot of style or creativity in the execution, but it's a well made, if generic, entry.

Kola - 35/50

Creativity
06/10
Again, the icon is dead-centered, an overused perspective. The halved slice with the full fruit for the kiwi and orange are nice, and add a little variety, but in the end is also rather cliche. As for the actual food choice, Orange and Banana are about as canon a fruit as you can get, save for the apple. The kiwi is somewhat unique.
Theme08/10
Mhrmm, those are all definitely edibles. I can tell by some of the pixels and from eating quite a few foods in my day. As to how all 3 icons relate to eachother... why... they're all fruits of course!
Compatibility07/10
Do they fit ingame? Sure, I'd even say that the ones without glow fit in better. (the alternates with the glow looks 'tacked on', so good thing that's not your entry). As for the style, like shiik's, its not QUITE blizzard, but it's close enough
Technicalities14/20
THE BANANAS! THOSE GODDAMN BANANAS! They.... irritate me. The bottom most banana is super skinny, as thin as the stem, it should be curvier. And then you have this fat chode of a banana in the middle. It just looks disproportionate. The kiwi and orange seem fine, proportionately speaking. And again, like shiik's, the style isnt particularly bold or recognizable, its effective, but nothing special.

Tr!kzZ - 24/50

Creativity
04/10
Bread, Meat, and Cheese.... you cant get more predictable than that. You have the item centered on a wooden cutting board. Sure that's a bit different, but again, it's not an interesting or engaging perspective. And all 3 of them are the same in terms of composition, just sitting there.... on a block of wood.... being CUT.
Theme08/10
Definitely food.... I've made enough sandwiches in my time to know sandwich components when i sees 'em. So they are all food and all relate to eachother in the most rudimentary of culinary dishes.
Compatibility04/10
No, These would look pretty shitty ingame compared to other food items. People think that adding glows for a background is like an AURA OF POWER. and gives their icons +12 to awesomesauce. Not every blizzard icon has a glow. Only the items that makes sense glow, like a magic sword, or an orb of fire. "replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btncheese.blp" has not a glow mine eyes can see. Aside from the glow, the composition is cluttered, you have a BIG chunk of food, a tiny slice of food, that wooden cutting board and a knife all just plopped down.
Technicalities08/20
Putting the foodstuffs on a cutting board was a.... unique idea (to use the term loosely) but failed to actually ENHANCE the icon. [see above for comments on THE GLOW].... Why is the "sausage"... white? have you ever SEEN a sausage that is white on the outside and red on the inside? (inuendo notwithstanding) I suppose you meant it to be the plastic wrap over the sausages like you see in delis .... but ... the middle ages didnt have plastic wrap (wc3-esq era) and even then... you're SUPPOSE to unwrap it before you cut it. i can see that white wrap on the sausage slices. Quality-wise... the icons are rather blurry and undefined. WHY did you make the wooden boards so red for the sausage and so light brown for the bread? it blends together and looks terrible.

krl70 - 17/50

Creativity
07/10
Ah yes, certainly creative.... Cant really say much else other than that... Well, i dont WANT to say much else, but here i am... judging.
Theme04/10
I... I guess it's food... by the loosest of definitions. The 3 icons dont really relate to eachother either. You have an eyeball, a neck, and some cheese. I guess i missed that episode of "Emeril Live".... BAM!
Compatibility01/10
( ಠ_ಠ) <I would say that about wraps it up. If you put these icons ingame, your computer might just go "an hero" on you. Doesnt fit any of the other icons. If you want these icons ingame. you're going to have to remake everything else.... and its going to look awful.
Technicalities05/20
Terrible shading, simple perspective, blurry, undefined, poor color choice. the list is running on energizer batteries here. it just keeps going and going. That neck looks more like a slice of bicep. Seeing as how necks usually have an esophagus, instead of just being pink pudding with a single neck vertebrae. who has neon green eyes? no definition on the iris. the cheese wheel... THE CHEESE WHEEL. it looks like a cheap paper plate. HOW is that cheese? it's a flat circle.

Darkdeathknight - 38/50

Creativity
08/10
Yea, pretty unique. Unique YET recognizable. perspective is somewhat varied, which is refreshing after looking at the other CENTERED entries.
Theme07/10
Well... 2/3 arent so much food as they are... DEAD ANIMALS. But *shrugs* i guess it's basically the same thing. As to how they relate to eachother... yea, i get that it's all meat. But the "rabbit drumstick" is pretty different in composition than the pig head and the fish, which are more similar to eachother.
Compatibility07/10
Hrmm... DO they fit ingame? I'd say that the drumstick definitely fits ingame..... the pig head and dead fish...mmm, not AS much. Hrmm... i'd say that the pig head and dead fish are a little too busy, they would look out of place.
Technicalities16/20
It has a lot of nice detail, and i DO love the different angles you go on them. The pig and fish seem a bit too cluttered composition-wise. But the shading is great, has some nice contrast and it's drawn cleanly.

supertoinkz - 27/50

Creativity
05/10
hum... is it creative? well, yes and no. No one else did ice cream.... but those are definitely the 3 major forms of ice cream, scoop, popscicle, and shake. you used the chocolate flavor twice. And it would have been nice to see the milkshake in a more interesting glass, like a 1950's flanged design, instead of just a strait simple glass.
Theme06/10
Definitely food, eeyup, and definitely the tastier kind of food. Ya, they all relate to eachother, (icecream) but why would you need 3 different kinds of icecream in a map? seems like the role it fills is to specific.
Compatibility06/10
the shading is blurry and none of them have particularly great contrast. but for the most part i guess you could wedge them into the game.
Technicalities10/20
Well, like i said, that whole fuzzy shading doesnt look the best. The perspective on the milkshake glass is skewed. The icecream cone doesnt have very good definition on those wafflecone ridges. What kind of icecream is that strange medium blue color? I've seen light blue bubblegum, but this looks like icecream paint. dark red icecream? just a very strange looking combination of flavors.

NFwar - 48/50

Creativity
9/10
I approve. thanksgiving extravaganza, very useful for general farm bumper crops. Recognizable yet still has a good variety.
Theme10/10
Perfect, fits the wc3 game and games like it, found on farms, all vegetables, yet each unique.
Compatibility10/10
I would say that these were director's cuts. They're centered so you see the majority of the veggie, yet they have an interesting perspective. No stupid glow effects, just straightforward and defined. It gets the point across.
Technicalities19/20
Without a doubt, the best icons here. Great shading, fantastic attention to detail. the colors are a bit saturated, but that fits the wc3 style

Friky - 40/50

Creativity
08/10
Delicious, and for the most part, creative choices. I like the angle on the candybar, but the pancakes and cake are both just sitting there on a plate.
Theme07/10
Mmhrmm, that's food alright. As to how they relate to eachother.... they... dont quite hit the mark. Pancakes are a breakfast item, candy and cake is dessert. cake and pancakes are pastry items, but candy is not. candy and cake are chocolaty, but the pancakes are not. I guess you could categorize them as all being "delicious".... or you could say candybar+pancakes=cake if you use your imagination. but for the most part, they dont quite fit perfectly together.
Compatibility07/10
Meh, they are well drawn and could fit in with most of the other icons. But those backgrounds really dont do it for me. They detract from the actual focal point of the model. The backgrounds are too busy, too bright and the colors are too synonymous to the foreground.
Technicalities18/20
the items in the icons and the overall icons themselves are well drawn. but the composition isnt quite right. The backgrounds are too loud. the cake and pancakes are the exact same perspective and on the same plate. But i dont mean to gripe. They have great shading and detail and are great, useable icons. I would say these are my second place choice.

Bloodraven - 29/50

Creativity
06/10
Meh, steak, and lemons are boring, the fishstick is an interesting choice.... do you like fishsticks?:ogre_hurrhurr: *COUGH* :srsface: The creativity of the composition is rather boring. Just a lump of brown meat centered, a super close up on the fishstick. Lemon with that whole and half cut thing that you always see on juice cartons.
Theme05/10
Edibles? yea. Fit together? I guess people put lemon on their fishsticks, but 2 meats with a citrus fruit?
Compatibility07/10
I'd say the bear meat would fit ingame the best, even though it's the simplest looking. The fishstick is zoomed in too close and the lemon is a painfully bright yellow smear.
Technicalities11/20
Why is the lemon the only icon with a glow? The beat "steak" really looks more like a burger patty. and the fishstick looks more like a caramel covered marshmallow. It doesnt really have any texture to it. the breading isnt crumbly, the fish isnt flaky. its all just .... smoothly wrinkled. The meat is solid brown. the lemon's skin doesnt even have dimpling. The shading is well done for the most part, and they aren't BAD icons, there just... wasnt a lot of attention to detail.

m0rbid - 34/50

Creativity
04/10
hum.... you have a great veggie variety. But they are ALL bright honking red. There are green peppers, orange and yellow bellpeppers, tomatoes have a little green in them if they aren't overripe. I would say that they were really great choices, if they werent all eye-piercingly in your face with the blazing red and green crayon.
Theme10/10
This is really the most perfect combination ive seen for the contest. You could make chile out of those ingredients or some kind of spice. delicious and useful.
Compatibility07/10
Errr... yea, they would fit ingame. They're drawn well enough, but the composition is as simple as you can get.
Technicalities13/20
It's like a fairly good artist, with a good concept put absolutely no effort in the actual design. Yea the veggies themselves are interesting and unique. But the colors were chosen by a 5 year old. tomatoes are red, so i will use this solid red crayon and nothing else. The key to natural coloring is mixing colors.

BAM!
emeril1_t290.jpg

important note: i just gave everyone a lump score out of 25. because some of those criteria overlapped anyway.
also general statements - seriously guys you don't need to stick glow on everything. if you look at blizzard icons mundane
stuff doesn't have a glow, it is only the fancy mystical stuff that gets a nice glow. also monochrome glows are really ...
ugh.

ALSO as a whole there weren't very many creative entries. pretty much everyone just borderised still lifes.
one more also; lots of people loaded their icons up with nice detail, but coloured everything with lifeless colours. compare
with blizzard icons, which have much nicer saturation

shiiK - if your theme was generic unrelated food, it worked. otherwise it looks like you just painted random stuff.
looks scratchy, like you were working at true res with a 1 pixel brush, or sharpened a few times too many. also, the colours
are pretty dead and boring, like a colourised b+w picture. the pinepple had some nice colour variation but the others are
pretty dull. i don't think using glow the same colour as the subject really works out, just makes the icon even more bland;
and as said up above the glow is out of place to begin with. details were nice and all but still pretty average icons.
17/25

kola - okay, all fruit. i can cope with that. colour variation was nice, also nice was that you had glowless variants.
although i do think there is a clause somewhere that limits how many icons you can present for judgment ...
nonetheless, a pretty nice set. cool that the bananas had a little hue change at the ends and so on.i would have thrown more
points at you if you'd made up foods instead of doing still life type things though.
19/25

Tr!KzZ - lots of stuff going on here but the colours are pretty dull. to be honest, i can't tell what the first one is, and
the chopping board doesn't help matters either. your lighting is pretty diffused so everything just looks veeeeeeeeery flat;
if you'd just stuck with a black background and upped the value contrast it would have brought them out a lot better.
colours are pretty dull as said, but at least your style is cohesive. you do have lots of detail but not enough contrast to
make it all obvious.
17/25

Krl70 - uhh. technically the worst so far, but you're the first one to actually have something creative. (well, except that
there already is an eye on a stick in warcraft. just saying.) the perspective on the cake makes it pretty hard to recognise;
also your composition is bizarre. you could have stuck some candles on there or something to fill up the space, as is you've
left a third of it blank. the raptor neck is preeeetty unrealistic. you've forgotten to insert the spine and windpipe and
all that at the cross section, but eh. colours are really simple and not particularly realistic at all, plus the lighting
of it ... does not match that of a cylinder. rim lighting on the scales was nice, except your shadows aren't dark enough to
fully take advantage of it and the form is all muddled from the lighting as a whole. eye on the stick is alright, the eye
itself should probably be deformed (...actually it would have probably already exploded by now) where it's been pierced.
lighting could have been exaggerated a lot more.
not reviewing the cheese, 'cause you're only meant to have three icoooooooons
15/25

darkdeathknight - you basically have the same problems as Tr!KzZ - lots of detail but your colours and values are so dull
that it doesn't really stand out. as a set, it's kinda odd that one is on a board, one is on a plate or other, and one is
just floating on black. it looks like to make your highlights you just slide the lightness up, without adjusting hue and
saturation to match. MAKE A NOTE HERE, CHILDREN. that makes everything look like plasticine. on your fish, which should be
glistening, you need contrast and quick changes in value, with tiny glossy highlights. except on everything you have ambient
uniform lighting. as with some other entries, it looks like you scraped your detail up with a teensy brush, so everything is
scratched up. it really works out a lot better if you use massive brushes on a larger canvas and scale down.
18/25

NFWar - oh thank god, someone who doesn't use glow to fill up icons. detail here is very nicely defined, and you actually
have variations in hue. hoorah! good consistency in composition and level of detail, filled up the whole space. i really
don't have much to say here. actually the biggest niggle i have is that you may have overloaded the detail on the corn, if
you compare it with the command card you nicely provided, your icons have a fair bit more detail. oh well. oh. and yes.
creativity. fantasy food for a fantasy world. but considering that not too many people went out of their way to be creative,
ehhh
23/25

FrIkY - yeah, uh, this is the ultimate manifestation of background glow woe (TM). the problem here is that your icons are
all so obscenely epic that they'll overshadow all comparable icons next to them. which is alright as an ultimate item, i
guess, but i would have preferred a plain blank background ...
the rendering is pretty nice here, except the cake comes off more as burnished metal than delicious fluffy goodness. the
real villain here is the glow, it just detracts from the warcrafty-ness, not helped by the fact that that isn't really a
standard blizzard-esque glow. a pretty cool set as standalones though.
21/25

supertoinkz - dull and misshapen. everything there just looks lifeless and endlessly boring. the milkshake has major
distortion issues, the saving grace is the rimlighting you have on some of them. not a very appetizing set though. sorry,
your stuff just looks like plasticine ... there is a theme here though. some points for thaaaaaaat ...
15/25

Blood Raven - your fishsticks are preeeeeeeetty hard to recognise except that they're labelled as such. i don't like how
streaky your icons look, you should have been more bold and just whacked away at them with a more opaque brush. the softness
just looks out of place especially in the shadows, the cross section shows that it's meant to be a prism but the soft shadow
suggests a cylinder. lemons are probably the best here, although again, GLOW ARHGSHGHG, and again, using yellow on the
background and subject is not the greatest idea. the strands of steam oozing out of this apparent bear stake don't really
work out. the brush you used is too tiny . again your shading doesn't really match the flattened cylinder shape i assume
that its meant to be.
16/25

M0rbid - good to see someone with an obvious theme. not without problems though - they're all kinda misshapen, and that
glaring shade of red could have been nice if you'd added some orange to soften it up. too monochrome to really fit in with
blizzard icons, a blue rimlight or something could have offset how creepily harsh that colour is. the composition is nice
enough, except the chilli looks a bit lonely surrounded by all that black, when its buddies fill up the whole space. not particularly
outstanding in execution or inventiveness, but i appreciate the cohesion
18/25

((anarchianbedlam's judging + (ike_ike's judging * 2)) * 0.6) + ((Votes / Total votes) * 40) = Total score

shiiK: ((36 + (17 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((16 / 122) * 40) = 47.2459016
kola: ((35 + (19 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((5 / 122) * 40) = 45.4393443
Tr!KzZ: ((24 + (17 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((0 / 122) * 40) = 34.8
Krl70: ((17 + (15 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((0 / 122) * 40) = 28.2
darkdeathknight: ((38 + (18 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((11 / 122) * 40) = 48.0065574
NFWar: ((48 + (23 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((23 / 122) * 40) = 63.9409836
FrIkY: ((40 + (21 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((47 / 122) * 40) = 64.6098361
supertoinkz: ((27 + (15 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((2 / 122) * 40) = 34.8557377
Blood Raven: ((29 + (16 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((4 / 122) * 40) = 37.9114754
M0rbid: ((34 + (18 * 2)) * 0.6) + ((14 / 122) * 40) = 46.5901639

phoenix%208%20winners.png

4th - shiiK
5th - M0rbid
6th - kola
7th - Blood Raven
8th - supertoinkz
9th - Tr!KzZ
10th - Krl70

Poll | Contest

Level 26
ike_ike, you didn't read the descriptions, did you? Neither did you download the icons.
Krl70 specifically said the Cake icon was an early WIP that he scratched. It was not included in his entry.
kola specifically said that his entry is the glow-less one.

i reviewed them in the order i saw them. i was in a panic as someone was yelling at me to get the judging done. actually i think that was you. now you've gotten me all flustered.

consider that a free judging! lucky you, getting to read more of my fabulous writing. i am sure that those fatal misjudgments of mine will have chaotic effects later, but not now

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Woah, I made 4th as a freshy, I'm satisfied. :)
Oh, and ike, yes, I did paint them in actual size (I found it incredibly annoying to resize them - I painted the pineapple in 128x128 first, but when resized, all the details were lost, and it all got cluttered, so I repainted it in 64x64), and my theme was food, as the contest stated. I guess by asking for three icons depicting food, you wanted three icons depicting food that is related in some way, and if I knew, I guess I'd make whole pineapple, slices of pineapple and chunks of pineapple, alas, I did not know that was what you asked for.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

god why the hell did that anarchian guy have to judge? i have no confidence in his abilities and he is a giant douche. i think we should disqualify him....

congrats to the contestants, just a shame somejudge fucked it all up

:ogre_icwydt:

Level 34
Old news, I know, but still, thank you for voting and thank you judges for judging. I expected anarchianbedlam's judging to be... peculiar, but I would be happier with a more professional review, but whatever, we're judging icons for an ancient video game here, not world-class paintings. Also, NFWar, you're the real winner here, not me. I just won because I made cake, that's it. You, on the other hand, have the skill. Darkdeathknight, congratulations to you, too!

Old news, I know, but still, thank you for voting and thank you judges for judging. I expected anarchianbedlam's judging to be... peculiar, but I would be happier with a more professional review, but whatever, we're judging icons for an ancient video game here, not world-class paintings. Also, NFWar, you're the real winner here, not me. I just won because I made cake, that's it. You, on the other hand, have the skill. Darkdeathknight, congratulations to you, too!
hmmm i hate to agree with you, cos you're an excellent winner. and you're icons were good :)

but NFWar made stuff beyond awesomeness... and so did darkdeathknight... their entries were... inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.