• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Phoenix Trial #1 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
This time the results for good, with some congratulations to the winner and more luck to the other participants next time. Nevertheless, it was quite a challenge, and some icons were really amazing. Here are the scores:

Werewulf - Beetle Queen Mirror - (28/30)
I decided to take this icon because I found that it looked most warcraftish, highest quality, and overall the best. Nothing much to comment, mostly praising it.

- Creativity (9/10) – I’ll just drag a point from you as I believe that mirrors are not a 10/10 idea. However, I like the shape you gave the mirror, even the mysterious aura.
- Blizzard Feeling (9/10) – The only thing about which I could complain here is the amount of detail, compared to Blizzard. As this is probably useable as an item, it should have been “zoomed in”. Except that, excellent!
- Technical Note (10/10) – You are an amazing artist, so I really don’t have anything to complain here. I find that there is a bit too much black, but that does not affect the Technical Note as overall, the icon is magnificent.

FINAL SCORE: (93.3%+40.7%)/2 = 67%

Chriz – Frightening Reality - (29/30)
I decided to take Frightening Reality but I could’ve just as well taken the others, as they are quite the same idea. However, I feel that this icon has the most potential.

- Creativity (9/10) – In my opinion, the idea is splendid, and quite well implemented. The only thing I could complain again is that we have a quite plain mirror (sorry but in my opinion this is not 100% original). You could’ve improved it by breaking the mirror (for that I personally would’ve given you 10/10).
- Blizzard Feeling (10/10) – Correct proportions and size. Definitely blizzard style, whether it is an item or an ability.
- Technical Note (10/10) – Again, nothing to complain here. It is pro quality. Very well done! It is detailed yet not exaggerated.

FINAL SCORE: (96.6% + 29.6%)/2 = 63.1%

Camel's Hump - Premonition - (21/30)
By far this icon was the best from the pack. Why? Because the other two were too “rich” in effects. I know which your intentions were, but with all due respect, the amount of effects lead to exaggerated brightness or just a general chaos.

- Creativity (9/10) - I kinda liked the idea of the icon, but I couldn’t really get perfectly well what it represented. I mean… was the mirror supposed to cover the eye or was it the eye itself?
- Blizzard Feeling (5/10) – I’m sorry, but this is definitely not Blizzard quality. Some parts are too realistic, the mirror looks more like a coin… the axe is could have been “zoomed in”. You have to work on this aspect. Examine some Blizzard icons carefully in the future.
- Technical Note (7/10) – The face is very well done, but there are two elements that I don’t like: the axe, and the mirror. The mirror doesn’t really look like a mirror, and the axe could use more detail. It looks cartoonish.

FINAL SCORE: (70% + 7.4%)/2 = 38.7%

Chaos - Reflection - (13/30)
I have to admit that it was very difficult to choose the ‘best’ icon to judge. All icons had good and bad points. In the end I decided to pick this icon, because overall it looked best to me.

- Creativity (6/10) – Hands are subjects quite exploited in the Warcraft world (and not only). Though they open a lot of possibilities and can help your imagination flow, I fear that they lack super originality. I liked the ethereal hand and the energy though.
- Blizzard Feeling (3/10) – I’m sorry but the Blizzard feeling is quite bad, mostly because the brightness of the icon and the general construction. Please check other blizzard icons as subjects of comparison (not in terms quality, but in terms of “general sketching” and the general view upon the icon). You still have to work on this subject, so I suggest you study in depth some Blizzard icons.
- Technical Note (4/10) – You definitely have a lot of talent, but unfortunately resizing makes the icon look poor. I’ve seen how hard you’re struggling and how well your art looks. Unfortunately, icons are a bit more tricky. You forgot to zoom in from time to time and check how the image would look on a 64x64 scale. Brightness is also a big problem here. Keep trying though, and I’m sure you’ll succeed.

FINAL SCORE: (43.3%+7.4%)/2 = 25.35%

BlackDoom – Uncanny Perception (16/30)
I chose Uncanny Perception as it was the only icon which could actually prove implementable in a Warcraft map (no offense).

- Creativity (6/10) – I’m sorry, but either I lack imagination, or the idea is a bit too complex. I didn’t get much from what your icon was supposed to represent, but if I interpreted it correctly, it’s some kind of weapon in which the enemy is reflected, therefore being able to “predict” where it is positioned => better aim.
- Blizzard Feeling (5/10) – It has some wonderful Blizzard-effective elements here (such as the mirror and the evil eyes) but the other parts of the “weapon” are non-Blizzardish.
- Technical Note (5/10) – You are definitely a brilliant artist, but once again, you have quite some problems when it comes to iconing (atleast in this case). You forgot to zoom in more, and therefore, the final result looks cramped. A lot of useless details and some important ones lost. Work on this aspect, and next time try to base your art off a maximum of 192x192 (as far as I heard this is the maximum recommended… quoting from the masters).

FINAL SCORE: (53.3%+7.4%)/2 = 30.35%

Therefore we have our winner: Werewulf! She will be granted the reputation promised and the special medal icon pretty soon. And congratulations to the other participants too. It was a very nice challenge and I am proud to see people involved into these contest.

See you at the next Phoenix Trial round. Until then, cheers!

-Daelin

Level 8
Congrats Wulf, and I really thank you Daelin, that helps me a lot to improve next time, but I think it's most difficult to apply the Blizzard style for me.

NICE CONTEST, good ENDING. Even me as last guy :(

Chaos

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Close call.

Congrats Wulf.

Level 11
As I mentioned before, votes are very important. Even though I found Chriz' slightly better, the public vote had something to say too. He beat you at judging by 3% but the difference between the votes was 10.9%. Therefore, you are proclaimed the winner.

Why the judging then you may ask? Well... in the case of ties or unfair public votes, based on non-experienced opinions, a judge has something to say. That's kinda the basic principle.

-Daelin

Level 8
In addition it prevents public vote abuse.

Nice award Icon :)

Phoenix1Award.gif

Chaos

Level 7
i liked BlackDoom's Ambush Icon cuz it looked really cool and had good detail. What it was supposed to be was that the Sword weilder was holding his sword at an angle to see what was coming at him. He saw the ambush and was preped to attack when they got close. I didn't much care for the other ones he did cuz they didin't seem as detailed or as imaginative as the Ambush icon.

Thats my 2 cents unfortunatly i didn't get to vote cuz i didnt have access to internet during that period of time.

oh well congratz to Wulf who made some great ones too.

Level 9
In Ambush I meant to represent a thief or something alike that stalks a group of Footmen. I know I specified it when I made my submission here.

Other than that, I think it was a nice idea, yet I failed to make them look good, both Ambush and the third icon. I think my best shot was Uncanny Perception.

Anyway... That's it, now, isn't it?
:)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.