• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #5 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Trial #5
Hero Ability Icon Replacements

I'd like to formally apologize to all of you for the long delay in judging for this contest
and the unannounced closing of the voting thread. On behalf of those involved
in the running of this contest, I am sorry.

But now the results are in and they are as follows:

Thanks to zombie2279 and General Frank for judging this contest!

HappyCockroach

Creativity: 20/30
Blizzard Feeling: 20/30
Quality: 28/40
Votes: 6

Notes: I'm satisfied with the level of creativity and the execution is good aswell. I especially like how the Doom icon differs from Blizzard's idea, but it is obviously of the worst quality. Attempting to re-create the Storm, Earth and Fire icon was a brave idea, but it didn't turn out too good, as most details are lost. I also have to say it wasn't the most creative move. The Transmute is obviously the best one, it has a nice Blizzard Feeling, good quality and a nice creativity factor. The Forked lightning one is good aswell.

bigapple90

Creativity: 10/30
Blizzard Feeling: 5/30
Quality: 15/40
Votes: 11

Notes: Not exactly a line of winner icons, wouldn't say they're contest quality either. Most of them simply symbolise the effect/unit the spell is supposed to create, which is not exactly too creative. The death and decay would be the most creative perhaps, but it totally lacks shadings and the effect around it is generic, random and lacking in quality, mostly due to the lack of shadings and details at most of the icons.

ike_ike

Creativity: 30/30
Blizzard Feeling: 23/30
Quality: 35/40
Votes: 15

Notes: I have to say, I'm amazed. Your style is really damn unique, too bad that's not a factor I have to rate. My personal favourite is the Charm replacement, it's quite creative and definitely a rather good execution. The Death Pact is also rather awesome, more creative than the Charm one, but it's a bit too crowded. The other two are not exactly the best, mainly because they look too simple, seeing that both consist of mainly waves. I have to admit, they're both quite charming anyway.

bananaHUNT

Creativity: 25/30
Blizzard Feeling: 26/30
Quality: 37/40
Votes: 18

Notes: The whole set is absolutely awesome quality and has a really nice Blizzard feeling to it. The Dark Ritual one and the Big Bad Voodoo are the ones I like the most. They both are very creative and very good quality at the same time. The Tornado is quite good aswell, it has a nice apocalyptic feeling, but it's too simple compared to the rest. The Phoenix and the Reincarnation are good too, but I don't really find them too creative, as they pretty much symbolise the action the spell commits.

The_Silent

Creativity: 10/30
Blizzard Feeling: 15/30
Quality: 28/40
Votes: 3

Notes: I don't think using the same base for the whole set was a too creative idea in this particular case altough they would be very good for another theme, or for a specific model. The Blink and the Fereal Spirit both lack an object, which I dispise, the effect around them is good too, and I'd say these are the most creative ones. The hand displayed on the Unholy Aura icon looks like a spider of some sort, I somehow don't find the anathomy realistic. The anathomy is not exactly correct on the Avatar icon either, he looks too round, portraited in an awkward position and blends in too much with the background. The Howl of Terror looks good enough.

terradont

Creativity: 15/30
Quality: 8/40
Votes: 0

Notes: Obviously lacking quality and creativity factor. The Siphon Mana and Shadow strike lack an object in the center, and are pretty much manipulated with a single colored glow effect that gives the shape. On the Bash icon, both the hammer and the head needs further details, the hammer is not metallish enough and the head underneath looks like a plastic doll of some sort. Far Sight seems to be okay, when considering the eyeball only, but the skin around it totally lacks details, shading and realistic look. Looks more like a wooden frog now.

Mr. Goblin

Creativity: 23/30
Blizzard Feeling: 25/30
Quality: 40/40
Votes: 42

Notes: The quality of these icons is simply amazing. Not Blizzard quality, some of these are even better. The level of creativity is a subject I do not like for example. The Rain of Fire icon and the Inferno icons are pretty much the high-definition remakes of the original Blizzard icons, which decreases the creativity factor. The Thunder clap icon is my favourite, the positioning, the details, shading, creativity. It's just really awesome. The Chain Heal replacement is really damn good too, I like the way you positioned multiple units, had to face quite a challenge and you managed to do it. Altogether, epic job.

UnholyDobry

Creativity: 5/30
Quality: 15/40

Notes: Well, it's really a variative set of icons, quite a shame that none of them are of too outstanding quality. The Holy Light replacement looks really random and undefined, the color schemes, the setting, everything. You should have tried to put an object in the middle at least. The Death Coil replacement is just yet again generic and not well detailed. The green goo around it, which should be a glow effect covers and distorts too big parts. The Vampirism aura looks almost exactly like the Blizzard one, exept that this is of worse quality. The Thorns Aura replacement is the one I like the most, as it's somewhat creative and slightly well detailed. It's quite a shame that it totally lacks shading and overall rather boring.

DevineArmy

Blizzard Feeling: 10/30
Quality: 23/40
Votes: 1

Notes: Not exactly the best quality, but they'd do well as individual icons. The Avatar replacement seems to be creative sufficiently enough, but the large, white glow decreases the icon's overall quality with taking so much space. Though the eye behind would look rather good. The Evade icon would not be so bad either, but quite a shame that the elf on it is in a very very weird stance and his chest looks rather weird (On a sidenote, he seems to be directly hit by that arrow, not evading it >_>). Another flying skull with green glow around it, which is the Death Coil replacement, not the most creative move, and the glow is also taking up too much space. Despite that and the skull's weird looks, I'd still say this is the best Death Coil replacement I've seen so far. The Acid Bomb replacement appears to be of good quality, but the creativity factor is obviously not too high, seeing the difference between this and the original Blizzard creation. It's altogether pretty much an average set.

Revolve

Quality: 10/40

Notes: Most of them are either not creative or lacking in detail. The Hex is quite honestly too random, it took me a minute to figure out what I think it is. The effect is not too well done and the icon is altogether lacking. The Healing wave replacement doesn't hold too much creativity either, the objects are lacking, so you can pretty much see the yellow waves going through the icon. The Banish icon is obviously too simple, you should have at least detailed the guy in the middle. The Storm, Earth and Fire is obviously lacking aswell, seeing that it pretty much looks like the original one, with decreased level of details.

Dentothor

Quality: 5/40

Notes: Rather lacking quality, in all aspects. The Frost armour and the Phoenix replacements are the best, but they're lacking quality too, the Phoenix is too random and the Frost armour blends in too much with the background. The reign of chaos is weird, blurry and totally undefined. The Tornado replacement appears to be a result of filtering. The Siphon mana is random, generic and of lacking quality. Not too creative usage of colors either. The Howl of Terror would be pretty much acceptable if more details were put in the throat and some shading was used.

Calculations
Happycockroach: (6/96) + (68/2) = 34.0625

bigapple90: (11/96) + (30/2) = 15.1145

ike_ike: (15/96) + (88/2) = 44.1562

bananaHUNT: (18/96) + (88/2) = 44.1875

The_Silent: (3/95) + (63/2) = 31.5315

terradont: (0/95) + (28/2) = 14

Mr.Goblin: (42/96) + (88/2) = 44.4375

UnholyDobry: (0/96) + (25/2) = 12.5

DevineArmy: (1/96) + (48/2) = 24.0104

Revolve: (0/96) + (30/2) = 15

Dentothor: (0/96) + (25/2) = 12.5
And the winners are...

1st Place: Mr.Goblin
With the reward of 45 reputation.

2nd Place: bananaHUNT
With the reward of 30 reputation.

3rd Place: ike_ike
With the reward of 15 reputation.

Last edited:
Level 13
Your third third icon :xxd:

Anyway: GRATZ TO EVERYONE WHO JOINED!!

Too bad Mr.Goblin is on vacation and can't see it atm.

WOOT! /cheers!

thanks alot everybody, and i have to say, it was the best competition of the hive, i have participated so far, simply awesome great job Banana_hunt, Ike_Ike, Happy_coackroach and everybody else, i love you all guys, and as you can see, it was really hard for the Judges to vote, so it means, just try abit harder and you can win next time!!!!

/cheers again!

have everybody a nice and wonderfull summer.

see you in 3 days!
(yeah cause every 3 days i borruw my oncle's computer at my cottage to get to internet and read my emails, cause I am working on a new map project if you didn't knew, and i have to send the map and vice-versa with my partners)

yes i have a computer D:, just no internet....

anyway (third try) cya!

Status
Not open for further replies.