• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

People Making Money using your 3D Model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People Making Money using your 3D Model. What do you think?
I found someone took a model (That I was involve a little in, making together with other guy)
And Using it to make "model-unfold-papercraft-thingy"
and selling it in deviant art, somehow I feel that this is a little.... not sure how to say...

I asked him and he reply this
I always state by each model I post (as you can read), that the original model is NOT MINE. I convert, edit and pose them in a certain degree that the unfold becomes mine and is a different file and model. I never stated in any of my post that the models belong to me or that I made them myself. I simply take them and convert them into something other than that. That is legal, I am doing it for a long time and I never gor any complaints except people who don't want to buy them and I accept that.

I never told or said that the model was made by me, so if you know the process of papercrafting you know that I edit and do a lot of work on the models myself, so the UNFOLD alone is mine so I can sell it. Never said that the Saitama model in mine :) I hope it satisfied your curriosity.

Since I don't know anything about copyright, or legal thingy... I was wondering how is it
What do you guys think?
I might not suppose to be pissed, but somehow i feel so.... I don't know... I am super confuse now

Here is the thing if you guys need it to take a look to solve my...... something
http://antyyy.deviantart.com/art/One-punch-man-Saitama-papercraft-unfold-581216423

This is technically not illegal, as you did not specify the terms of use for your model when you uploaded it. Besides, this is not even your intellectual property.

However, since he is charging money for it, there is a high chance that you can get it taken down by DeviantArt if you file a claim. Not because you made the model, but because neither you or he owns the intellectual property of One-Punch-Man, so you are not allowed under any circumstances to make money off it.

Roland

R

Roland

That's fencing, Stealing other people's property and selling it to other people which is inappropriate.

This is technically not illegal, as you did not specify the terms of use for your model when you uploaded it. Besides, this is not even your intellectual property.

However, since he is charging money for it, there is a high chance that you can get it taken down by DeviantArt if you file a claim. Not because you made the model, but because neither you or he owns the intellectual property of One-Punch-Man, so you are not allowed under any circumstances to make money off it.

For example, If I make a digital painting of One Punch Man, am I allowed make money from it? Im still abit confuse in some part. I mean.. uhh dunno how to say.. like... since it's Not my Intellectual Property :V

For example, If I make a digital painting of One Punch Man, am I allowed make money from it?
No, unless you pay royalties to the owner of the intellectual property One Punch Man, you are not allowed to make any money with it, regardless of what type of content it is (drawing, model, papercraft, fanfic, you name it...). The only exception is if the owner specifically allowed such derivative work.
This does not mean that you don't hold the rights to the painting. You are protected by copyright law, but you do not own the IP to One Punch Man, so you can not make any money with it.

Example, Blizzard specifically allows you to distribute SC2 maps as paid content as long as you use the platform designed for that purpose (Blizzard Arcade).

No, unless you pay royalties to the owner of the intellectual property One Punch Man, you are not allowed to make any money with it, regardless of what type of content it is (drawing, model, papercraft, fanfic, you name it...). The only exception is if the owner specifically allowed such derivative work.

Example, Blizzard specifically allows you to distribute SC2 maps as paid content as long as you use the platform designed for that purpose (Blizzard Arcade).

Cool! Good to know, Never knew that, thanks alot

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Depends on the licence of the underlying model. Models lifted from sites such as this generally have such lax licencing that he most likely can do it without any problem. Especially since he is converting the models into paper art in some way so it is not direct resource usage.

However if he used a commercially licenced model, eg from a game, then chances are it is not legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.