• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pending Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was thinking in last few weeks how to clean hive, but it seams that there is no any normal and good solution that will give good results :(

Hive has 903 (now maybe more) pending maps! Even if some guys like me vote for approval or rejection, there is no enough moderators that will check all that. For example I waited only 2 days for Icon or Skin (Skin was rejected :D) to see moderator results!

I just hope that will Ralle find some way to reduce this number, maybe is solution to find more users with good reputation level (what I know. at least above 250 or 500) that will become moderators or something like moderators helpers that will revive only specific map category (1 for Cinematic maps, 1 for Terrain, maybe melee, 2 for TD etc etc)

Well this is my opinion if you have better idea or know some better solution for this, not small, problem please post comment!

Thanks!

Level 22
Well I am a kind of mini moderator now, I can check any review as a maps main review, and the rating will be given to the map, however I can not approve and reject maps.

165490-albums3158-picture28587.jpg

Yeah, at 1st I thought that only us in the Map Reviewers group got this gift, but instead I noticed later, that these got it:

ap0calypse, bounty hunter2, Dark.Revenant, Lag_Reviews, Rui, Septimus, and me.

Though the gift seems to be bugged at this moment, so I hope Ralle will fix it.
Once it's fixed, it will indeed help in the maps section.

Well I write above maybe is solution to find more users with good reputation level...
*Lag_Reviews has very good comments so far
*Septimus was moderator
*ap0calypse, bounty hunter2 and Rui, well they are awesome
*I don't know Dark.Revenant jet :sad:
*And I think that you are great to
So why not, I just hope that will some day I gain such power ^^ to really make some difference and clean THW! For now I will report map just like Fail map, so you guys can remove it!

Level 22
It is true, that it woulden't hurt to get more moderators, but Ralle already explained once to me, that he needs to know me better, before he can entrust me with a job like that.

Maybe he is knowing me better now, as this is the 2nd gift I got from him so far.
But I'm not in a rush, I'll just do my best with my current level.

Also, if you want to get this power yourself, you need to write many helpful reviews, and get liked by the users. (At least that's how I got it, I think)

Level 28
Yeah, at 1st I thought that only us in the Map Reviewers group got this gift, but instead I noticed later, that these got it:
Most of the users which I and Rui have been 'watching' for potential moderators have received that title ^^
And well, ex-moderator Septimus also gained it of course, he's still active in the maps section and helps me out a lot.
(Me and Rui received the Mark Review-function before anyone else, when it was still in progress - to see what was going on behind the scenes).

And -Kobas-; rep does not define power or might, nor does it tell people exactly how helpful you've been on the site.
It's a general guide to see whether you've been active or not, you can get rep in too much ways to be certain about something.
There are users with <50 rep that are a lot better at reviewing than users with >400 rep.

Hm, Ralle's probably getting a lot of messages at the moment, but I want the new system as wel :/
I'll send him a message tomorrow, or later today :p

Level 28
This is the system that Ralle should be making:

When a user uploads a map, it is invisible to everyone but the ones who have map mod powers.
The map moderation will be split in 2 groups:
The first group that just checks if the map breaks the rules yes/no.
If it breaks the rules, then that map will get rejected until it follows the rules (a message will be added to user to let him know what he did wrong).

The second group won't really be moderators, but rather reviewers.
There will be far more reviewers than moderators (checking whether a map breaks the rules or not can be done in 5 sec / map).
These reviewers can review maps at their own pace, reviewing 1 map a day is good enough, as long as you still do something.
These reviews will define the actual quality of the map and will be marked (I don't know how they will be marked, but maps with an official review will stand out more :p).

Level 28
The official review will also have a special score and maps with a high official review will have a higher position in the search-function.

Map moderators can also review maps, but I'm not sure about the other way around (that's Ralle's decision).

This way maps won't be set to pending for a long while and can easily get to the huge pile of maps (the pending queue will then turn into the great mass of maps that do not break the rules xD).
It's better though, since then we can promote quality and users don't have to constantly whine for their map still not being moderated yet (let's hope they don't start whining for a review o_O).

(sorry, character limit is 1000 and my posts contained 2500+ characters, so I had to divide it in 3 parts ^^)

Hey what about maps that was approved long time ago, like those maps in 2006 or below, if I understand Septimus he said that in that time there was no moderator on THW so maps was only checked if they works or whatever!

You saw maps without description etc etc, some are good but some are really really poor -.-

Can we report such maps (for example we test few of them and send 5 or 6 links to each other and if we agree mod can reject/remove or whatever)?

Yet i think it would be time wasting since no one would be going that far in the maps section and i don't think they would actually download that map. It would be better if mods would check the newly submitted maps. If you think this would decrease the space used on the server or that it would increase performance, i don't think it would really change anything.

Level 28
I've checked some of the maps made by [No author] (means they were transferred from wc3s) and I've found some real classics :p
Pudge wars v1.20, TBR 1.33, the original PARASITES and even 2 approved save/load systems (yes, in the maps section!)

I'm going to purge these as well, when I'm done studying for today >.>
There are about 100 of them, so that'll clean up the approved section for quite a bit.

Level 28
Ralle didn't refuse to purge the map section, in fact, he told me this:
Ralle said:
Tell me what to do, not just about the delete button but about everything.
I told him everything: the delete button has to go no matter what and the entire maps section has to be purged (all pending/rejected/deleted maps will be physically deleted) before the new system is released, to have a fresh start.
If anyone else has ideas, now's the time!

"Delete map:" hide it from other users, still exists on the hive, can be downloaded, commented etc (only by those who can see it).
"Physically delete map:" only moderators/admins can do this, the map will be vanished, gone, destroyed, etc.

Level 31
Delete map should be rename to Hide map cause it was misleading.

Infact, delete or hide.. this feature should not exist at all. Infact, if they seriously want to delete it, they should inform it to staff and tell the reason.

we also must work out some rules as well, as currently there is still an god damn loopholes within it.

you obviously don't know what it was mean by physically.
Well I was talking about this one:
"Delete map:" hide it from other users, still exists on the hive, can be downloaded, commented etc (only by those who can see it).
"Physically delete map:" only moderators/admins can do this, the map will be vanished, gone, destroyed, etc.

I am for 2nd opinion but a little edited, if user want to delete map ok, why to keep and save map just destroy it!
Mod or admin can and can't destroy map, for start only delete it (hide from public, just like now)! That will do so we give users another chance! (they can destroy it only if user broke 2 many rules, gain -rep, is banned etc etc)

Well that is only my opinion, I know many users who deleted map and uploaded another version etc without mod knowing, so we have 2 same maps and only one visible in best scenario...

First thing ralle should do, would be adding the additional buttons like "Insert Image", "insert link" or colors so that people make BETTER descriptions.
Second thing, we should put a message in the maps section with the msg "Maps without a good description will be rejected..." or something like that.
And yes, the rules do need to be changed.

Problem with map description is that you need to know BB Code!
I for example changed in my CP Message Editor Interface: to FULL WYSIWYG Editing!
I can copy picture link etc without BB Code!
But when I want to do so in map description, grrrr nothing happen, so I need to lost 1 hour to make description like that on on my Rise of Heroes II instead of just few min!

Status
Not open for further replies.