• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Pathing Issue: Returning Resources over deep water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
giphy.gif

Noticing that worker units ordered to Return Resources will hesitate to cross deep water.

Troubleshooting

• Have tested with Movement Type - Amphibious and Float.
  • Have tested with Art - Model File Peasant and Human Transport Ship.
  • Have tested with both Gold and Lumber harvesting. The problem still manifests.
  • Have tested with Pathing - Collision Size: 0.00.
I suspect this is not something I can fix by manipulating Object Values.

Although the unit eventually finds its way, it's awfully clunky.

Map requirement

• Gold gathering is done by merchant ships reaching distant ports over both deep and shallow water. Securing and harassing sea routes figures to be a major part of game play.
  • Harvesting should be automatic after the initial order is given.

Please advise

1. Any guesses as to why this is happening?
  2. Any possible workarounds to avoid this issue?
Thanks for reading.

Update: Solved, moments later

giphy.gif

Putting the resource in deep water fixes this problem. Units are then able to Return Resources over both deep and shallow water.

Hope this was instructive or, at the very least, amusing for others.

Playing with the Art - Elevation values helps make the resources visible when placed in Deep Water.

Would like to change the thread's tag from 'General' to 'Solved', but not sure how.

Last edited:
Level 39
Curious: will they preferentially take a route that is (slightly) longer but doesn't go over deep water?
  • I don't know why the AI would be different but does it matter what base unit you start from? For example: peasant modified to have water movement vs. ship modified to be a worker.
  • If a computer player controls the units (and its AI is active) do you get the same behavior?
  • If you catch when they first stop moving and immediately order them to move to the location of the resource dropoff, do they commence moving properly or do they do the same hesitating-for-a-pathing-solution thing?
It looks to me like they're moving slightly diagonally to return and then realigning specifically to the midpoint of that wall there; does this behavior persist if the gold mine and resource depot are perfectly vertically aligned? It looks like they are on the minimap but I can't tell for sure.

Level 2
Curious: will they preferentially take a route that is (slightly) longer but doesn't go over deep water?

As a matter of fact..

giphy.gif

• I don't know why the AI would be different but does it matter what base unit you start from? For example: peasant modified to have water movement vs. ship modified to be a worker.
I also thought of that. Used Human Transport Ship as base unit for one, Peasant for another.

• If a computer player controls the units (and its AI is active) do you get the same behavior?
Even stranger behavior. They aren't able to cross deep water at all.

• If you catch when they first stop moving and immediately order them to move to the location of the resource dropoff, do they commence moving properly or do they do the same hesitating-for-a-pathing-solution thing?
When ordered by the player they commence moving properly -- straight over deep water. But when it gathers resource again, problem resurfaces on the return trip.

It looks to me like they're moving slightly diagonally to return and then realigning specifically to the midpoint of that wall there; does this behavior persist if the gold mine and resource depot are perfectly vertically aligned? It looks like they are on the minimap but I can't tell for sure.

Not sure how to test that with enough precision.

Status
Not open for further replies.