• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pathing Circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
I have been making my campaign for almost a year now. I have already released over 15 alpha tests from it. However, I have a new problem that I cannot solve myself. That is why I need your help.

I have a boss in chapter 1. But the problem is, player can run out of the boss fight. This is a problem, because things may go bugful(boss follows you while you go to a vilage, etc). I want you to create a "pathing circle", then player and the boss can't go out of this circle. So:
  • I want you to make with triggers a circle of dummy units.
  • Dummy units have specific collision so they block units from getting out of this circle.
  • The area where where this circle will be placed is not just an empty area. So this have to be working with an area full of doods. Example, there's a house and some trees in the place where the fight is held.
  • The dummy unit should be easy to change their models(how they look like).
  • The system should be also easy remove-able. Which means, when I want this circle to be removed, I can do it easily(so you have to use variables!).
  • Hero's and the boss' collision is currently 32.
  • Trigger itself should be easy copy-able.
  • I may use this system in other places in the campaign.
  • I want you to create a map, where you, and I can test it.

If you can do this, I will give you some REP in here, and credits at the campaign. I really hope you can do this and I'm waiting for you answer soon. Please ask anything, if you need to. Also, it would be good, to say that you are doing, so you don't waste other people's time. And, my email is [email protected]. I'm always open for every kind of person, so add me, if you want.

Level 21
You can do it far more easy as this, just create a region around the region of the boss, create a trigger which is deactivated from start, this one detects if a unit leaves the area, if it tries to move it to the center of the area or move it slightly backwards, so it can keep running against a wall, and it reduces lag if it is efficient triggered.

If the boss fight starts move all players to a certain area in the circle and just turn on the leave trigger, if the boss ends or all die turn off the the leave trigger, thats easy.

If you want I can make a testmap.

Level 37
redscores said:
You can do it far more easy as this, just create a region around the region of the boss, create a trigger which is deactivated from start, this one detects if a unit leaves the area, if it tries to move it to the center of the area or move it slightly backwards, so it can keep running against a wall, and it reduces lag if it is efficient triggered.
This is possible also. But this is a cheaper way that I don't like. Like I said in the first boss, I may need this trigger also in other places. I was also thinking about a spell where you are surrounded by the pathing circle.

redscores said:
If you want I can make a testmap.
Well, if you are going to do what I wanted. I can easily do what you just said, but it's once again, a cheaper way. :p

Well, thanks for the comment.

Level 37
Well, actually, nope. Because, I once saw Kitabatake's triggered made spell that is just like this. He even made a model for the spell that is here and here.

However, he said he have lost the map where was the triggered made spell. When I saw that spell I was like "wow", one of the best spells evah! And that's why I want something like that also.

Level 21
Ehm, are you serious? It is a spell... not a system.... if you want it as a system use my version, because it CAN bug, and your arguments are a shoot in the own head, because spell !! system, it is a cosmetic usage for spells... and not good for a system. And if you dont trust us, do it by YOURSELF, and I am as the same level at kitabake, if not higher... it is very easy to do such a circle, but if you want no bugs then take my suggestion or leave it... with no solution done.

I can of course do a circle shaped area system with custom effects, but not with dummies!

Level 37
redscores said:
It is a spell... not a system...
Hups! Well, it's same to me... system or a spell!

redscores said:
And if you dont trust us, do it by YOURSELF
Hmm? Why should I not trust you? I would done the sytem or a spell(or whatever it is!), by myself if I could. But it's too hard for me to make. That's why I need your help guys! :(

redscores said:
and I am as the same level at kitabake, if not higher...
What level and in what, ehh? :D

redscores said:
it is very easy to do such a circle, but if you want no bugs then take my suggestion or leave it... with no solution done.
Aah... Finally something interesting! So, if you could do it, it will bug or something?

redscores said:
I can of course do a circle shaped area system with custom effects, but not with dummies!
Well... It's same to me as long as the
  • Units can't go out of it.
  • I can change the effect of the ring.
  • I can remove the "system" whenever I want.

Well, thanks for your effort to this point. Here is some reputation already. I hope it satisfies you somehow!

Level 21
Its completed, it turned out really good and flexible, you can have up to 20 or 25 DIFFERENT CIRCLES! (means different sfx and such), and you can even turn it off, turn it on and if you want to edit a circle while playing turn him before off (do it simply!^^).

And btw, you can get in the circle, but you cannot get out ;).

Every circle uses 120 SFX's means you can have UP TO 60 (60x120 = 7200) it will be very very laggy with so many circles, i would say 10 - 20 are okay if you deactivate them correctly with the boolean after use.

Attachments

• Circle System.w3x
    19.7 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.