• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Passive spell based on evasion... need some guide lines/help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi People,

Ok, I've been trying to create a Passive ability based on evasion, here is what I wanted it to do.

Description:
With a given amount of chance per level, when struck (being attacked), create a mirror image of it self.

Abilities section:
1)
Unit ability for mirror image with 3 levels.
Mirror ability only creates 1 unit, just the damage taken and damage dealt gets improved in each level.

2)
Hero ability with 3 levels, based on evasion.
[The chance to evade is the chance to cast a mirror]

Units Section:
Dummy caster with locus ability with no model.
[Do I need a dummy caster for this?]

Triggers:
Event - An Unit Starts The Effect of An Ability
Conditions - Ability Being Cast Equal to (My Ability)
Actions -
[Ok got a bit stuck here]

I'm not too sure about the triggers, but seems like the event and conditions don't sound right for a passive spell... I had a look on previous posts on passive spells... very different.

Could I get some guide lines and help from all?

Cheers.

PS:
I've also tried getting the dummy to have the item illusion to create the mirror, giving the dummy a hero inventory, but I got stuck when I reached the action on creating the item and casting the item.

Just another thing, sounds like a request.
Ok:
When should the event be based on 'a unit cast a spell', 'a unit being attacked', 'a unit attacks', etc.
It seems to depend on a lot of circumstances... I mean how can a noob like myself know when to apply which and what... I know trial and error is the best to learn, but what happens if they are on the wrong track at the start?
Should we be looking at what type of spell it is wether it is targetable, AOE Targetable, AOE, non-targetable, etc and slowly work our way on the effects and try to see where they fit in the triggers?

Level 6
LOL.

Funny, but I've been working on a mirror-image-when-attacked as well.

What I suggest here is not to base the skill of evasion, instead, just make it a dummy skill {for example a elune's blessing with full values on all}, and then set a trigger.

Events
-A unit is attacked
Conditions
- Unit is MirrorImageUnit
Actions
- Set MirrorImageEvade to randominteger between {range here}
- If MirrorImageEvade is less than or equal to {number}, issue an order with no target for it to orc blademaster - mirror image {i suggest making it invul for 0.1 second before this too, you do this under if with multiple conditions and actions}

Level 11
To make sure that your hero is not damaged, I suggest you give it Evasion just when its attacked. Make the evasion icon unavailable by Removing it from all players. Set evasion's chance to 100%. Then order it to cast Mirror Image (add it as well), wait 0.10 seconds and remove both the Mirror Image and the evasion. That should do it (hopefully)!

~Daelin

Level 2
Ok,

I had a go at it the results were... well... hahaha
I just set that so the condition for the radon value between 1 - 100 and always <= 100. So I know it will work for sure (just for testing).
Anyways the actions were so:
Give the unit the mirror ability.
Order the unit to cast - Blade master mirror.
Take the ability away.

Now if the actions were so, the mirror would never get cast.
So I put a WAIT for about 5 seconds after the spell cast.
Ok I got the mirror.
Now the situation is funny...
Every time the hero gets hit, he will shake and do the mirror animation and pops a mirror out.
Now when he casts it again, the current mirror dissapears. Well fair enough, I understand that the blade masters mirror can be cast once at a time.

Now this is the other problem:
After the wait I must take the ability away.
So when I do that, the mirror goes away too.
Now if the timing is right when I get attacked and the ability is starting to take effect (doing the mirror animation) and the ability form the previous run is being taken away, the hero will dissapear... wow... I was like... umm... ok...

Anyways new approach was to give a dummy caster the item of illusion and cast it on the triggering unit.
Well I managed to do that, which is pretty ok, and I also set a condition where if the triggering unit is not an illusion then do actions. This is because the mirrors/illusions get the passive ability. I don't know why.

Anyways, I want to set a limit to the number of illusions in the current game for that triggering unit.
Is there some condition to check the amount of mirrors that is of the triggering unit and if its <= X (amount of illusions for that unit to be in at any given time), then do actions.

Or is there a better approach?

Thanks.

Level 11
Waiting 1.00 seconds is more than enough (I hope...). That's the time in which the ability is cast. And now, yes, the mirror image doesn't stack. And as for having the ability go away, do you want it only for ONE hero? Cuz if you do, you can solve the problem by Removing the Ability (Player - Remove Ability). But I'm not sure if you can readd it. If you can, do so next time the unit casts it so it can already cast it. ;)

~Daelin

Status
Not open for further replies.