• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Passive PBAoE stun with cooldown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
[Solved]

My Idea was to use lightning orb with warstomp to make a passive somewhat like "Pulverize" (tauren passive AoE) that stuns and have a cooldown.

So it would have 100% proc chance but cooldown, because I dislike RNG, the thing is that it appears that the proc ability have to be one with a target,
atleast that's what im guessing because Warstomp didn't work for some reason.

Giving warstomp cast range didn't work either, i knew it wouldn't do anything to the actual ability but i thought it might need casting range for the target or something.

One of the best parts would have been that it would have been 0 triggers involved the way I thought it.

Edit: It's supposed to work like a PBAoE - Player Based Area of Effect (no target), I already thought of using cluster rockets but then It wouldn't be around yourself but around the unit you attack which is not what I had in mind.

Edit2: Apparently target ground aoe didn't work at all, so I suppose it really need to have the option to target a specific unit. And now Im thinking that maybe it count as casting/starting the effect of the ability and I could use that as a trigger event and have a dummy cast the actual skill?

Update on it's current state:

• Maghar Ferocity
    • Events
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
      • (DamageEventTarget has buff Mag'har Ferocity ) Equal to True
      • DamageEventOverride Equal to False
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove Mag'har Ferocity buff from DamageEventTarget
      • Set Ability_MagharFerocity_Point = (Position of DamageEventSource)
      • Set Ability_MagharFerocity_Int_lvl = (Level of Mag'har Ferocity for DamageEventSource)
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of DamageEventSource) at Ability_MagharFerocity_Point facing Default building facing degrees
      • Set Ability_MagharFerocity_Unit_Du = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Turn collision for Ability_MagharFerocity_Unit_Du Off
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to Ability_MagharFerocity_Unit_Du
      • Unit - Add Mag'har Feroicity (Dummy Spell) to Ability_MagharFerocity_Unit_Du
      • Unit - Set level of Mag'har Feroicity (Dummy Spell) for Ability_MagharFerocity_Unit_Du to Ability_MagharFerocity_Int_lvl
      • Unit - Order Ability_MagharFerocity_Unit_Du to Orc Tauren Chieftain - War Stomp
      • Unit - Remove Attack Slam from DamageEventSource
To make it so that the actual proc was the attack that made the AoE instead of them being two seperate attacks I thought I could do something like this:
  • Untitled Trigger 002
  • Events
  • Unit - A unit Is attacked
  • Conditions
  • (Level of Mag'har Ferocity for (Attacking unit)) Greater than 0
  • Actions
  • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Stop
  • Unit - Add Attack Slam to (Attacking unit)
  • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Attack (Attacked unit)
  • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
  • Wait (9.49 - (0.50 x (Real((Level of Mag'har Ferocity for (Attacking unit)))))) seconds
  • Trigger - Turn on (This trigger)
But for some reason the first attack deals damage without playing an animation and then the next attack get the desired effect.

Things to note: "attack slam" is a bash with 100% proc chance that doesn't do anything besides change the animation and the OoL CD starts at 9 and is shortened with 0.5 sec/level.

Last edited:
Level 21
If it can't be done directly, then let's mess around.
Make the orb place a buff, any buff.
Then whenever your unit deals damage you check if the target has this buff. If yes, then create an invisible dummy around your unit and make it cast war stomp.
It's a workaround, but it should work if you just figure out a buff-placing ability to use.

Level 12
If it can't be done directly, then let's mess around.
Make the orb place a buff, any buff.
Then whenever your unit deals damage you check if the target has this buff. If yes, then create an invisible dummy around your unit and make it cast war stomp.
It's a workaround, but it should work if you just figure out a buff-placing ability to use.

How would that work though? If there are several units you could just place buff on all of them and ignore the "cooldown" besides that (and that there are no visible cooldown) it's a great idea

Edit: I could use lighting orb with an aoe target spell that place a buff, acid I.E, but the problem would be that it's magical.

Level 12
To add on, I'd suggest using Unholy Frenzy as the alternate ability for the Lightning Orb. The cast effect is immediate and it triggers the damage detection event.

I think I will just use Orb of Corruption, less work :p they are both orb effects either way so unless i can find a buff placeing passive without orb effect that's what im going with

Edit: actually couldn't i just use bash withh 100% proc and somehow make it not change the attack animation?

Level 5
> ...couldn't i just use bash
The reason was because you wanted a passive with cooldown, no?
Lightning Orb only works with target acquire abilities.

> Orb of Corruption
Haven't used this before though.
I believe this doesn't trigger the damage detection event. The on-hit and buff detection may not be synchronised. I'm not too sure about this though. Perhaps you could try it out. Unholy Frenzy will have synced on-hit and on-buff detection.

Level 12
> ...couldn't i just use bash
The reason was because you wanted a passive with cooldown, no?
Lightning Orb only works with target acquire abilities.

> Orb of Corruption
Haven't used this before though.
I believe this doesn't trigger the damage detection event. The on-hit and buff detection may not be synchronised. I'm not too sure about this though. Perhaps you could try it out. Unholy Frenzy will have synced on-hit and on-buff detection.

If i want it to be able to trigger against magic immune i would need to have a physical or universial buff and I can't i just use DDS?

Edit: Does it matter if the proc ability have a level requirement? I mean i could make any spell "ultimate" and then it should work even if they are magic immune

Edit2: Would spell shield block this proc by the way? Im guessing it does since it appears to count as an acutal cast without cast event

Edit3: I forgot to mention that I originally inteded for the proc to use a special animation, like Crit and Bash does instead of having it trigger after the attack it would have been the attack.

Edit4: For some reason it doesn't proc unless the unit had a direct order to attack, either by targeting a unit or with attack move.

Last edited:

yip

yip

Level 3
If i want it to be able to trigger against magic immune i would need to have a physical or universial buff and I can't i just use DDS?

Edit: Does it matter if the proc ability have a level requirement? I mean i could make any spell "ultimate" and then it should work even if they are magic immune

Edit2: Would spell shield block this proc by the way? Im guessing it does since it appears to count as an acutal cast without cast event

Edit3: I forgot to mention that I originally inteded for the proc to use a special animation, like Crit and Bash does instead of having it trigger after the attack it would have been the attack.

Edit4: For some reason it doesn't proc unless the unit had a direct order to attack, either by targeting a unit or with attack move.

1 Why can you not use DDS? In any case, I think checking for buff is easier, if it is instant as the other post said.

2 Nope. Doesn't.

3 I doubt spell shield would block Unholy Frenzy, but you could always test it.

4 Use 'Animation - Play Unit slam animation' (or is it slam? I don't remember, you can check it on the spell's unit animations names)

5 No idea. Are you using a DDS or 'Unit Is Attacked'? Even then, an attack should always register as an attack, regardless if it was AI ordered or not... at least afaik. Maybe someone else can answer.

Level 5
> For some reason it doesn't proc
Check out the link below to solve this issue. See Tip 3.

http://www.thehelper.net/threads/abusing-the-orb-of-lightning-new.126208/

Code:
Stomp
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is attacked
    Conditions
        (Level of Orb of Lightning (new)  for (Attacking unit)) Greater than 0
        ((Triggering unit) is in SomeUnitGroup) Equal to False
    Actions
        Unit Group - Add (Triggering unit) to SomeUnitGroup
        Trigger - Add to Damage Detection <gen> the event (Unit - (Triggering unit) Takes damage)

Code:
Damage Detection
    Events
    Conditions
        ((Triggering unit) has buff unholy buff ) Equal to True
    Actions
        Unit - Remove unholy buff  buff from (Triggering unit)
        Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Damage source)) at (Position of (Damage source)) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Add War Stomp  to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Hide (Last created unit)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - War Stomp
        Unit - Add a 10.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

> ...can't i just use DDS?
Sure thing. I'm not experienced in this though.

Level 12
4 Use 'Animation - Play Unit slam animation' (or is it slam? I don't remember, you can check it on the spell's unit animations names)

I am aware of this, but im thinking about how I would make the attack that Proc look like the AoE skill instead of them being 2 seperate attacks.

As it looks now, I'm using weep's GDD for Damage Detection.

• Maghar Ferocity
    • Events
      • Game - GDD_Event becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
      • (GDD_DamagedUnit has buff Mag'har Ferocity ) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove Mag'har Ferocity buff from GDD_DamagedUnit
      • Set Ability_MagharFerocity_Point = (Position of GDD_DamageSource)
      • Set Ability_MagharFerocity_Int_lvl = (Level of Mag'har Ferocity for GDD_DamageSource)
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of GDD_DamageSource) at Ability_MagharFerocity_Point facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Turn collision for (Last created unit) Off
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Mag'har Feroicity (Dummy Spell) to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Mag'har Feroicity (Dummy Spell) for (Last created unit) to Ability_MagharFerocity_Int_lvl
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - War Stomp
I'm thinking that maybe I could use timers and with a separate trigger register event unit is attacked -> give attacking unit 100% chance bash/crit that doesn't do anything and then remove it when the attack damage is dealt.

Use LFH's DDS... any other GUI DDS out there doesn't work as good as it does...

You can probably even avoid using orb + buff... since you can just check if the Unit that dealt damage has the ability then use random number and compare results to the %chance to activate the stomp

Make the dummy caster have locust, movement type of none... you won't even need to set it's collision to off...

also better put Last Created unit into a variable...

Level 12
Use LFH's DDS... any other GUI DDS out there doesn't work as good as it does...

Make the dummy caster have locust, movement type of none... you won't even need to set it's collision to off...

also better put Last Created unit into a variable...

I might look into that other DDS since I won't need to change that many things this early on.

This isn't really helping me get the hero to use Slam animation on the Proc though, if you can think of a way to do that then please do share.

Level 12
To make it so that the actual proc was the attack that made the AoE instead of them being two seperate attacks I thought I could do something like this:
  • Untitled Trigger 002
  • Events
  • Unit - A unit Is attacked
  • Conditions
  • (Level of Mag'har Ferocity for (Attacking unit)) Greater than 0
  • Actions
  • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Stop
  • Unit - Add Attack Slam to (Attacking unit)
  • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Attack (Attacked unit)
  • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
  • Wait (9.49 - (0.50 x (Real((Level of Mag'har Ferocity for (Attacking unit)))))) seconds
  • Trigger - Turn on (This trigger)
But for some reason the first attack deals damage without playing an animation and then the next attack get the desired effect.

Things to note: "attack slam" is a bash with 100% proc chance that doesn't do anything besides change the animation.

yip

yip

Level 3
That's quite the roundabout way of doing it, and that will not only be unnacurate, but will probably not work like you expect, as you said it didn't. Do you want the war stomp to occur after a normal attack that deals damage?

By the way, you give the unit the ability, and never remove it? So it'll have 'Attack Slam' forever after attacking for the first time?

You could force the unit to play the animation like Adikutz suggested, or just add the 'slam' animation name to the orb of lightning's effect ability. Wouldn't that work?

Level 12
That's quite the roundabout way of doing it, and that will not only be unnacurate, but will probably not work like you expect, as you said it didn't. Do you want the war stomp to occur after a normal attack that deals damage?

By the way, you give the unit the ability, and never remove it? So it'll have 'Attack Slam' forever after attacking for the first time?

You could force the unit to play the animation like Adikutz suggested, or just add the 'slam' animation name to the orb of lightning's effect ability. Wouldn't that work?

I updated the OP so that people seeing this the first time wouldn't have to read through everything.

1. It's enough for a start, besides that it didn't work that is. It's not that it isn't working like it should. It's just that it's weird because the first attack that should be interupted with the "issue order stop" still deals damage without an animation.

2. The stomp should occur at the same time as the attack deals damage, if you take a look at this model's attack slam animation it might help you understand: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/rampager-202181/?prev=search=maghar&d=list&r=20

3. I added the removal to after the damage is dealt, so they are in sperate triggers. This is how it should work, a target is aquired, attack slam is added, attack is canceled, issue order attack target (To update the animation and bypass the OoL no proc if there is no attack order), damage is dealt and attack slam is removed.

4. Since the actual attack will be the attack slam and not come secondary I ignored Adikutz suggestion because it would not get the desired outcome.

5. OoL procs does not change the animation, in fact the ability that procs already have another animation name because I knew it doesn't matter i never cared to change it. And if it would have been that simple I wouldn't be on the Hive asking about it.

Last edited:

yip

yip

Level 3
I never said it was simple! I'm trying to figure a way out on the same level as you! Two heads do think better than one, right? I'm just saying ideas.

I didn't know orb of lightning abilities didn't register the animation names though. That's a shame.

It'll probably hard (as you said so yourself) to make the normal attack have the slam animation for one attack... But It 'worked', right? Your modified bash did show the special animation, just not with the timing you wanted it to.

How about if you give it the 'cosmetic bash' ability when the unit learns 'Mag'har Ferocity', and take it away after it deals damage to a certain unit that matches the conditions that would trigger your stomp? After a wait, It'd add the ability again.

EDIT: The problem is solved (after taking a look at the map) with exactly what I told you to do in the previous post. I made my own triggers to do what you wanted to, and it worked. You may be using the DDS wrongly, by the way, but that was just an impression.

1 - Give the hero the Slam animation ability as soon as he learns Mag'Har Ferocity.
2 - Take it away after it deals damage. I used the 'Unit Is attacked' event since I didn't wanna meddle with the DDS, but if you remove it *right* after the attack, it's gonna bug and the hero'll do the slam animation for all his attacks. FOREVURHHHHHHHH
So it'll probably work fine with damage detection, but if you're not using it (which I don't recommend), just throw in a small wait, and REMOVE the slam ability.
3 - Wait again (until the OoL ability recharges), and give attack slam to the unit (which will be stored in a variable, I presume).

Hope I've helped!

EDIT2: Done. Is double posting that bad? :<

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.