• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paladin

After finishing death knight model I uploaded days ago I felt like making a paladin model too. :p
Previews
Contents

Paladin (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
A well crafted custom model with great animations and attention to detail. Good job.
Level 21
I will give my honest opinion:
the majority of your models look visually great, pleasing even.
But they do not fully look like Warcraft 3 characters, in game they don't feel like they fully belong in Warcraft 3.

Sorry but I had to say it, but I love your work, I've definitely used some of your models in my maps.

It feels like you're taking your moddeling skills to the next level but Warcraft 3 is 20 years old, which makes this thing look "odd" to me.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Another well-made model, man.

I will give my honest opinion:
the majority of your models look visually great, pleasing even.
But they do not fully look like Warcraft 3 characters, in game they don't feel like they fully belong in Warcraft 3.

Sorry but I had to say it, but I love your work, I've definitely used some of your models in my maps.

It feels like you're taking your moddeling skills to the next level but Warcraft 3 is 20 years old, which makes this thing look "odd" to me.
Yeah I wish I didn't agree with this as much as I did, but I do. Especially compared to the OG Paladin.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Stefan.K has his own style and that's great. Innovate, don't imitate. He's done a wonderful thing making so many models for us that we can use.
You'll never be 100% satisfied with community models fitting with the original game's unless they are just edits of those and not made from scratch. I for one, appreciate originality and creativity.

Level 50
they fit with the default models in-game for me. your master medivh is still by far my most favorite one among all your gallery of models.
Hm, I also made that one from scratch. I guess that model is likely to fit better in game because of the "bulky" cape it has? I mean, the proportions on that model were very tiny compared to the other models, but the cape is covering the body so it's not so visible.

Level 34
Stefan.K has his own style and that's great. Innovate, don't imitate. He's done a wonderful thing making so many models for us that we can use.
You'll never be 100% satisfied with community models fitting with the original game's unless they are just edits of those and not made from scratch. I for one, appreciate originality and creativity.
100% agree with this, they are pretty unique and to be honest, they blend great with any other model, i use a lot of them for my own edited maps <3

Also, wtf with the bird / d1ck comparison XD

Em!

Em!

Level 24
100% agree with this, they are pretty unique and to be honest, they blend great with any other model, i use a lot of them for my own edited maps <3

Also, wtf with the bird / d1ck comparison XD
Honestly if no one else sees it then it´s not a problem at all but it was the first thing I saw when I was checking the model out. I find it hard not to see it ingame. If you see it now, good luck unseeing it.

Attachments

• dikb.jpg
    dikb.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 49

Em!

Em!

Level 24
I saw it the first time but if that's all you can imagine or think of, I'm sorry.
Apology accepted. I do feel like I need to apologies as well as I said the model looks great but you can only focus on the other part, for that i am sorry. Now let´s move on shall we, sorries all around and all.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I think it's important to recognize that both
A) people should feel free to express their opinion, and
B) the modeler is under absolutely no obligation to do anything about (non-moderator) opinions. : )

Also that
C) "fitting to other in-game models", I have found, is (unfortunately) incredibly & surprisingly subjective. Aside from polygon counts there isn't much of an objective, hard-and-fast litmus test or clear-determiner for "aesthetically matches OG Wc3", much as I'd like to believe there is.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen model uploads with both "fits so well in-game!" and "this doesn't fit well in-game" comments. xD

I think there's plenty of room in this world of Wc3 modding for people to make what they are inspired to make. I'll keep on encouraging people to make stuff that appeals to my sensibilities, with the clear knowledge that no one is under any obligation to take my advice. And that's OK. : )

I disagree with that. There have been plenty of modelers who've made very fitting resources without simply making minor edits
(though without a strict definition of 'editing' I don't know how we can really talk about that, are we talking any non-scratch geometry?)
. Deolrin has done this, as well as Direfury, AndrewOverload, WhiteDeath, HerrDave....

Level 17
Yeah, just like @deepstrasz mentioned here. I figured people are more satisfied with the edits of original models, but I'm not having fun making those. I love making models from scratch and I always try to make them fit in game even if they do stand out a bit.

For the record i really liked that Varian you did with Reforged animations, and in general, some warp of classic animations or reuse of them is really nice. so its not really about what you do with the models themselves, most people respect that, but even if you dont like using OG animations maybe work on having more smooth animations that are your own doing :grin:

What I nice conversation we have there, couldn't just pass by.

To my personal assessment, Stefan.K's works represent a nice hybrid of WoW and WC3 models in terms of mesh without detracting from their quality. He has his own style that is accompanied by his personal feeling of details. Making models from scratch (a very difficult task that many modelers cannot master) is his hobby which brings him pleasure, and I respect that.

I usually divide models into two groups: "following the classic game style of Warcraft, fitting" and "standing out of the classic style of Warcraft on purpose or due to a lack of skill and/or attention to details". For instance, HerrDave is a talented modeler who created a good-looking universe of LoTR models that don't have to merge into the lore-fiendly graphic surroundings of Warcraft, and they are of high quality. But he also has a few models that fit well in-game, such as his Scarlet Monastery, which consists of in-game textures, mesh, custom but lore-wise geometry and appropriate animations. Thus, he has enough skill and watchfulness that allow him to sit on two chairs.

For some mapmakers it is of high importance to have only lore-wise models that visually fit in, meaning that such models should have a great balance between lore-friendly details and animations. At this point, in order to expand the variety of classic content, modelers need to follow the art style of Blizzard and get there as close as possible. Such modelers, at will or not, sit on the other side of the table and try crack the visual code.

The rest mapmakers are not that picky about details, or prioritize content over quality, or don't match design elements well. The latter feel great even calling a high-poly orc model from Warhammer maps a next tier of a classic Grunt, and this is a problem of taste.

As Kyrby0 mentioned above, there "isn't much of an objective hard-and-fast litmus test or clear-determiner for "aesthetically matches OG Wc3". And, however, WC3 has its unique art style - a specific visual code created by Blizzard modelers and animatiors. Without a doubt, it is a material thing: you can see it, you can feel it and you can shape it, you can almost measure it because the content (like textures) is limited. But what is it?

For me, it is a combination of graphic design elements with a set of tecnical details and regulations. For instance, 99% heroic units have a weapon glow, while 99% non-heroic units don't have any glow. If you look at Stefan.K's and Rhapsodie's models, you may see that their hero-type creations don't have any weapon glow. Whether it is done on purpose or not, this makes their models stand out.
Here's another example: 90% hero-type units have "Dissipate" animations and sounds; or all spell effects have their own color schemes depending on race and magic elements, which Vinz successfully uses to add some flavor, lore-wise. If you keep digging, you will find out that there's a tiny set of textures used almost in all doodads you've ever met in Warcraft. Here you can remember bakr, whose splendid works contain well-made lore-friendly re-wrapping and animations with appropriate steps of construction. And so on and so forth.
I tried to explain it briefly and superficially, but it's really a huge piece of information where modelers walk with a flashlight. If you know this part, you will be able to better identify the moments that stand out.

So, if you have a lot of visual experience, excellent technical skills, and are persistent enough, you can learn the Warcraft 3 visual code and use it as you want. In combination with your talent you can even repeat the success of professional artists and animators.

Thus, whether you "imitate" or "innovate", like deepstrasz said, it's always hard work: you need to put a lot of effort in both ways to create something really worthy.

Therefore, I believe that each modeler has his own position, his own mission, which he pursues when creating models. This is a parameter by which his work can be evaluated. For instance, I try to create lore-looking models in terms of graphics and animations; my task is to create such models that it is difficult to make out whether this model was in the game or not; my mission is to bring variety into the classic aesthetics of Warcraft 3 in terms of visual content while maintaining the required quality standards. So, after knowing this, it gets easier for you to rate my works: here your assessment gets more objective and your criticism becomes more balanced.

However, some of my models are commissioned, or abandoned due to a lack of interest, or made for my own map. Here I usually say about it and don't really protect my stuff or explain what's what, and this is another story. Wait, I don't really have that many works 😶‍🌫️

Of course, Stefan.K makes models for his own enjoyment and he adores the universe of Warcraft. His desire to create beautiful and unique mesh deserves a lot of attention. I also think he loves the creative process a lot and doesn't care much if people criticize his work, - he doesn't pay much attention to his bundle descriptions, previews, explanations and stuff, and just is kind enough to share his nice works with the community.

I think there's plenty of room in this world of Wc3 modding for people to make what they are inspired to make. I'll keep on encouraging people to make stuff that appeals to my sensibilities, with the clear knowledge that no one is under any obligation to take my advice. And that's OK.
Your sensibilities are sharp as well as the eyes, sir.

P.S. I'm sorry for this wall, guys 🥸

Last edited:
Level 18
I don't really know a 100% lore-solid explanation but paladins always use hammers in Warcraft.

"Empowered by the Light, these mighty warriors brandish both warhammer and holy fire in battle against all who would trample the meek and innocent" (Warcraft III - Humans -> Units -> Paladin).

Paladins are "Knights of the Silver Hand," which the silver hand is a reference to a titan known as Tyr, who also wielded a hammer. So maybe they simply want to emulate him (Tyr).

It might be a reference to judges using gavels to cast judgments IRL. The only time we see a paladin use a sword is when Arthas uses Frostmourne and leading to him becoming a Death Knight. In that perspective swords are the antithesis of a paladin.

There are some other theories here such as they are simply more effective against plate armor than swords:
Also this video could give some context on Tyr but bordering on off topic:

Last edited: