1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Outline Earth Template (480x288)

Submitted by Emperor_Jackal
This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.
-----------------------------
Generated from http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/BlankMap-World-large-noborders.png/800px-BlankMap-World-large-noborders.png using DarkLord's Terrain 1.0.

I have done nothing more than create the heightmap from the image. It is a largely featureless map, with little variation of tile heights, no variation of tiles or distribution of doodads. The use of this terrain is for the outline. Because of the relatively small dimensions (I wanted this to be fully functional on the normal world editor), the tiles merge a bit together (for example Spain has a land border with Morocco, as does Yemen and Djibouti). Some things are also a bit small, particularly in Europe, but it is all proportional. It may look a bit weird in the minimap image on this upload but that is because of the typical blurry rendering done to generate minimaps.

If you don't like a part of this world map, feel free to edit it if you plan to use it as a template. I don't care particularly for any credit either, because quite frankly more credit is deserved for DarkLord's tool, a sorely underused tool by the mapping community. Feel free to use this template however you wish.
-----------------------------

This is the 480x288 version. It still suffers from negative traits described above, albeit in a lesser form because of its increased size.

[​IMG]

For the smaller 256x160 version, go to http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/blank-outline-earth-world-template-189651/

Keywords:
World, Template, Terrain, Earth, Outline
Contents

Outline Earth Template (480x288) (Map)

Reviews
15:57, 15th Feb 2011 -Kobas-: Map Status: Rejected Broken Rules: Multi upload Comment
  1. 15:57, 15th Feb 2011
    -Kobas-:
    Map Status: Rejected
    Broken Rules:
    Multi upload
    Comment

2. DarkArchMage

DarkArchMage

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, interesting map =)

3. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This map has exactly the same problems as the old one. You have to increase the resolution of the heightmap texture aswell, or else you're stuck with theese continents awkwardly blurring into eachother. I can see some other obvious lacks in general shapes that suggests you have been sloppy outlining the continents. I also think you should add some rivers to this one since you do have the space (the volga, yangtze, donau, nile, amazonas, and that big river in america at least).
    Also, seeing how you'd need the JNGP to open this one anyways, i suggest you take the time to change tiles and add grass/snow/desert as i suggested. It's not like anyone is going to have a plain tan map anyways.

4. Emperor_Jackal

Emperor_Jackal

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As I've said, I haven't done anything other than convert the blankmap from wikipedia. If that's 'sloppy outlining' then I'm sure you can query the wikipedians that made the image about that. The heightmap I used is actually a higher quality because I used bigger TGA file. It can't exactly get any higher quality because the TGA can only be size 481x289 as the program I used defines.

I can't really say it suffers from exactly the same problems. Although Morocco still touches Spain and such, Britain and Italy are certainly a lot bigger and somewhat more playable in.

If a map can be made to be 1024x1024 then *maybe* you'll be content.

5. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The reason i'm saying is because i've done a very similar thing though managing to get a much better result as far as detailed is concerned. You could do theese things by hand if they're not calculated properly. I'm especially talking about the arabian penisula. and the mediterranean.

Also, you haven't responded to my suggestions of adding tile variation or rivers. In it's current state, this map could be created with anyone using that program. You should put some more effort in it to have it approved.

6. XPQJ

XPQJ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree with Fingolfin, just using the program is interesting but in order for the map to be a decent template there needs to be more added to it, or larger scaled outlining that makes it stand out from other maps of a similar nature. So my suggestion is to do some actual terraining inside the borders of the map, or at least add in some borders to adjacent territories. Hopefully this can become a project that you put effort into and on-going receives updates, please take this as positive reinforcement and not as an insult to your map, but a template needs to be more then just a outline of territories.

7. jxtranghero

jxtranghero

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can't see my place here?

8. light bolt30

light bolt30

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You could also post screenshots showcasing the terrain.

9. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok, i take back what i said about the resolution, it appears that it is the minimap preview that looked blurry and undefined, not the map itself. The detail level is gorgeous and i hope this opens up peoples eyes for this wonderful program.

Still, this being a template, i think what REALLY could save people time would be to mark out where there is desert, glacier or vegetation - but also to use a special tile to represent the borders between nations! Then you would have a complete geographical template that could be useful to everyone, in any situation.

10. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Also don't multi upload, this is warning, take care.

11. XPQJ

XPQJ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the maps have different dimensions making them templates for different purposes.

12. Super-Sheep

Super-Sheep

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah ban Emperor_Jackal omg noob multiuploader noob...

No but seriously I think that -Kobas- shouldnt have rejected maps because many nubs found them useful.

13. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Different a little :sad:
    Anyway map quality is really poor therefore it's rejected!

14. Emperor_Jackal

Emperor_Jackal

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you say so. I'll just store it somewhere else then. I thought this was a really useful resource, seeing as all the other world-based custom maps have such inaccurate terrain, but its apparently 'poor quality'. Well w/e

15. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This was made with tool dude, and still you made it wrong, no hills no tiles, water is always on same level.