1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Creating an Outline ?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by Samoner, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Samoner

Samoner

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just wanted to ask if there is anyway to put an outline, like the one on the screen, on a warcraft 3 model ??? I know that the model on the picture is cell shaded and that Warcraft doesnt work with cell shading.
    So what I want to know, is there any filtermode or suchthing to make just the "outline" working ingame ???

[​IMG]

2. gohan43

gohan43

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i dont believe cell shading is supported with warcrafts system

3. Samoner

Samoner

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know its not, but I just thought that I maybe can make the outline working... but at the moment i think the outline will also not work ingame =/

4. pkw

pkw

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is a way to make the outline, but it makes the model size to be big =.=

Copy and paste the whole mesh into another geoset.
    Enlarge a little.
    Change the texture of that enlarged mesh into Textures\Black32.blp

If you doesn't want to use this method, I think you should skin it =\

5. Samoner

Samoner

Resources:
    Resources:
    but when i do this, wouldnt the whole model be black ? how do i make the second mesh invisible except the outline ?

6. shamanyouranus

shamanyouranus

Resources:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    pkw has the right idea, but you need to take it one step further.
    You need to copy the whole thing, and paste it a little bigger. Then you need to flip the bigger mesh inside out, so that the material is on the inside instead of the outside. This will make it so you only see the black around the edges of the smaller mesh, like an outline. BAAM!

7. Samoner

Samoner

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah thats the step I missed at pkws post ;) ... I'll try it

thank you

8. pkw

pkw

Resources:
    Resources:
    oh dang lol. Forgot to said that =\

9. Samoner

Samoner

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just tried it ... but I've got a problem. The only way I know, to flip a model inside out (in 3ds Max!!!) is to "Flip Normals" but how do I export this now ???
    If I do it the normal way the model isn't flipped inside out ingame so its just black. Hope somebody can help =)

10. SnaKy

SnaKy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    okay, so i've tried something, it works in Magos, have to test it ingame yet, but i believe it works

Attached Files:

11. Samoner

Samoner

Resources:
    Resources:
    in magos it works fine but it does not ingame :(

12. SnaKy

SnaKy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    how about this? but it has some limitations as you can see, pic is from the game

Attached Files:

13. Samoner

Samoner

Resources:
    Resources:
    hmmm ^^ well, now it works ingame but not correctly. i remeber this bug from a model i've seen on wc3c.net ... they fixed the bug, but i dont know how to ;) but of course i thank you for your time