• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Other computer won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi , im writing this from another computer... It began yesterday when i came home and started my computer (I had Vista) , well Avast started to report every 3 seconds a virus in windows/temp , and i couldn't delete it , so i made a backup of some important data , removed Vista and installed Ubuntu 10.04. , yesterday it was working with no problems and i also started to upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 , in the middle of the upgrade the power got off and it didn't complete it , since then when i started my computer it wont go past a black (a bit violet) screen , so i tryed reinstalling Ubuntu , but it does the same , and the same for Windows (exception that the screen is the classic Vista desktop with the cursor and nothing else)... also the keyboard is completely out but only when it freezes at that place , also the monitor goes into power saving mode after a while and i can't go out , i can do nothing...

The virus i mentioned was detected as a Dangerous URL...
I have also one question because both problems are connected with an album , before the Virus came on Windows i was listening to one album and the same was for Ubuntu before it started to do this... Is it possible that a Virus is in a MP3 file ???

Level 5
When you reinstall the operating system you are killing all the viruses for sure. Also there is not much risk to get a virus on ubuntu. So I believe it's not a virus.
Check your video card first. If it's okay then check the HDD and then - the power unit. If nothing helps then it's your motherboard.

Level 7
I tryed again Vista it worked now but when i had to choose a disc and format it it wrote the error 0x80004005 and it is not able to formate it , so i guess the problem is realy here

Level 7
OK it is working now , still I fear that i have that virus still on the backup disc and it may get here again... Im not very sure from where it came because first of all my computer started to get slower lately also the Windows Diagnostic Center always closed itself and lagged my computer for a while...
There was a site that avast reported has malware but it said that avast blocked it... So if there is a virus in the backup disc , but avast was not able to find it... Is there even a way to find from where it came ?

Level 5
When you move the files to a disc and then delete the original files there's surely no way to find out from where it comes. If you afraid of viruses in your backup then you should better install a system from surely clear disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.