• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

some tech support needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Why hive you ask? well its the only forum i really use, and the people here seem to have the know-how..

I'm running 64 bit windows 7. One of the problems i have is that I have a trojan. Once the computer starts it goes past the boot menu, and then im left with a black screen, with a flashing white underscore in the top left corner.

Ultimately im looking for a way to get rid of this. Here are the things I've tried, most of which wouldnt work due to technical difficulties.

1. System restore. Tried the newest point and an older point, neither worked.
2. Running in safe mode. The virus doesnt care, safe mode still meets the black screen.
3.System repair - oh wait my computer didnt come with any recovery discs -.-'

After this It occurred to me that i could boot with my ubuntu CD, and get an antivirus on there to disinfect the hard drive, however because of Ubuntu's retarded nature i would need to download clam on there, and that needed the internet. However...

1. Internet didnt work. No matter what I did.
2. Tried putting in modem's install disc, but Ubuntu couldn't run it.
3. Running firefox - after a while my computer deecided to give up and i get an error when i try to even RUN firefox. rebooting only made it worse.
4. Searched the HP recovery parition of my hard drive for modem drivers - found nothing.

Also, my modem is a belkin ADSL if thats any help.

Combined with the internet dropping out every 5 minutes you wouldn't believe how PISSED OFF i've been for the past 6 hours.

If all else fails i can wipe my hard drive but thats a last resort...

Anyway i need someone to point out how to successfully do one of the above so I can get rid of the trojan on my main computer. I will love you if you help :)

EDIT: if its any help i found this tutorial half way through my troubles and its basically what I was trying to do: http://maketecheasier.com/remove-windows-viruses-with-linux/2010/02/02

EDIT: I'm trying rescue cd's. AVIRA and Kapersky didnt work so now im downloading bitdefender - 1 hour remaining. fml

Last edited:
Level 7
Hmm... Have you tried fiddling around with your BIOS settings? Your boot settings may have been corrupted by the virus, so take a look at your BIOS settings if possible. Tell me what you're finding.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am asking myself how you got such an imbeded virus/worm... Windows 7 64 bit does not make it particually easy to do such a thing... Especially since it can not run 32 bit OS files.

The best way to get data off the harddisk (and try and remove the virus/worm) would be to run the hard disk as a slave on another computer. As the opperating system loads from that computer's uninfected master drive (as it works), you will be able to read the entire contense of the slave drive (might cause problems if it was encrypted or other security features) and fix the problem remotly.

Even a USB external hard disk would work to allow you to access the hard disk.

Level 34
It doesn't sound like a virus to me, but I could be wrong. I'd take it to a local computer store and have them diagnose it. If you look around, sometimes you can find a place that will do a diagnostic for free. It sounds more like hardware failure. Maybe your HDD is on the fritz?

Note: In my opinion, people figure when a computer is having trouble, it's a virus. Quite often it winds up being something completely different (especially driver issues). Maybe it's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.