• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Orc Catapult (WC1)

2020-08-23
- New icon

2020-06-04
- Added icon variation

2020-05-29
- New texture for winch
- Reimported skull from Frost Wyrm (original texture wrapping)
- New icon
Previews
Contents

Catapult Icon (Icon)

Orc Catapult (WC1) (Model)

Orc Catapult (WC1) icon (Icon)

Reviews
General Frank
Changes are made and resource approved.
Level 12
Good work. The skull to me seems a bit too much though... I get this image in my head of orcish peons talking with their overseer:

Peon: Job's done massa!
Overseer: You worthless worm! Where is the giant dragon skull that's supposed to be at the front!?
Peon: Sorry massa no more dragon skulls in the workshop and our last dragonhunter expedition was intercepted by humans so...
Overseer: No excuses you pathetic maggot! If I don't see the catapult decorated with a dragon skull within the hour it's all over for you and your wife and children!
Peon: No massa please! The skull isn't even important the catapult can fire just fine - I tested i-
Overseer: *smahes peon's skull with his command rod*... You descpicable cur! *turns to the rest of the peons* You unclean runts better start picking straws! I want a dragon skull crafted out of your bones and ready upon the catapult before I return!

Last edited:
This model does not feel orc-ish. IMHO
Yet, animations are cool, I like them. Are those animations already in the catapult itself before editing the mesh?
Yeah, only the winch turning in the attack animation was added.

Peon: Job's done massa!
Overseer: You worthless worm! Where is the giant dragon skull that's supposed to be at the front!?
Peon: Sorry massa no more dragon skulls in the workshop and our last dragonhunter expedition was intercepted by humans so...
Overseers: No excuses you pathetic maggot! If I don't see the catapult decorated with a dragon skull within the hour it's all over for you and your wife and children!
Peon: No massa please! The skull isn't even important the catapult can fire just fine - I tested i-
Overseer: *smahes peon's skull with his command rod*... You descpicable cur! *turns to the rest of the peons* You unclean runts better start picking straws! I want a dragon skull crafted out of your bones and ready upon the catapult before I return!
lol :D

It's based on this image:
300px-Warcraft_I_-_OrcCatapult.jpg

Gotta love how the mechanism that pulls the catapult moves tho

Dragons weren't a thing back then, so it might be a daemon's head.
Well dragons existed, who's to say the orcs didn't encounter a few of them :p Or maybe just one and the ones on the catapults are made of wood or something :p

Level 11
Why don't you just ask him to do it? I mean, why should someone else do it?
because if i do it, it will be the equivalent of Doom's Mordeth Award, and i will never finish, which is happening atm with the night elf race update for morrowind.

also when i tried to do with the Sc-55 music to replace it, it crashed the game.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
because if i do it, it will be the equivalent of Doom's Mordeth Award, and i will never finish, which is happening atm with the night elf race update for morrowind.
I fail to see how that's similar. A total conversion mod is way different than importing some models.
Also, I didn't say you should do it because you'd probably need permission if you want to make it public afterwards, I implied asking the author to consider the change.
also when i tried to do with the Sc-55 music to replace it, it crashed the game.
We need more details. It might be something related to sound format, I don't know.

Level 11
I fail to see how that's similar. A total conversion mod is way different than importing some models.
Also, I didn't say you should do it because you'd probably need permission if you want to make it public afterwards, I implied asking the author to consider the change.

We need more details. It might be something related to sound format, I don't know.
In morrowind's case, Hyperion left it open to anyone to update it as long as someone credits him, but im occupied with other stuff atm that is really taking my time.

in the campaign's case, i used the gog mp3 music, but it broke on 1.27, but it worked well on 1.31.
Also it would need a full fledged re recording of the map briefings, since they still use the low quality soundblaster music in the background instead of SC-55 soundfont.

the GoG release is pre configured with general midi config, but it still needs VirtualMidiSynth + Dosbox ECE to use the Roland SC55 Soundfont for the music's highest quality during the briefings to be recorded, since GOG's Dosbox is crap due to how outdated it is, and Vogons Dosbox ECE fork has no issues with recording programs like Nvidia's stuff.