1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Orc-Burrow Vehicle

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Prince Aerrus, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Prince Aerrus

Prince Aerrus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Now I have yet to expirement with this, but this just popped into my head: What if you have a vehicle, something like a siege engine which can be occupied by several special soldiers and the more soldiers it has inside it the faster is its ROF, is this possible in the editor? Would this be OP, because it looks like an excellent idea to me.

2. maddeem

maddeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Definitely possible

3. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Although having only one type of soldier be able to use it might reduce its usefulness.

4. Prince Aerrus

Prince Aerrus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Using trigger you could probably have other units occupy it with a similar results, but this could get messy.

*Needs a trigger that enabless an attack if a passenger is present
    *Needs a trigger that disables an attack is the passenger leaves or there is no passenger
    *Needs a trigger that modifies the speed of the attack depending on how many passangers there are

The orc burrow ability does this itself

5. Lord Siler

Lord Siler

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im not 100% sure, but I think it's been done before, in the Dwarf campaign they had a modified siege engine called "Tyrin's Prototype" do exactly what you described but with a different projectile, at least that's how I remember it.

6. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Must have been updated since I played it, I don't remember that.

But then, you have limited unit types in the campaign.

7. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ultimately, there's four triggers missing from this to make it work as a single generic trigger. Setting attack range, setting attack model, setting attack damage type and setting valid targets for an attack. Of these, it's excusable to leave out the last two, should this only apply to units that have a single type of valid target and type of damage, and setting attack model can be a non-issue if we're discussing only non-projectile attacks. We have a condition for a unit being loaded into a transport, the actions accept "transporting unit" as the unit that has been loaded into, and we can set the base damage, dice number, dice size and attack interval from existing triggers, allowing the raw damage characteristics to be imitated directly.

No idea on how to handle a non-unique unit workaround for range, though if you only have one of the unit, you can use the Long Rifle upgrade to set the range as desired under if/then clauses checking the type of the unit loaded in, but this solution then requires a specific condition for each valid-to-load unit. For attack speed, you can increment a hidden attack speed increase ability for the unit in question.

Undoing the effect is also rendered a bit convoluted, as there isn't a trigger for unloading, and trying to use the unload ability as the trigger doesn't work when you click the transported unit out, so you have to use a hashtable or unit group or something to store the number of loaded units and draw that number for the effect. And it gets a lot more complicated when you're trying to set it up for more than one unit type at a time, both because there's only two slots for attacks and because you have to then have the game decide how to apply them to those two slots, unless you've narrowed down to just two units to begin with. At which point you should just have two Burrow abilities.

Unless the vehicle has attacks it uses when it isn't loaded, or some other property that makes Burrow's simple attack enabling a non-applicable solution.

There's also the solution of using Pheonix Fire abilities that give the statistics of the loaded unit attacks, necessitating an ability per valid unit and specific triggers. And you'll still need triggers tracking how many of a unit are loaded, to set the cooldown of the ability so that attack upgrades can be done with the ability levels. Or you can use triggers to apply the upgrade-based damage appropriately, which will be necessary to apply the variable damage of attacks anyways (and have them deal non-Spell damage). Regardless of how you do it, it isn't straightforward or generic, unless you go for JASS to do it a lot more manually.

8. Prince Aerrus

Prince Aerrus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Guess it will be too convoluted to work....

Can you please explain how the phoenix fire ability can be used in this case? I did some experimenting with it some time ago, and it just fires at units regardless of its caster's attack, I think it also burns the units it fires upon, I cant really recall much because this was really a while ago

9. maddeem

maddeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The simple solution is to give the siege unit cargo hold for two slots. Then morph the siege unit using this method: Hero passive transformation

Use Bribe's unit event to detect loading and unloading units: GUI Unit Event v2.5.2.0

When all is said and done it is very simple.

10. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Why transform the unit? Just increase the attack speed via script on load and decrease it on unload.

11. maddeem

maddeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Depends on how much of the attack the guy wants to modify I suppose
    Edit:
    I would say op should use the new natives, but the majority of them don't seem to work