• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Open source star cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I made a simple C# program where you can move the camera though the stars. The program is 3D and I code everything myself. I didn't use directX or any other 3D engine. You'll need Microsoft Visual C# 2010 or newer to compile and run the program.

I am not going to enhance this project due to the limits of C#. I will start over in C++ because it's pointers can be of great use.

It is very hard to find tutorials about creating your own 3D environment. All the tutorials only shows you how to use existing 3D development software. If you know about any 3D tutorials that doesn't involve these software then please post them here.

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• 3D Engine.zip
    72.9 KB · Views: 57

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I didn't use directX or any other 3D engine.
You really want to use libraries like Direct3D (Windows) or OpenGL (portability). Trying to software render with your own will be like trying to invent the wheel with putty.

The mathematics used should still be visible during shader production. You basically have vertex shaders which operate on invisible 3D vertices and then you have pixel shaders which operate to fill the screen.

The main advantage is that these libraries can take advantage of your GPU, which is designed to carry out such computations in parallel with special hardware unlike the CPU. As such a similar complexity scene with software rendering would run at only a few frames per second but at smooth 60 FPS if hardware accelerated on the GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.