• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

One geoset, various bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi everyone! I have a model with only one geost. I tryed to export ths geoset and put it in the completly skeleton of the blade master.
But when i import the geost, i only can select 1 bone to attach this. But i try to attach 1 geoset to various bones like blizzard models (a geoset is attached to various bones, for example, an arm is atached to 3 bones, like 3 diferent geosets, but it´s one geoset).

How can i attach 1 geoset to various bones?

Thanks...

PS: I use war3modeleditor and MDLVIS (english version)

Level 3
I believe war3 use many geosets split but connected by some properties, and each geoset is assigned to one bone, and when this bone moves far away from the other the connected border will stretch the faces.
This system of animating one geoset with many bones would only be used in gmax or 3dsmax 6-9, and the DeX exporter would then split the geoset into many, depending on the vertices selected by the envelopes of your bones.
I may be wrong.
Anyways, I didn't help you at all... =(
As a matter of fact, all your awesome models didn't require much animating techniques.

Level 7
Agh...this program sucks xD
I can´t open it in my computer...and my old computer too...I dscovered this program some mounths ago and it crashes...
Have you got another program?

Level 3
1. Open Magos War3 Model Editor and open your .mdx file. Save it as .mdl

2. Open the .mdl file with notepad (or your favorite text editor)

3. Scroll down to your bones and find the objectID of the bones that you want (make sure you name your bones something that makes sense using the node editor so that you can find them easily). Write them down, copy/paste, etc

4. Scroll down to your geoset and find the 'Groups' heading. It should be easy to find, use edit > find if you need to do so.

5. You should see a bunch of lines that say Matrices { x }. The x is the objectID of your bone. To attach it to multiple bones, change it so that it says Matrices { x, y } where x and y are the objectIDs of the bones that you want to attach it to. The way it is laid out is that the first Matrices line corresponds to vertex group 0, the 2nd line corresponds to vertex group 1, and so on. If you do not know which vertex group you want to mess with, scroll up to where it says VertexGroup { and find the vertices that you want (you will see 0, 1, 2, etc). They will probably all be 0.

6. Go back up to the line that says Groups. It will say something like Groups 1 1 {. The first number is the number of vertex groups, the second number is the total number of bone attachments - so if you change Matrices {3} to Matrices {3,4} you will have to add 1 to the 2nd number - it would then say something like Groups 1 2 {

7. Save file, open with Magos, convert back to mdx

Level 3
Open up another model that has multiple attached bones and look at how they do it, pay attention to the stuff I mentioned before (objectIDs, groups, matrices, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.