• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[OLD] What is your favorite song at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Danse macabre - Camille Saint-Saëns (1874)

Quoting Wikipedia:
"According to legend, "Death" appears at midnight every year on Halloween. Death calls forth the dead from their graves to dance for him while he plays his fiddle (here represented by a solo violin). His skeletons dance for him until the rooster crows at dawn, when they must return to their graves until the next year."

In video games, it can be heard notably in Alone in the Dark, and also in Air Power: Battle in the Skies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Two tracks from the OST of the American documentary film Powaqqatsi: Life in transformation.

Serra Pelada - Philip Glass (1988)

The Unutterable - Philip Glass (1988)

Powaqqatsi is the second film in the Qatsi trilogy.

The trilogy depicts different aspects of the relationship between humans, nature, and technology.
The films set their tone, only by the juxtaposition of images and music. No dialogue nor vocalized narration is being used.

More info:
Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi

Level 32
I just love the guitar and balance this song has. LP is not known for their guitar work, and this might not be their best, but this just sounds so good to my ear. It also has a good balance of most of what Linkin Park does great for me (high-low vocals, rap, guitar / drums, and a tiny bit of electronics). Gets me pumped every time.

A Line in the Sand (2014)
Genre: Alt Metal, Alt Rock, Rap

Blows their first album, Hybrid Theory, out of the water imo.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

^Well, what is your favorite atm then?

-----------------

I'd end up posting multiple songs anyway
  • Three Days Grace - Gone Forever
  • Three Days Grace - Wake Up
  • Dropkick Murphys - Rose Tattoo
  • Volbeat - For Evigt
  • Apocalyptica - Bittersweet
  • Foo Fighters - My Hero
  • HIM - The Funeral Of Hearts
  • Stone Sour - Absolute Zero

Edit:
No just kindding i think i like this one: (Fat Rat - Unity)
Hmm, I like Fat Rat's production as well, but I wouldn't consider the genre casually listenable. It fits well where I usually come across it - montage videos lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Not my favorite (I posted my all-time favs above), but sounds pretty good:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Popcorn - Hot Butter (1972)

An early electronic pop instrumental, originally composed by Gershon Kingsley in 1969.
'Pop' may stand for pop music, and 'corn' for kitsch.

Hot Butter's version is by far the most well-known of this tune.

pyf

pyf

Level 32

Attachments

• cafe_pont_de_chailly.jpg
    cafe_pont_de_chailly.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 60

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Paying Homage to David Bowie

In the adventure video game Omikron: The Nomad Soul, David Bowie played two roles within the game:
- as Boz, a game character who is a revolutionary wanted by authorities
- as the lead singer of a band named The Dreamers, performing in bars around Omikron City

The video game included eight songs written by David Bowie and Reeves Gabrels. Here are some of them:

New Angels of Promise

Something in the air

The pretty things are going to hell

Survive

Characters in the game could buy a virtual album by The Dreamers that they could listen to in their apartments. Or they could simply walk into an apartment that already has some of the music laid out in plain view or in hidden compartments.

The songs also appeared on David Bowie's album Hours, which was released a few weeks earlier than the game. Some songs on the album were a bit different than the versions used in the game. For example, for the song "New Angels of Promise" (used in the game's intro), Bowie changed the chorus lyric 'Omikron' to 'Suspicious Minds'.

(source: Wikipedia)

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
My Baby just cares for me - Nina Simone (1958)

This track from 1958 remained relatively obscure until 1987, when it was used in a UK television commercial. To follow up this exposure, the track was released as a single.

The 1987 music video features claymation by Aardman Animations (of Chicken Run / Wallace and Gromit fame, among others).

The original 1930 version, sung by Eddie Cantor in the musical comedy film Whoopee!, is here.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Two tracks from the 1991 British film Prospero's Books. Music by Michael Nyman.

Prospero's Books is an avant-garde film adaptation of William Shakespeare's play The Tempest (1610-11?)

Prospero's Magic

The Masque (lyrics here)

The three performers are (in order of appearance):
- Marie Angel (as Iris, goddess of the rainbow and messenger of the gods).
- Ute Lemper (as Ceres, goddess of agriculture, fertility and motherly relationships)
- Deborah Conway (as Juno, goddess of marriage and childbirth)

Full original text by William Shakespeare, side-by-side with an adaptation into modern English:
No Fear Shakespeare: The Tempest: Act 4, Scene 1, Page 3

Status
Not open for further replies.