• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Object Editor Tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Hi,
not just recently am I interested in this topic. Since by now I handle almost everything possible via trigger, I use to enter null or abnormal values for the properties of objects in object editor. Same goes for gameplay constants.

That's why I'd like to know whether there are certain bad values that upset performance or which could improve it.

For example, on the ability Soulburn you should avoid it at all costs to set the damage interval to zero in case it doesn't kill the target before long.

Level 6
I don't really get what you are asking for?
But I'll give it a try.

If you want a summon to be permanent set the duration on the spell to 0.
Just as you mentioned Soulburn, you shouldn't set the Shadow Strike damage interval to 0, since it will just kill the target right away.

I'm not sure if that's what you are asking for, but I think the best solution to avoid these kinds of thing are to use Channel as your base ability and remember to give every Channel spell a diffrent base-id.

Level 26
If you want a summon to be permanent set the duration on the spell to 0.

It's only the performance I am concerned about. It's not really important for gameplay order what value a field contains, I overwrite them or just do not use them. But having them blank/uniform is already another possibility to better synchronize them with my triggers.

Just as you mentioned Soulburn, you shouldn't set the Shadow Strike damage interval to 0, since it will just kill the target right away.

It won't necessarily. The spell could do no damage, the target could be immune or the damage amount is not big enough since an interval of 0 is still not infinite small.

I'm not sure if that's what you are asking for, but I think the best solution to avoid these kinds of thing are to use Channel as your base ability and remember to give every Channel spell a diffrent base-id.

I am already using channel abilities where it's possible. However, there are more object types than just abilities and the mentioned Soulburn above is usually used to silence a unit (there are other spells for this, too, though), so it's one of these special abilities that you can implement in your systems because you cannot really imitate it via triggers.

Level 6
It's only the performance I am concerned about. It's not really important for gameplay order what value a field contains, I overwrite them or just do not use them. But having them blank/uniform is already another possibility to better synchronize them with my triggers.
Yeah, I got that now. Not sure I can help you then : /

It won't necessarily. The spell could do no damage, the target could be immune or the damage amount is not big enough since an interval of 0 is still not infinite small.
If the target was immune the spell would have a hard timed just hitting the target and I just ran a test for fun and from that I can see that Shadow Strike with an interval of 0 hits the target 10051 times a second, if that doesn't kill your target he either got a huge amount of hp or the SS damage is rather low.

Status
Not open for further replies.