• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Northrend Crossroads

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A melee map for 1v1, 2v2 or FFA. I made it from scratch so tell me what you think about the terrain.

Keywords:
melee, northerend, arthas, cold, blizzard
Contents

Northrend Crossroads (Map)

Reviews
10:28, 5th April 2009, by Rui: The map's terrain and imbalanced drops urgently need to be fixed. If they don't get fixed within a week, the map is Rejected. P.S. – Read comments #8 and #9 for more detailed reviews. 18:37, 11th April 2009, by Rui...

M

10:28, 5th April 2009, by Rui:
The map's terrain and imbalanced drops urgently need to be fixed. If they don't get fixed within a week, the map is Rejected.
P.S. – Read comments #8 and #9 for more detailed reviews.

18:37, 11th April 2009, by Rui:
I think more than enough time has been given. Anyway, if you update your map (you'll find the button above the map's name) the status will be Pending again.
For now, Rejected.

Level 2
Quick review

Well, when I played this map, I had difficulties to, well..., find bad and good things about it. Anyways, here is some of the things I found:

+
----
1) You got the important things like mobs, stores, gold mines, trees and so on.

2) You used effects like fire and lightning.

+/-
----
1) I see that u have used some doodads around the map, like on the wall around parts of the bases and on two of the gold mines, but it would be cool if u used some more, like for example on the other two mines (I mean the gold mines that doesn't got start location).

-
----
1) You need to kill mobs to leave your base, except at night (not normal in a melee map). Remove these or place them somewhere else, like in two of the three corners in the bases (not in the corner with the gold mine).

(this represents 1 of the 4 corner bases on your map)

|-------- You can add mobs at * (green circle on map, 1x lv 3 and 2x lv 1)
|GM'''''*/
|'''''''''' <------ exit/entrance to base
|''''''/
|*/

2) You should add some more trees in the bases, but don't add them like a triangle around the base. That looks unrealistic.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I am reviewing "Northrend Crossroads", a melee map by Royal_Guard.
Being it a melee map, the gameplay is obvious: pick one of the four available races and destroy your opponent.

Let's start with the terrain.
The terrain seemed fine at first, presenting a good ground texture variation. Then I realized you had deleted the borders, which I always tell people not to do. The landscape was flat, and there was just no room for fights outside the main bases. It was so tight that you could barely pass through the middle without getting attacked by the creeps, which consisted of Ghosts (creeps who do not sleep at night).

And speaking of creeps, the worst were definitely the drops. They were totally imbalanced. So, we get a level 2 permanent (Claws of Attack +6) from two Skeleton Archers and a Skeleton Marksman? That's insane. And it could have easily been avoided if only you had looked at a map by Blizzard, which has the exact same creep camp.

The only other thing I remember are a few holes in the trees. Else I can only mention a good distribution of neutral buildings and placement of creep camps. But the drops urgently need a rectification.
In order to fix the terrain problem, I see only two possibilities: delete a few trees, or simply take back the line of cliffs a little. Or both.

Right now, my rating for this map is 2/5 (Lacking). The map has a week to receive these changes, else it is [highlight]Rejected[/code].

Last edited:
Level 18
bounty hunter2's Review on Northrend Crossroads

Northrend Crossroads is a four player melee map, where your goal is to destroy your opponent, alone or with an ally, with the use of one of the four melee races.

To start, the terrain wasn't done nicely. You inputed to much Blizzard cliffs, and on them the ice blocks, which looked quite ugly. You also deleted the borders. There wasn't enough space to walk through, and there were some strange height variations in the middle.

The creeps and droops were bad. Imbalanced. A green creep group dropped a +6 claws of attack, and that same group dropped sentry wards. Some stronger groups dropped two permament items.

The gameplay wasn't much, since it was really tight to fight, there weren't much things to do.

The map is symmetrical thus that balance doesn't come into question.

Overall, a melee map that needs a lot more work put into it, I would rate it 2/5 and Pending, but seems that you are lucky that Rui got to you first :p