• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Normalized Float Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I was searching all over the internet and YouTube videos on how float are stored in computer memory as binary, I found out how but I was stuck at the part on how to normalize a binary number, some sites and videos say that it is in this format '0.1011 x 2e' and others say you must have a leading 1 like this '1.0110 x 2e' also according to many sites I read, it is the leading 1 that is normalized.

With 8-bit system:
1 bit for the sign
3 bit for the exponent
4 bit for the mantissa

I saw a video that represents 7.0

and another site as

Which is correct ?

Level 29
Level 16
Most widely supported float format is the IEEE 754 float, and you can find several information on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_floating_point Minifloats. On the other hand there are lots of float formats to fit for other needs ie: speed, size, precision, etc.

I know about the wiki site but didn't read much because those equations were making me nuts (thanks anyway) and I guess that there is no modern computer storing a float on a 8-bit, it was just an academic question about normalization/denormalization.

~thx again~

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
'1.0110 x 2e'
Is the normalized form. You get rid of any leading 0s to normalize it. This may not reflect how the number is stored as due to normalization you always know the first bit is a 1 and so you do not need to store it (kind of compression).

8 bit floats are impractical to use as the range and granularity provided is small and the computation overhead is still high. Since the range makes them impractical it is unlikely to have hardware acceleration meaning slow software simulation. This means that it is undoubtedly faster to compute 64 bit fixed point which is likely a lot more useful. Since most powerful systems have 32bit and 64bit float hardware acceleration it is logical that these will be commonly used.

Status
Not open for further replies.