• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Nobody used First or third person cameras or arrow key control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey, I've got a question regarding using first and third person cameras and arrow key controls.
Anyway, it's basically that I'm confused that people never use these? People hardly ever even use a custom camera at all. Even for RPG's and what not. Wouldn't people like to have a good third person camera for their rpgs like most games?
Regarding FPS's, I've made an fps myself using purely the W3 engine, only you couldn't look up and down. Same with third person. The problem is that I started more stuff and never finished them.
I've gotten fps perspective to work with gun models, weapon models (like skyrim), etc...
Anyway, regarding arrow key controls, I used those to fluidly move characters back forth left right rotate, etc... but they don't work well with more than one player, but I could fix that!
Again, I started project after project so I never finished them.

But anyway, I'm not even an advanced developer and I love using those features. My question is that why don't people ever use them?? Is it because they like the standard birds eye perspective, (Which I find hard to beleive.) or do people just not know how to do it? If they don't, I'd be glad to post an unprotected map with all the different features available. they're all fairly basic.

Level 28
There are plenty of maps that have custom camera system, namely Gaias, HeroRPG, Dualism(1st person camera), SotP, SharpShooter(1st person camera) the future maps like Paranoia(bird view), Requiem etc, there are still more maps that I can name, but I believe that you don't even know this maps.

Anyway try this camera and arrow system by The_Witcher, its the best system available for download. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...em-148930/?prev=of=downloads_month&order=DESC

FPC and TPC are used mostly by rpgs... seriously, you don't seem to be much acquainted with Hive maps if ur telling us that... anyway, the normal wc3 camera is pretty cool too, and it actually has less limitations/problems than FPC or TPC...

as for arrow keys, its because of the delay, which is something that you cannot really remove completely [according to DSG, and by my experience of doing programs outside of wc3 it seems to be really true]... especially on multiplayer setting...

my SP map though, uses arrow keys to execute abilities...

Level 2
There are plenty of maps that have custom camera system, namely Gaias, HeroRPG, Dualism(1st person camera), SotP, SharpShooter(1st person camera) the future maps like Paranoia(bird view), Requiem etc, there are still more maps that I can name, but I believe that you don't even know this maps.

Anyway try this camera and arrow system by The_Witcher, its the best system available for download. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...em-148930/?prev=of=downloads_month&order=DESC

I see. I'm familiar with sotp, sharpshooter, and a couple platformers everyone liked. I only download maps with good reviews and screenshots, and then there's my own personal taste, so no, I may not be as acquainted as you are, but I have seen a great deal of maps on the hive, and most of them rock the birds-eye. But the idea is that you don't see that very much. I'm excluding all modified birds-eye cameras, keep that in mind. But you go to the "shooter/modern warefare" section and everything is birds eye. Sure, there's a few first/third, and I will admit there's a few creative ones out there, but people put heart and soul into creating hit maps with beautiful environment and all these great features, except a ton of them seem like they were meant to go first or third person and didn't do it. (Btw, dualism is exactly what I'm talking about.) You take the horror maps people make and you know they want it to be scary, but it seems a lot of developers are limited by their birds-eye view. I mean I may be wrong. Everyone might love the w3 camera and I'm the only one egging for it. But the fact is that with the w3 engine we have the ability to make entirely new game genre's, (Despite the UI at the bottom) and this has been demonstrated by some developers here and there, but we still continually see the standard click movement and birds eye.

I'll also give that movement system a look. I read it's description and it has a pretty creative approach of doing it.

Adiktuz, I know what you mean by the delay, but there are ways to shrink it to the point where the only delay is the computer taking time to read the arrow keys, and I guess that just depends on processing speeds..
Plus, I know if you use the "rapid teleportation forward while running the walk animation" method it runs it reaaally clean and looks darn good, except poops out and starts skipping with more than one unit moving.
Plus sometimes the animations do dumb things, but there are ways to fix that too.

basically, it depends on processing power... and a lot of computers running wc3 are not so good to have really unnoticeable delay, +network latency on multiplayer...

Personally I think most players are accustomed to the default wc3 view and controls which is why most maps are made using those...

and using Arrow key for movement basically makes it hard to use a mouse...

Level 2
basically, it depends on processing power... and a lot of computers running wc3 are not so good to have really unnoticeable delay, +network latency on multiplayer...

Personally I think most players are accustomed to the default wc3 view and controls which is why most maps are made using those...

and using Arrow key for movement basically makes it hard to use a mouse...

Yeah, your right about the delay. Well almost. I know it delays like a fudge with a lot of arrow key systems when there's two players or more. For the most part, I'm using some ooold stuff without even a graphics card and single player works fine.
But what if you made a game where you weren't supposed to use the mouse??

Status
Not open for further replies.