• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

No Zip-program... nothing works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey, amargaard's here!

I am looking for some advices to fix my problem... Long time ago, I Downloaded a program called WinZip. I do not remember why anymore, but i did and i should never have done so.

Soon I'd found out that everything that I downloaded afterwards from the Internet (Example: Something from the HIVE) was somehow infected by this evil program and could no longer be opened or used...!

The worst thing was that it could not be deleted and it just stood inside my Computer laughing of me. Then my Computer crashed and was not able to start up for a week or something. I invited a Computer-nerd-friend home and he repaired it easily and then deleted the program (Now it could be deleted!?).

I'm glad that my computer now works once again, BUT: Though the program is deleted the problem persist. Just in another way it's a problem. When I downloads something now, the files are not 'Zip'-files as they used to be. Now they are just 'program'-files, and can still not be used...!

Guess I have to download another 'Zip-converter'-program to get them work (like WinZip). But since the WinZip-problem I'm a little afraid to download any of these. Please, if anyone knows anything, tell me...

- Amargaard / ANM / Jalokin95

Level 21
Use WinRAR, it is not virus infected... ;)

And by the way, it is very much possible that the programm itself was not infected, but the stuff you downloaded could, you know, a virus cannot "jump" into a programm and be transported with it, you have to download data to catch a virus ;). Maybe there was a win-info file beside the winzip? That win-info could be infected.

But WinRAR is not infected, I use it now for 3 years, the testing license has expired, but I can still make zip-files and unzip them ;).

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I seriously doubt WinZip 'caused you any trouble, but rather something else you downloaded. Anyhow, download WinRAR or 7Zip, ithey are more versatile and will let you open your .zip-archives.

Level 19
Well, thank you all for the helpful answers! :)

STATUS: I still haven't downloaded any new Zip-programs because I remember that before I downloaded WinZip I was able to get files from the internet anyway. As if Windows had an automatic Zip-program. Only a guess (I'm not good at such things), but it were replaced by WinZip (Maybe).

IF: Windows have an automatic-Zip-program I want to use that mostly, or else I just want something that I can control, not some advanced stuff like WinZip. I have searched the internet and found a lot of others like me, who had got in trouble. But also some who mainly uses and suggests the program. Maybe it's just me, who can't control it...

BTW: I don't think my computer crashed because of WinZip though i have no idea.

Level 19
Hmmm... Again thanks all :)

WELL: The most of you say that i should use even Winrar or 7zip. Problem is that I don't know how to use these. If anyone can give me a short tutorial i would be glad. I still haven't downloaded anything because there's still much I don't know about these Zip-converter-programs. I want it to be as easy as possible.

AN EXAMPLE: If i download a model here from HIVE (And I got one of these two programs) and I want to use it directly after that, by importing it to World Editor. Can I do that, or am I going to change something in the new file (The model) first?

EVEN BETTER: The best choise, if you ask me, would be to use Windows's own Zip-converter-program. There was no special things I should know before downloading from the Internet. But... Where is it? Is it gone? Can I repair it? What is it called? If this is not any choise, I would love to know about the other two (Or more?) programs. Sorry for being asking all the time.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You don't seem to know what a .zip-archive is. It's a folder, only it's data is packed to one file for easy transfer, and it can also be compressed in order to take up less file space. In order to use the file within the archive, you need to pack it out. Thus in order for you to import a downloaded model, .mdx/.mdl (I can't remember which file you import), you need to unpack the .zip-archive using WinZIP/WinRAR/7-Zip (and there's probably a lot more programs as well). Mostly, you just right-click the .zip file, select "Unpack here.." or "Unpack.." (the latter gives you the option to choose where you want the files within to be placed).

You are not going to change ANYTHING in the model file by default. All you have to do is to extract it from the archive.

http://www.binaries4all.com/7zip/
http://www.binaries4all.com/7zip/extract.php
This tutorial gives you the basic knowledge of how to use 7zip. It's easy and noob-friendly.

And what shiiK said, you need to unpack the models/skins/icons from the zip in order to import them.

Importing the zip file itself in World Editor will NOT work at all.
Because some resources require you to give them specific paths when imported, and some requires to be applied on a unit/spell/doodad/etc. via World Editor's Object Editor when imported.

Level 19
Oh my God! I love these FORUMS... And everyone in here who is willing to help! THANK YOU :)

Guess i have made my decision. I will try the links you gave me, Dan van Ohllus, to this 7-zip program. Thank you all for the help (Will give you +rep if you want). I do not think I will post something in here again... Well, if I get troube with this 7-zip-thing I will no doubt post it in here again... :)

Level 34
If I got 'stubborn' programs that don't want to get deleted via standard ways, then I use my CCleaner program, it removes unwanted browser-system files like hidden cookies. It also can fix/improve your system by removing old and unwanted files. The third tool it uses the same principle as the Add Or Remove Programs list in My Computer but it's less stubborn than the AORP when it comes to altering/removing them. You can also alter files so they won't start up at logging in. Simple to use.

I'm just saying.

Level 19
Hmmm... And now i'm here again! >:D

In a long time i haven't done anything because I was too lazy... Now I tried the link you gave me, Dan van Ohllus, and saved the sites in favourites to later read the tutorials. Pressed the 'Download 7-Zip'-button, and came into another site. On this one, i saw, that it (7-Zip) was made only for Windows 32-bit and x64... and I got Vista ... (!) ... (!) ... (!) ...

I'm not sure that it doesn't work for vista, but I won't download it until i'm 100% sure that it's the right thing to download to solve my problem.

- Amargaard/ ANM / Jalokin95

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Hmmm... And now i'm here again! >:D

In a long time i haven't done anything because I was too lazy... Now I tried the link you gave me, Dan van Ohllus, and saved the sites in favourites to later read the tutorials. Pressed the 'Download 7-Zip'-button, and came into another site. On this one, i saw, that it (7-Zip) was made only for Windows 32-bit and x64... and I got Vista ... (!) ... (!) ... (!) ...

I'm not sure that it doesn't work for vista, but I won't download it until i'm 100% sure that it's the right thing to download to solve my problem.

- Amargaard/ ANM / Jalokin95

32-bit and 64-bit doesn't have anything to do with a specific OS. It doesn't matter if you have Vista. What you need to know is if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit based. How?

1. Go to "Computer" (the window where you see your HDDs, CD/DVD/Blu-ray-ROMs and other external media drives)
2. Right-click within the window and choose "Properties"
3. A new window should have popped up, and in it there are some details about your "System" .. look for the line that says "System type" (or anywhere it says either 32-bit or 64-bit)
4. Download the 7zip version that is the same as your operating system type

(Alternatively, you can go Control Panel-> System instead of Step 1 and 2.. I just thought it might be easier that way for you.)

Level 19
Woow! Thank you ShiiK! (I'll give you +rep! EDIT: I couldn't... Strange?) >:D

Found out: It says 64-bit. Well, then i will try again downloading the 64-bit version :) Thank you all for your help. Anyway, I just had a thought - I am 'downloading' 7-zip and what I have lost is a program that can download things for me. So, am I able to download it or... Anyway, I'll do it and finds out!

Some 'By the Way's: 1) this thread became pretty much longer than I expected, that's just showing that there's a lot of helpful guys in here :)
2) I don't know what 'PM' and 'OS' means >:D
3) S4nji, WinZip was the program I used before and the one that caused all this trouble because i didn't knew how to use it right. Because of that, I'm not going to download that one again. >:D

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Woow! Thank you ShiiK! (I'll give you +rep! EDIT: I couldn't... Strange?) >:D

Found out: It says 64-bit. Well, then i will try again downloading the 64-bit version :) Thank you all for your help. Anyway, I just had a thought - I am 'downloading' 7-zip and what I have lost is a program that can download things for me. So, am I able to download it or... Anyway, I'll do it and finds out!

Some 'By the Way's: 1) this thread became pretty much longer than I expected, that's just showing that there's a lot of helpful guys in here :)
2) I don't know what 'PM' and 'OS' means >:D
3) S4nji, WinZip was the program I used before and the one that caused all this trouble because i didn't knew how to use it right. Because of that, I'm not going to download that one again. >:D

You couldn't give +rep simply because you already gave me some a little while ago. I don't care all that much about reputation points either way, so don't let that bug you. Heh.

Aye, you should download the 64-bit version. You don't need a program to download for you, other than your internet browser. Usually, freeware programs like these (7zip, WinRAR ..) are available as archives and executables. Your browser, whichever one you are using (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome..), comes with the necessary tools to download 7zip.

Dan explained your other questions I guess. :)

Level 14
For me :
WinRAR > WinZIP > 7Zip
WinRAR is very easy to use and it has a nice context menu, and nice design too...
WinZIP is also easy to use and it has good design
7Zip is easy-easy-hard to use for common peoples and has a too-simple design...
Just my opinion :D
But... I still suggest you to use WinZip or WinRAR....
Always read User Guide or Manual or Knowledge Base before using to avoid errors...
And read FAQs if you have time or problem
If it's not showed on the FAQ, then ask for support on the site
And as a note, Winrar and Winzip is not free, it's 40 day trial...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

For me :
WinRAR > WinZIP > 7Zip
WinRAR is very easy to use and it has a nice context menu, and nice design too...
WinZIP is also easy to use and it has good design
7Zip is easy-easy-hard to use for common peoples and has a too-simple design...
Just my opinion :D
But... I still suggest you to use WinZip or WinRAR....
Always read User Guide or Manual or Knowledge Base before using to avoid errors...
And read FAQs if you have time or problem
If it's not showed on the FAQ, then ask for support on the site
And as a note, Winrar and Winzip is not free, it's 40 day trial...

7zip is as easy as the rest of them. They all use pretty much the same terms; Extract .., Add to..; as for graphical design, I quite honestly think 7zip looks the best.

There's no need to read through a user guide or manual, really. If you encounter trouble, seek the FAQ or ask somewhere (heck, JFGI). For simple usages like extracting files from- and adding files to- an archive, everything is pretty self-explanatory.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well for common people that don't even know computers deeply, they should read the Guide/Manual... That's for a very very common people.

The thing is, all you need to know in order to use 7zip is what an archive is (a collection of files), how to select multiple files (CTRL+Left-mouse-button, SHIFT+Left-mouse-button or by bagging files dragging mouse holding left-mouse-button -- there are more options), how to right-mouse-click (to bring up the menu where 7zip's functions are), the difference between extracting and adding (well, you can't extract if you have not selected an archive) and the easiest way then, is to make the default archive, ie FolderName.zip or FolderName.7z, and rename it (right-mouse-click the created archive, and select rename) to whatever you want it named and do with it what you wanted to in the first place (upload, burn to a back-up disc, etc). That's how easy it is to use archive tools, so there's no need to read a novel of a User Manual that probably tells you that you cannot put a cat in your archive, nor extract a bunny.

Level 19
NO! Don't close the thread, 'till I'm finished with this, please. Well, I am what you call a very very common person S4nji, which do not know much about computers... >:D

STATUS: I have downloaded 7-Zip and I have installed it... I haven't tested it yet and I haven't read the tutorials. Well, I'm gonna try it out now. Downloading some random model/icon/whatever and see if i can find out how to extract and all those 'easy things, that even beginners should knew anything about', if I can't I'll read the tutorials, but not until then. :-/

As I said, please, let this thread remain opened untill my problem is solved. And please know, everyone, how thankful I am, that you wants to help me. Keep that in mind! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.