• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Newbie Terrainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Here's my first try at making some terrain. Please comment on what is good/bad. The waterfall things are supposed to be streams of water gushing out from the mountain caves :/. I realize some are really misplaced; can someone teach me how to rotate doodads properly?

Attachments

• Rushfall.jpg
    Rushfall.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Rushfall Hill.jpg
    Rushfall Hill.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Rushfall Oasis.jpg
    Rushfall Oasis.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Level 34
A decent starting terrain. You need way more environment doodads and more tile variation. By that I mean add different dirt tiles in the city, and grass in the forest. Your cave should have rocks and shrubs all around it. Basically don't leave things plain. Mass doodads!

You do have height variation, you used Blizzard cliffs decently, and you used rock tile for hill/mountains. Good work!

Last edited:
Level 27
You can (Windows version) rotate doodads by holding control and left clicking where they should face. Or (on a mac) hold command(apple) and left click where you want them to face.

Alternative, for windows you can also click the object and then hold left mouse button down and rotate the thing like you want. I think thats the most easier and most accurate way..

Or.. err was it the right mouse button? ^^

Last edited:
Level 9
Hint 1: Dont use the lordearon summer tileset, its ugly
Hint 2: Try to Avoid using cliffs
Hint 3: Rotate doodads by putting random rotation off in the right layer of your screen and then rotate them by using the a button on the left of you screen, shouldn't be hard to find. for an even more accurate rotation double click (while not placing anything) of the doodad and change the rotation manually.

Level 1
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll try to keep those things in mind the next time I try creating terrain.

Level 34
Not good, not "that" bad, this could use a lot of improvement, try taking a look at some of the galleries here at the site. HernanG, Craka_J and HappyTauren's galleries are all of high quality.

Belgarath and myself (decent terrain)! Oh and Correx and MadseN.

Level 1
Eh, now that I've checked other people's terrain I feel like crap :D! Lol, kidding. I'm pretty motivated now, thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.