• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New Warcraft III security exploit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That's cool, don't even mention who discovered it, or give any credit whatsoever, because I'm sure after tinkering and discovering such things Jesus4Lyf would hate such mentions.
Well, "Jesus4Lyf" is just a user name on that site the person uses. There is no garuntee that other "Jesus4Lyf" users on different sites are that person. Mentioning that name could allow people to falsly take credits in the case of someone else using that name. I personally felt linking the thread would be far more effective as it garuntees the correct person is referd.

This was also more of a warning so that people are not caught off gaurd. If I was writing a full documentation on it I would ofcourse credit the correct person directly.

I am suprized you did not complain at me for not even mentioning the language it executes.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The author is credited (although indirectly via a link to his post). No person is falsely credited for discovering this (for example, I do not say I found it).
I also imagine this post was proof read by administration before being put up and they did not seem to have any problems with it in its current form.

I am amazed that hackers still have not made their move, this is such an easilly exploitable bug.

Level 3
Im tested map.

Any map hackers you can will loser key. Why? Bucase you have regedit in your key warcraf 3 or any games.

Any map hackers you can send email keys. too regedit

So i have visual basic 2010

(sorry for the english bad)

Edit:
Or yours game.dll, Storm.dll have keys

Level 8
Luckily (or perhaps just the opposite), Blizzard has to do something or else they might face legal trouble because of how they assure you that no virus will ever come from Battle.net. So they have to either fix it or shut down Battle.net. Hmm.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Blizzard has no obligation to patch old games unless they are legally forced to. They will legally be forced to if people start exploiting this.

How many games from pre 2000 still get patches on a regular baisis? Games, like all software, have an expected lifecycle. WC3 is reaching the end of it where it is still kept running but is no longer subject to regular maintence and attention.

Level 7
Not to break your highly interesting conversation, but this virus/hack can only be used if that JASS script is the map right? So you can use all of your previous maps and any new ones you make and not have to worry about it as long as you don't go on Bnet? This makes sense but Idk much about JASS.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Logically if you make the map, you will know if it is dangerous or not as that code requires something to put it in the map. Unless a virus is made to infect your machine and inserts the code into all maps you own or inserts code into the editor to make it insert the code into all maps it makes.

Old maps are also not safe, cause this exploit has always been around, just it has only been publicly revealed recently. There could me maps using it to infect people years ago for all we know. However as a rule of thumb, older maps by average people should be safe if the link is old. For example, Julians RPG or Final Fantays Forever will be safe if the version is old.

Level 27
Alright, just wanted to make sure. Just kind of freaked that I read the news one day and was all like WTF I start map making again and this happened? It shouldn't affect me then, as I haven't used Bnet in forever.

Not just B.net. You can just download and run a map that is infected and get infected.

Oh, so there might be a virus that infects all your maps? Kinda wanted to ask like something like that could be happening, but whatever... so anyway theoretically infecting other maps is possible?

Level 8
Yes, but I doubt someone would bother doing such complicated tasks.
It would require opening MPQ archives, finding a suitable function in which to add code and then add the code. Making a nice virus would also require recursion, which is not supported in Jass!
This would be nice, tho.

What does making a virus have to do with recursion...

Level 8
I was talking about efficiently infecting another map with the same code.
Does it sound possible to you, knowing the features of Jass?

Yes? The .vbs in startup can enumerate the Maps folder and can do file I/O as far as I'm concerned... But all this can be simply stopped by making a program that watches over your startup folders and gives out warnings when a new file appears. Still, I don't see where recursion comes in here? If not recursion, you can use loops? No?

Level 21
Yes? The .vbs in startup can enumerate the Maps folder and can do file I/O as far as I'm concerned... But all this can be simply stopped by making a program that watches over your startup folders and gives out warnings when a new file appears. Still, I don't see where recursion comes in here? If not recursion, you can use loops? No?

How do you insert the exact virus code in another map?

Level 3
I say it's stupid to be scared by this. If it hasn't happened to that many people, then its probably going to stay rare until Blizzard people themselves start to make sure all WC3 maps have viruses. (trying to shut down the game to empty out servers for sc2?)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Hosting your own is safest.

Joining games you appear to have downloaded is dangerous. The last exploit had a virus DotA allstars map which it appeared was already downladed (matched the hash of the real map) but when you joined it downloaded a very small (broken) map which started instantly (due to bot) and ran a virus which messed with all your maps.

Level 8

Joining games you appear to have downloaded is dangerous. The last exploit had a virus DotA allstars map which it appeared was already downladed (matched the hash of the real map) but when you joined it downloaded a very small (broken) map which started instantly (due to bot) and ran a virus which messed with all your maps.

well then. That makes me feel great... I guess im gonna stick with hosting for now even though it can be a pain.

Level 22

Yeah but if this new exploit runs on the next startup, you can check the folder and remove the new files (if any) before it gets the chance to activate at all.

Level 22
I usually say my thoughts out loud.

What are you trying to say with that?

does anyone know what these files it creates are called? Im not ure what to look for in my system 32 folder or wherever the folder is created...?

Sure, the created files will usually be .bat (batch file) or .vbs (visual basic script file), they will be created in your startup folder (Start > All Programs > Startup).

All you have to do is delete that file from the folder and you are safe once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.