• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New reforged custom maps I make crash when starting game

Level 2
As stated im having troubles trying to play a custom map I make. I get the unexpected error message, I’m not to computer savvy so I’ve tried redownloading still won’t work I’ve searched online and tried a couple things I’ve found but nothing.
-I haven’t done any custom models or things like that
-I changed a contestant for hero XP and stopped working after that I’ve switched it back and still nothing
-it has worked randomly but mostly doesnt
-I had the OG warcraft on my computer
-my computer is up to date and I have memory on this comp
I was thinking it might be the whole old files being used but again i can’t find much on solutions any help would be appreciated an please let me know if there are questions.
I also made two saves but they still both do not work when one hasn’t had any changes and is a plain map that worked

Last edited:
Level 23
I avoid using multiple wc3 versions specifically for fear that some unknown issue like you are describing will occur.

In the meantime, you might want to repair your wc3 (on the gear box next to "play", click "scan /repair"). Worse case scenario if still not working, you can just try reinstalling.

You could also try uploading it to a paste file so people can have a look at it.
Not sure if your map is an edit of a wc3 campaign map, if so, those maps always have strange bugs if people trying editing them.

Level 2
I avoid using multiple wc3 versions specifically for fear that some unknown issue like you are describing will occur.

In the meantime, you might want to repair your wc3 (on the gear box next to "play", click "scan /repair"). Worse case scenario if still not working, you can just try reinstalling.

You could also try uploading it to a paste file so people can have a look at it.
Not sure if your map is an edit of a wc3 campaign map, if so, those maps always have strange bugs if people trying editing them.
Thank you for the reply, when you say multiple version of Warcraft do you mean the old files of Warcraft I have on my comp? Should I get rid of them? I’m about to try the scan repair now. I did uninstall and reinstalled and it worked the first time but didn’t when I tried again a second. Lastly would I paste my map file?

Level 29
Thank you for the reply, when you say multiple version of Warcraft do you mean the old files of Warcraft I have on my comp? Should I get rid of them? I’m about to try the scan repair now. I did uninstall and reinstalled and it worked the first time but didn’t when I tried again a second. Lastly would I paste my map file?
I can confirm that having multiple versions of the game installed (let's says Reforged + any Classic versions of Warcraft III) is not recommended. It can cause a serious issues with the registries, especially the World Editor. See the notice below if you don't want the issues to be happened again (taken from 1.31.1 Thread):
While it is possible to have multiple versions of Warcraft III installed at the same time, you might run into some issues due to incompatible registry keys. As such, if you use (or used) another Warcraft III version, it's advised that you check the registry first by following these 3 simple steps:
  • Press Windows Key + R, type in "regedit" (without quotes) and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
  • In the Registry Editor, nagivate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment.
  • Look for folders: "Classic Launcher", "Warcraft III" and "WorldEdit".
Not all keys contained in these folders are causing problems, but for the sake of keeping this guide simple - if you see any of these folders, you might as well delete it entirely since any required keys will be automatically recreated upon launching the game.

If you'd prefer to delete specific keys instead, @BogdanW3 explained which ones are problematic:
Uninstalling them also doesn't remove all the registry keys that are capable of causing trouble (Tool Windows in the WorldEdit folder, the user save directory key if it's been shaped incompatibly with 1.28, and the graphics option ones in case you really need 1.26 or older as well)

Be advised that if you're planning to have multiple versions of Warcraft III installed at the same time, you might need to repeat the step above quite often when switching between versions, especially if you're using the World Editor. For example, if you play Reforged and then want to launch 1.31, but you're encountering problems, you'll need to "purge" the registry. Same when going from 1.31. to Reforged or any other version.

That said, if you're just using 1.31 and 1.32 and you'd like to keep your preferences, it might also be enough to simply delete this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit\Tool Windows

Level 2
Thank you, I’m gonna try that as soon as I’m home. Earlier I messed around with it and my map doesn’t work in single player mode I had to go to custom games online and it worked up there. I do not have a windows key