• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Race???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Ok, the general idea is to get a working BALANCED! custom race using sertain units for a specific theme. I was wondering, what could i use as a template?

I know the exact types of units i need

Seige
Light assault/attack
Ect.

But could someone elaborate for me, on what i would need. Can you help me out on types of buildings, and upgrades. Stuff like that, stuff that is essential to creating a new "theme based" race.

Level 3
I know my ideas soooo original

*cough* not </end fake cough>

any help would be good. I have a decent start but im sorta hitting a few bumps along the way :\

I know my ideas soooo original

*cough* not </end fake cough>

any help would be good. I have a decent start but im sorta hitting a few bumps along the way :\
There isnt anything wrong with it being un-original really. Just dont tell me your trying to do a naga one.

Im kinda busy right now though....SO im not sure I can help.

Level 3
No, it has to do with a compleatly different idea, the naga one passed my mind but wasent it already made? (in the editor as a side race?)

No, it has to do with a compleatly different idea, the naga one passed my mind but wasent it already made? (in the editor as a side race?)
Its not in the edito as a side race, its only halfway done. There is only one tier, not very many units or buildings, only one hero....

But millions of people try to make it so its amost as un-original as you can get....

Level 3
I noticed that, i want something slightly more custom though so dont worry about another naga one showing up xD

but if anyone wants to join this convo please assist me ^^;

I g2g for now but ill respond when i can...

Level 34
Like him?

BWGood.jpg

Level 21

IMO it wasn't exactly a good race... (to be more exact: one that could "safely" be added in warcraft 4)

What a 5th race should have is originality while still staying coherent. Creeb rebellion was just dumping totally random creep in 1 race.
For example: stay to ONE theme. The human alliance is made of dwarfs, humans and blood elves. Basically their appearance is nearly the same. NE fit together too because every unit lives in a forest. Most of the units also share the purple skin color.
using a gnoll with a troll and a satyr with an ogre doesn't make a new "race" IMO...

To make a race good, you should stick to one theme (e.g. Burning Legion or Naga or perhaps extending one of the smaller races like trolls, Goblins, ...). If you pick e.g. Naga, you'll have to add some none-naga units to the race. Try to only pick models that live in water. If you create a Demon race, pick units from the Outland tileset such as draenei, shades, nether dragons, doom guards and perhaps even fel orcs.
Next you'll have to decide what will set your race apart from the other 4 and make it interesting to play. I don't just want to play "human" with a few other models and names. Just look at the differences between the existing races and exploit them. E.g. Decide what gathering system you'll chose: Mining, acolyte / ghoul harvesting, wisp harvesting, or perhaps combinations?
Another example is the construction type: Don't base a gnoll worker off a wisp or something cause gnolls don't dissipate when they create an ancient...
Perhaps you can think of a totally different Tiering system?
Just try to differ from the other 4 races as much as possible. I've played some maps featuring 12 races or more. Sorry, they're bad because they all play the same. A race should be balanced and - like Blizzard themselves said - fun to play.

I've made some theoretical races (as in: made them on paper, never found the time to make a decent map out of it). If you don't have ideas, feel free to use some of these, though I'd like to receive some conceptual credits if you litterally use them :)

Burning Legion;
Harvesting system: Same as undeath; Acolytes.
Construction system: Summon structures (undeath). No blight needed. Only a limited amount of structures including:
- Nexus (main building)
- Altar (heroes) ~Demon Gate
- Tower / Food resource (unlike any of the 4 races, the tower building provides 8 food. Compareable to undeath, but no upgrade is required!)
- Upgrade building (contains all upgrades for weapons & spells)
- Research building (contains researches that unlock unit types).
Typical to the burning legion is that they summon their army on the battlefield.
Acolytes have a second ability that opens a new "spellbook" containing various unit summons. Those summons cost resources, and you need to research (research building) some unit types first. When you summon a unit, a portal will appear on the battlefield and will be 'summoned'. Once the portal is finished, it'll be unsummoned and a new unit will appear.
Most Legionarry units are incredibly strong. It is said that some units like the Doom Guard can be as strong as a hero.
One large disadvantage is their incredible vulnerability for dispels. All units (except for heroes) are in fact permanent summons, which means they take damage from dispels. To make up for this weakness, they have an upgrade that reduces any magic damage by 50%.
The tiering system is odd too. Unlike any other race, the burning legion actually constructs a second nexus to enter tier 2. This can be both an advantage as a disadvantage, since there are 4 tiers.

Wizards;
A secret guild of wizards has joined the battlefield of Azeroth.
Wizards use the normal tiering system.
Unlike the other races, this race has four mage-units that all have 3 (2 researchable) spells. They represent one of the four elements. The Watermage is adept at healing, wind mage is good at illusionist magics (invisibility, miror image, ...), the Earth and Fire mage are good at buffing and fighting.
4 heroes means 4 elements too.
The worker (an apprentice) can harvest, build structures and build Golems. Golems are very powerful beings with many HP's and armor, unlike their companions, the mages. However, Golems require mages in order to be build. a Water Golem will require at least 1 living watermage. To "heal" golems, they actually have to be repaired. The repairability is researchable for all mages.
The shopbuilding has an interesting additional ability: mana regeneration aura. Any nearby friendly unit will regenerate mana faster near this unit. Perhaps pro's will like to actually build one of these on the battlefield...

Just some random ideas...

Level 34
Dominion of the Wraiths

Strengths:
They've got a lot of mana and magics at their disposal and they've mostly got offensive spells. They protect themselves with a protected shield made of mana. They got and decent attacking buildings, even they got shields.

Weakness:
They're very weak, low hitpoints. Not recommended going without your Mana Shield to battle, that's the same to suicide. They have costly buildings and their quite weak too. Wraiths are very dependend to mana.

Main Building:
Wraith Hall, the town hall of the Wraiths, has a attack (decent but slow) and has MS, a drop-off point for wood and gold, produces Wraith Workers.
Barracks: Pit of Suffering, here are the basic soldiers of the Dominion created and fully armored, they recieve lost souls and can recruit them to their side, spawns Battlemage, Assassin, Zealot.
Siege Building: Hall of Annihilation, here are the siege weapons of the Dominion created and powered up with Wraith magics, they can devastate and corrupt armies and cities with their mighty Scorpions and Dreadnaughts.
Spellcaster Building: Archtower of the Abyess, the best of the best mages and sorceresses are born here, in the Archtower. The Warlocks can raise the fallen dead to serve them once more, the Maidens of Chaos can use dark Aether to take care of her enemies.
Tower(s): Tower of Corruption and Tower of Pain, the main two defensive towers, the ToC can infect enemies and decrease their armor, the ToP can inflict heavy damage on groups of enemies and they both have a chance to cast a random Wraith spell.
Heavy Barracks and Armory: Armory of the Dominion, here are the real monsters of the Wraith created, they can inflict huge and I mean HUGE damage to their enemies, but one downsize: They're slow and costly. Here in the Armory are upgrades available too.
Air Training Building: Netherbeastial Den, the old and mighty lords of the skies are back once more but now back with their old masters, I introduce you to the Netherdragons. Powerfull flying units who can rip a enemy flyer to shreds if you give it the chance. The Den also creates smaller ones, the Netherdragon Whelps, who can do more damage to air.
Hero Building:Altar of the Dominion, here are the heroes and villians of the Wraith Dominion summonded and resurrected. [name], [name] and [name]
are summoned on this Altar.

So that was it, I guess. Pretty nice racelore to my opinion. I'm off, tudu. ;)

Level 7
XD a random but funny idea

Snipers

Strengths: Long range medium damage.
Weaknesses: Not much mana, almost no speed (about 2.50 should do (if u want the idea), and not half bad skills
Main Building: Tower; has a sniper on top so it can do little damage. Skyscraper; more life better armor and little more damage; CNN tower; OMG I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HERE; better damage and more armor
Coast GuardSimple Snipers; Marines
ArmyMore range and better damage snipers
MarinesGreat damage, longg range!
RecruitmentHero maker place thinggy
Sniper Tower Defensive tower has a sniper on top
Animal ShelterBuys a dragon for your snipers to ride on (dragons can do own damage); Increased Cargo (more snipers); Dragon Breath (give the dragon the skill "Breath of Fire"
Artificial Intelligence:Upgrade Sniper Rifles: better damage; Scope: Longer range; Plated Armor: Increases armor
I guess it could work. As you can see I am obessed with snipers. Always wanted to go into the army and be one. Heh

Level 5
How about the Illidari? You know, like NEs have Dryads, Giants, and Elves, Humans get Humans, Dwarves, and High/Blood Elves, Orcs get Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, Undead get undead stuff...

The Illidari would have Naga, Draenei and Blood Elven units.

(Not exactly a new idea, Naga and Draenei have basic trees and Elves could be made pretty easily. Just a suggestion.)

Level 5
How about a race of Voids? Maybe you could ask people for more voidlike models. I believe there are a few voidlike models here like the Voidmaster.

-They could be more on casting their disturbing spells on their foes. Their only weakness is their low on HP, even their buildings. But still they are a formidable race to challenge.

Level 5
Well that aint new, bro. And why do I see you're AoR (below your name)? :S

Because AncientofRever is my login name on USEAST

And I did say it wasn't new, but combining the races could make it interesting. I would say a map that completes the Draenei and Naga tech tree and builds one for Blood Elves would be nice.

How about an Ogre techtree? I've been wanting to see one since the Stonemaul Ogres joined the Horde.

Level 34
Dominion of the Wraiths

Strengths:
They've got a lot of mana and magics at their disposal and they've mostly got offensive spells. They protect themselves with a protected shield made of mana. They got and decent attacking buildings, even they got shields.

Weakness:
They're very weak, low hitpoints. Not recommended going without your Mana Shield to battle, that's the same to suicide. They have costly buildings and their quite weak too. Wraiths are very dependend to mana.

Main Building:
Wraith Hall, the town hall of the Wraiths, has a attack (decent but slow) and has MS, a drop-off point for wood and gold, produces Wraith Workers.
Barracks: Pit of Suffering, here are the basic soldiers of the Dominion created and fully armored, they recieve lost souls and can recruit them to their side, spawns Battlemage, Assassin, Zealot.
Siege Building: Hall of Annihilation, here are the siege weapons of the Dominion created and powered up with Wraith magics, they can devastate and corrupt armies and cities with their mighty Scorpions and Dreadnaughts.
Spellcaster Building: Archtower of the Abyess, the best of the best mages and sorceresses are born here, in the Archtower. The Warlocks can raise the fallen dead to serve them once more, the Maidens of Chaos can use dark Aether to take care of her enemies.
Tower(s): Tower of Corruption and Tower of Pain, the main two defensive towers, the ToC can infect enemies and decrease their armor, the ToP can inflict heavy damage on groups of enemies and they both have a chance to cast a random Wraith spell.
Heavy Barracks and Armory: Armory of the Dominion, here are the real monsters of the Wraith created, they can inflict huge and I mean HUGE damage to their enemies, but one downsize: They're slow and costly. Here in the Armory are upgrades available too.
Air Training Building: Netherbeastial Den, the old and mighty lords of the skies are back once more but now back with their old masters, I introduce you to the Netherdragons. Powerfull flying units who can rip a enemy flyer to shreds if you give it the chance. The Den also creates smaller ones, the Netherdragon Whelps, who can do more damage to air.
Hero Building:Altar of the Dominion, here are the heroes and villians of the Wraith Dominion summonded and resurrected. [name], [name] and [name]
are summoned on this Altar.

So that was it, I guess. Pretty nice racelore to my opinion. I'm off, tudu. ;)

Wraith Dominion > All, mine's the most far best. Wahaha! =D

Level 3
I once tried it with dwarves. Here's some concepts I was playing around with while making it:

Dwarf units are slow (short legs), but are hard to dislodge once firmly settled upon a position. They deliver very harsh damage in melee, so your best bet would be to use hit and run on them.

To compensate for that weakness, dwarves use riflemen. The riflemen do good damage but fire slower than most ranged units. They are very good at taking down enemies from afar even as individuals.

Their spellcasters focus primarily on defensive abilities, thus adding even more to their stoic brethrens. With the spellcasters, the already hardened dwarves can weather incoming fire and charges for an amazingly long time while most other races would have died out.

One of the heroes is the "Sniper" (using that rifleman elite model someone made a while ago). He's surprisingly weak in melee for a dwarf, and is expectedly best employed in assassination or scouting missions. With a research upgrade he can become invisible at night.

Well, some of my ideas. I'm tired atm. Best of luck.

Level 2
You should think up of a race that isnt seen or is small (droids, spiders, pyroferals, aquafenas, etc.) And then make a hole custom techtree, units, etc. it could take a long time, but it would be VERY orginal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.