• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Modeling Tool Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Ok, i have finally gotten sick and tired of people and myself complaining about modeling tools so i will make one. i need ideas, what should it look like? how should you do this that and the other thing? everything that you want in it tell me and maybe give a reference picture (made in a painting program) i know i will have a few things.
1. Vertex/polygon controls such as move rotate and scale
2. tools like cut divide extrude and some others
3. bone creation and rigging
4. animation
5. particle emitter creation
6. primitive creation
7. perspective camera controls
all of these things will be done very similar to the way they are done in 3dsm. and if you can think of more than go ahead and tell them to me. i will be making it with C++ and it will be free.

the result will end up a lot like this program but with a few upsides and downsides different or (hopefully) no downsides.

my request is ideas, i need them, what do you want or not want?

Level 10
The biggest problem with custom modelling for warcraft 3 is animation, it's hard to get your hands on some software that can export your model's animations correctly.

If you just made an export script for gmax that could export animations without screwing them up then you wouldn't need to build a program from scratch. It would prolly be the best thing to happen to the war 3 modding community if you could do that

Level 4
well the basic functions from oinkerwinkles should not be ignored (duh)
so I guess if your good in programming the only things that we could use is mirroring/reversing of UVs and animation editing as well as rigging and bone constructions and then it would be teh pwn..

gl

Level 1
It would be great with a program that can place attachment points. There is one in the Oinkerwinkel Vertexmodefy, but Vertexmodefy haves alot of troubles :p

Level 9
madcd said:
this belongs in the tool developemnt section.

thanks for pointing this out i didn't see that section thanks. to others i do intend to make rigging bone construction and animating, as far as programing goes i'm very motivated so even if i don't know how to do one thing or another i will figure it out, and not give that thing up. anyway keep em coming these are all good comments. and btw i don't consider Warforger a good animation program as you cannot do things very well at all, my animating will be similar to 3Dsmax's animating, honestly i have never used milkshape but from what i understand it's very similar to 3DsMax in some ways just not as useful. also you will be able to create polygons and verticies as well as cut mirror set up a unwrap and yes there will be a readme. also if i have extra time i might do a loading screen creater.

btw don't be mistaken, this is not WIP, not a im going for it now, but a i need ideas before i can start. it will probably take up to a year to finish, although i've never done a modeling program before and it may be easier than i think. it will be a learning experience as they say.

itd be nice if animations scaled with the model (basically the 'select tool' selects nodes also,)
in my opinion magos is a great tool, especially if you can contact him and work from there, adding things such as actually deleeting verticies, also itd be alot easier to rig a model, if you could see,arrange everything in the 'model editor' area, along with the stuff you already mentioned
havnt used 3d's max but i immagine its animationing is easy, since its what the pros use...
warshapes animating would be pretty simple if it were 3d

Status
Not open for further replies.