• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Tool Needed for me to use my Models!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I really didn't know if this should be here in this forum, or in the tools sections... but technically it is a request for a resource I don't have.

I've done alot of searching on here and on the web in general, and unless I'd like to spend 7.5 k $... I cannot find a converter that will convert the file formats I use in modeling. My modeling engine doesn't support reading or writing .mdl and .mdx game studion model files.

These are formats I do support -

MS3D (Milkshape)
MD2 (Quake)
OBJ (Wavefront)

My program is free, as I might've hinted because I really don't intend to spend several thousands dollars right now. It'll be a long while before I do.
I do wish to take modeling seriously and infact I have been. Vista has ruined most of the tools on this site BUT some of the modeling ones. I've been making creations left and right. In time, I feel that I'll have many resources to give back to the community if I'm just able to convert the models I do make, into usable files that can run in WC3 and the War3ModelEditor.

From what I've learned so far, alot of industry people vote for .obj format being the most stable for translating file types. I did find a "obj to mdl" converter on here. It won't convert the other way however. Why not use that source code to possibly make it revert the other way too?
If done, I can take mdl from Warcarft and use them as tamplates for obj editing, the revert the new model back to mdl when complete.
I'm making fresh new model from scratch as well, but I'd still like to use templates to get over the learning curve. If anyone can help me out, I'll be forever greatful. This seriously means alot.

-=Peace=-

Level 3
I'm not using Milkshape. I do have it, but its only a demo. The version I have expired, which is unfortunit because I work over 12 hours a day, sometimes 6 days a week. Last thing a need is a program that costs tons to liscense and or expires in a set amount of time. With little time, its unfair, imo.

However, if there is a converter for MS3D to .mdl or mdx, and mdl/mdx to MS3D... then I must ask, where is it? I'll do a deep search again, though I know one doesn't on here.

Another thing I might ask, what would I use notepad for, Happy one?

-=Peace=-

Level 4
the older versions of milkshape didn't require purchase, so you may want to try and find it(through legal means), though its most likely going to be lackluster as the version I'm talking about was like old from around 2004

Level 3
35$ seriously is alot right now, but least its not as bad as I thought it was.
And a whole month went by very quickly. I got injured on the job when I got the program, but I only missed one day of work due to me being so freaking tired from loss of blood. With the overtime and running back and forth to the doctors, I've had no time nor the money since i go through 90 (87 dollars actually) on gas every 3 to 4 days. I guess I downloaded it at a bad time.

I would assume there are tutorials for messing with Notepad on fixing the mdls and mdxs. If so, I guess i'll try to find them. I did say I'm taking modeling seriously. Just aslong as a dont have anymore world related problems, i'll be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.