• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

.mdl files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can .mdl files from other games (for example, neverwinter nights) be converted to .mdl that warcraft uses?
Now, I've opened them in notepad, and ofc script is different and I don't know how to (manually) change it.
Has anyone ever seen some tool, some script converter that converts .mdl (from nwn) to .mdl files (warcraft)?
Does it even exist?

BTW, I am not really looking for a tool, rather for conversion of just one model (both model and the skin can be found in attachment).

Attachments

• Badger.mdl
    226.1 KB · Views: 125
  • c_badger.tga
    48 KB · Views: 70
Sorry, but there is no way that's getting converted to warcraft. The notepad script is completely different. Just because the file types share the same extension does not necessarily mean they are the same thing.
I don't know of a single program that can open those. The studio that made it probably custom made a plugin for whatever software they were using to convert it to their special file format.
From the file is looks like it was originally a .max file, which is the format used by 3ds Max.
If you could find a more universally accepted file format of that model it may be possible to import it into 3ds max and then export it as a warcraft 3 mdl.
It could also be impossible though. Warcraft 3 is very old and although the mesh would be easy to export to warcraft 3, any animations would (almost guaranteed) be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.