• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New map idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Good day all.

I have a map idea, but I'm not that great at creating maps. If this map is already available, please tell me the name of it.

So the map is kind of a TD.
In the Middle of the map is the castle, where you can make a lot of upgrades. Creeps come from 4 directions, but every round just from a different directions (not all creeps come from the 4 directions in one round).
the goal is to kill creeps, get money, and build towers, upgrade you hero and make all kind of upgrades.

at the begging you only have the castle and the hero. round 1 - one bandit comes from North, you kill it, you get gold. you build a tower to North. second round, 2 bandits come from west, you have to lure them with the hero to the North tower in order to kill them.

any thoughts regarding this idea?

thank you

Level 20
I'm sorry, but it sounds fairly generic, i.e. like a very slight twist on pretty much the standard design philosophy for any TD map ever.

And as always in such cases, the proverbial devil is in the details, which sadly you didn't provide, and execution, which there's none, so to be honest it's hard for me to say whether your idea is interesting or not.

I do, however, encourage you to try to make your idea and reality. There's lot's of guides that will help you get started: WarCraft III Tutorials

Who knows, maybe once you start working out the details, it will turn out to be quite nice.

Level 3
The idea sounds pretty nice. I dont know if you played many Tower Defense games? There are a LOT of questions you can think about that help you towards the direction you want the game to go;

-Is it a co-op/FFA/team game?
-Is it a set amount of levels for everyone to beat or can players influence the units that are sent in waves?
-Are there boss levels?
-do you pick a 'race' or does everyone start with the same options?
-Do building options change over time through i.e. upgrades/level completion?
-what is the general theme of the game? Is there a premise?

Well and 300+ more questions added to that :)

Level 1
Thank you for your response.
The map is a single player or co-op (something between survival and TD). There aren't any races. just one hero who defends the castle. In the castle you can upgrade the castle's HP, you can build just one tower that can be upgraded more times, or you can repair towers, heal hero, everything for gold. the idea of the map is to get gold from killed creeps and try to management the next upgrade so you can properly defend the castle.
i played a lot of TD but (especially Legion TD) but at some point the difference of the towers and waves become overwhelming.

Level 3
I see. Since it's a co-op ish game, the SINGLE tower that you can build needs to have a lot of paths to upgrade to. Can you slow with one upgrade and poison with another? Does one deal bonus damage to minion X or can you generate more gold?

What upgrades can you do to improve your castle's defences? Why do they matter? Are they optional or a must have?

Do the creeps change every game? Why (not)?
Does this mean there is a strict building path?

--

A scenario where I personally wouldn't enjoy:
All players can only build one tower, so in practice this that they each have their own area to defend. This also means that there is a way to upgrade your towers that is always better than another, since you are always alone.
I fear that in this case all players will go the exact same build every turn, every game. I fear variety will not be seen in this scenrario, unless Im missing not yet mentioned features like i.e. castle upgrades/hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.