• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] New(ish) editor rules and blizzard-owned 3rd party content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
With the new editor rules rolled out in reforged where you cannot use 3rd party content, how does 3rd party content not present in wc3 but owned by Blizzard stands out?

Ex : Sound bites from WoW or WoW cinematics, WoW icons, Wc3 Reforged Icons, Sc2 Icons...

Can I use them in my custom map? We've been using WoW icons for a long time...

Like you create a boss fight and use the sound from a boss from WoW or use the zerg announcer "we are under attack!" noise. What about WoW/Starcraft cinematics that are on youtube, can I extract sound bites from them and use them in my custom campaign?

Honestly I dont expect Blizzard to be cool with using reforged Icons in classic but I'm asking nonetheless.

(I dont know if this is the right forum to post this)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
With the new editor rules rolled out in reforged where you cannot use 3rd party content, how does 3rd party content not present in wc3 but owned by Blizzard stands out?
This rule has kind of always existed, just they defined it better since SC2.
Ex : Sound bites from WoW or WoW cinematics, WoW icons, Wc3 Reforged Icons, Sc2 Icons...

Can I use them in my custom map? We've been using WoW icons for a long time...
Yes you can and Blizzard even encourages you to do so. Just avoid trying to recreate their paid play experiences (e.g. reconstructing HotS or a SC2 campaign into WC3).

Status
Not open for further replies.