• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New install : map from campaign saves are not recognized

Level 7
I'm using version 1.29.2.

To install my W3 copy on a different computer and keep patch 1.29.2, I simply copied over the folder from Program Files along with the Document > Warcraft III folder containing custom maps and campaigns, and the Users > (username) > Saved Games > Warcraft III folder containing profiles and save files.

I had to input my CD Key on the first run but after that the game looks like it's working great.

Except that my old saves don't work anymore. The game says the map is not found on this computer and loads fails there. Loading in-game triggers an error message that also contains the name of the map it's failing to load, "ChapterXX.w3x", with XX being a number. The exact same saves are still working on the original computer, and the campaign the maps are from is properly detected on the new computer (and launches without apparent issue), but it seems the game doesn't associate the save with the campaign it's from.

Does anyone know what's going on and what I should try to do?

Level 29
There is another person who experienced this kind of problem when trying to transfer a campaign saves to a different computer, as discovered in this thread (it's quite old, exactly 4 years earlier). However, he played on 1.31.1, which is still considered as non-Reforged WC3 (aka "the real Classic"), and the campaign in question was Malfurion's Quest. The problem is very similar to you: when you click on the save that's associated with the campaign, there is a small error message saying that "Could not find this map file on your computer" on Map Description, and the save doesn't load. Assuming you have the same versions of WC3 on both computers, you need to copy paste the 2 non-save files in addition to the actual save file. By non-save files, I mean if you look at your single player save files, there will always be two that are just generated by the single player saving. I am not sure how to explain it, but if you check, you will notice 2 files in that folder that are not your save files. Make sure to copy/paste them over to your your other computer, in addition to the real save files.

Also, I can confirm that placing a W3V (game cache) and both W3P files (one for custom campaign-specific progression and the "Campaigns.w3p") doesn't seem to make your campaign saves work without issues.

Btw, which campaigns are you currently playing on?

Level 7
I copied the entire folder over, not file by file, so the campaign files went along. But the problem I am experiencing is definitely the same as the one in this old thread you found.

I have the same impression as the old poster, who couldn't solve the issue copying further files over:

Either way it seems that save file is targeting location of the campaign and it cannot find it there.

I wonder how the path is saved and what's the expected path, maybe it would be possible to fix the issue by changing the folder structure.

Btw, which campaigns are you currently playing on?

I didn't play recently, but I wanted to play some Arkain. I was after chapter 42...

Level 29
I copied the entire folder over, not file by file, so the campaign files went along. But the problem I am experiencing is definitely the same as the one in this old thread you found.

I have the same impression as the old poster, who couldn't solve the issue copying further files over:

I wonder how the path is saved and what's the expected path, maybe it would be possible to fix the issue by changing the folder structure.
Yeah, tulee had even did this as described in the aforementioned old thread, but to no avail.

I didn't play recently, but I wanted to play some Arkain. I was after chapter 42...
It is possible you can go back to your old computer to finish this campaign? Also I notice that you're on chapter 42, whereas Arkain has 7 main campaigns (3 First Books, 3 Second Books, and a True Story Demo). It's too infeasible to go all the way to that chapter. Even with the usual "Whosyourdaddy" trick to skip most tough challenges, you might still end up stuck there...