• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New AOS map creation - Come here with Tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Need tips; How the BEST AoS map would be?

Yea, how would the Best AOS map look like?
I have a number of Questions for yall below, check them out and come with your tips and ideas.

Would the BEST AoS map ever have...

1. Should it have First Person Shooter camera?
  2. Can you please come up with some tips, and maybe a name for the map?
The Questions-box updates when one question is finished...
I will need atleast 10 comments on this. If you can, please provide with information why you think "Yes" or "No".

[box="List of names that the AOS can use, which one do you like more?]
* War of the Ancients (WotA)
* The Fallen Villages (TFV)
* Come up with some names!!!....
[/box]

Thanks!

Last edited:
Level 6
1. No it shouldnt, that would destroy sneaking up on other players

one idea is to have upgradeable towers that each player can upgrade for their team for better defense

Level 9
1. No it shouldnt, that would destroy sneaking up on other players

one idea is to have upgradeable towers that each player can upgrade for their team for better defense

Thanks for the quick respond :wink:

Yea you are right I guess..
Hmm, thats a pretty good idea man :thumbs_up: I might add that, thanks!
Keep it coming!

Level 4
I think it would be easier to sneak... since you're only able to see forward, you could attack from behind and the enemy won't notice you. But let's be clear, that's only with a first person view, and I think that would be difficult to achieve, but with a third person view, the sneak would be not that effective, and the enemies or other units will block the view while they walk by you...

So, my final answer is... NO

Level 9
I think it would be easier to sneak... since you're only able to see forward, you could attack from behind and the enemy won't notice you. But let's be clear, that's only with a first person view, and I think that would be difficult to achieve, but with a third person view, the sneak would be not that effective, and the enemies or other units will block the view while they walk by you...

So, my final answer is... NO

Well, I can make both First and Third cameras.
But ye ur right, but I just think it would be original :p

Level 7
no. AOS maps are famed for there team strategies and infamous 'ganks'. FP cameras would make the game more 'solo' and harder to play with your allies.

Level 9
Harder 2 play yes! It would be more of a challenge...

EDIT:
I think I will make a system where you can by commands select either 3rd person or normal...
Would that be ok?

Level 3
no not really lol coz why would u select 3person when u have the normal view? players would just stick to the normal view becoz it makes it easier lol
u should make one of those AOS's that have outposts which u can control when u destroy the tower (u knoe what i mean?) and when u take over one it lowers the other teams creeps number or power.
i would also like to see an AOS with amazing terrain that allows u to play strategicly.

First person camera please. Time for FP AoS. Try and find out in the end!
War of the Ancients - No. It's obviously a "couldn't come up with a name other than DotA - Defense of the Ancients"
The Fallen Villages - No. It sounds like a tv program: TFV? Meh..

Names:
Recreation of Kitana

(Wtf? What's that name? Well, I already gave you some bits of fantasy to make up a story of your own. "There was a famous world in a fairytale, named Kitana. By mistake of the nature, the world somehow was recreated in the real world, bla bla".

Level 9
Hmm ye maybe :)
The terrain is really detailed and the map is bigger than usual AOS maps but still good 2 play.
I'll post a link for the project thread here later :wink:

Thanks for all the tips & such, please keep it coming!

Level 9
Hmm, nah I kinda don't think that would be 2 good :p
It would be 2 much like HotA(Heroes of the Ancients) (basically everything you said is in that).

Thanks though :)

Level 4
Mmm.... the name... make it original... or maybe from your nick like "HANI: Heroes Against Northrend Invansion" o_O?? I don't know XD
But I like "The Fallen Villages"

Level 9
Mmm.... the name... make it original... or maybe from your nick like "HANI: Heroes Against Northrend Invansion" o_O?? I don't know XD
But I like "The Fallen Villages"

The HANI name was good, but since it's not an invasion, it's hard to use that as the name :con:

Or, Blitz AOS, something you know, short and easy?

Or, Darkness of the Fallen (DotF)?

Or, Nature of the Heroes (Noth)?

Or, World of the Ancients (WotA)?

Level 7
1) having ancients in the name is the most cliche think you can do.

2) the name doesnt need to be 4 words and have a nice sounding acronymn.

3) FPS aos is basically like sabotage in CoD4/5, as it is just a FPS with an objective (kill enemy base).

4) good aos are composed of original and detailed spells, heroes and systems. NOT cliche ideas and stupid gameplay additions like first person cameras that make the game a different genre.

Name can be like:

Horde Seige, Forest Guardian, etc.

We don't need another

LOL OF THE ANCIENTS

LOL PROTECTORS OF THE ANCIENTS

LOL DARKNESS (something) ANCIENTS

Level 4
That sounds cool, but... why that name?? You should take into account the history of your map... is there the same trouble as before?? The orcs are lumbering the night elves forests again??

Level 6
the lost world sounds like an adventure map with like dinosaurs and such

forgotten heroes sounds mystic and cool but it wouldnt give any idea of what the map is like

~ peace

Level 7
Even "attack of the lumberjacks" sounds better. :<

Except not.

Your first name was good, Natures Guardian. It fits with the whole orcs attacking the nightelf forest thing.

However it can kinda sound like you'll be playing a park ranger and fending off oil companies.

How about:

"The Cenarion Front"

or

"Ever Guard"

something that ties in with destruction vs nature but doesn't make you think your heores abilities are going to include "tie self to tree", etc.

Level 3
Is the name really that important? Don't expect your AoS to gain any popularity as DotA exists, which is the "Best" AoS in it's ~~genre~~.
To make an AoS equally "Best" you'd need unique ideas and a new concept in contrast to the ever popular DotA but don't make it too complicated (like for instance HoSK).
First person camera use in WC3 is shoddy, do avoid.
I think you'd best start with inventing original heroes with not only fancy spells but also alternate playstyles. (like for instance DotA's Invoker, but less complicated to begin with)

Level 7
Is the name really that important? Don't expect your AoS to gain any popularity as DotA exists, which is the "Best" AoS in it's ~~genre~~.
To make an AoS equally "Best" you'd need unique ideas and a new concept in contrast to the ever popular DotA but don't make it too complicated (like for instance HoSK).
I think you'd best start with inventing original heroes with not only fancy spells but also alternate playstyles. (like for instance DotA's Invoker, but less complicated to begin with)

I think i vomitted when you said dota was the best aos.

Level 7

I don't think DotA is the best AOS.
I also personally don't think that you need all those so called unique ideas and new concept to make your map popular.
Generally, the most important thing is the way you design your map.
Invoker is the most silly Hero in DotA i've ever seen...

Level 3
o_O, well sorry?

I used quotation marks around Best to imply I meant that DotA is by far the most celebrated and played TFT map ever, this is a fact - I cannot state something like "DotA is the best map evur!!11" like it's fact because it's merely an opinion.
But I do like DotA, and I expect flame when I say this as THW folks have a habit of flaming just DotA - I guess alot of people are narrow-minded and DotA is just too mainstream for them or they simply just don't like it.

As for making a map popular, I think that these days maps with simple but impressive and more "fun-to-play" concepts like Warlocks, MaD Balls and various TDs are the way to go these days and maps that take time and effort to learn are avoided when you can go play DotA like all your friends.
From my perspective, only oldschool maps like Footmen Frenzy, DotA and Castle Fight (old?) are played in any larger scale. Maybe I'm mistaken? (I mainly play on Garena Europe servers, I'd say Garena is preferrable since bnet is so laggy and shoddy)

I don't like to play Invoker, but I think he's pretty cool. I didn't say he should make Invoker-type heroes just used him as an example of a unique playstyle which grants depth to gameplay.

Level 9
Thanks Svyatoslav!
+rep for your nice answers.

And I think you are right too. I'm sure I'll be able to create something better than DotA, it will take time, but it will come :thumbs_up:

Level 20
Yes, Dota sucks so much. Its the only map that is well known and played internationally over the world in leagues and there are even people who buy wc3 just to play Dota. It must be indeed the worst map ever. /sarcasm

I'm sure I'll be able to create something better than DotA, it will take time, but it will come :thumbs_up:
I'm eager to hear your revolutionary ideas to beat Dota.

Level 9
Yea, I do like dota. It is quite advanced with 100% working systems, spells etc. Almost 100 heroes, tons of items and such... So, yes, it will take time, but I will get there.

How:
Using better terrain (more "hideouts" and simply cooler looking terrain), new heroes, new spells, new items, new systems and so on...
I will create a project thread soon where you can read all about it.

Will Everguard fit as the name?

Level 7
Ok first of all everyone right now go to the maps section and dl a few high rated AoS. You will be shocked to find 90% of them are farm more advanced then dota, and are funner, yet they are not mainstream because dota has to large of a community, full of narrow minded people who have decided its the only reason to play wc3.

Svyatoslav: The narrow minded people are the people who play dota not hate it. People who hate it hate it because it destroys all diversity on battlenet and made it a gapping void of dota. People who play dota are usually extremely narrow minded, and dont play any other maps except for DotA.

Super-Sheep: I dont know what thread your in but no one claimed it suckd, we claimedit wasnt the best AoS. It isnt. I'll be glad to link you beter ones if you want :).

ON TOPIC: Do not model your aos after dota, it will not be played. make and original and detailed aos that is unqiue to dota and has a chance of waning it populairty (btw team of hives best mappers have reated maps that are thwarted by dota.)

Level 4
no not really lol coz why would u select 3person when u have the normal view? players would just stick to the normal view becoz it makes it easier lol
u should make one of those AOS's that have outposts which u can control when u destroy the tower (u knoe what i mean?) and when u take over one it lowers the other teams creeps number or power.
i would also like to see an AOS with amazing terrain that allows u to play strategicly.

I believe SMotA is already using that and the control being able to upgrade towers is being used by Softmints who made rise of winterchill aos and dota outland aos.

But looks like i got competition with another AoS map coming along :p

Level 9
Guys, this will be better than DotA ;) I'll upload it everywhere, make website & all to make it more famous :D please support this work!

Status
Not open for further replies.