• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

how to keep my map small?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hi, i want to start to make a new map, it'll be an aos, similiar to world of warcraft - battlegrounds with lots of features and items, so it will probably get very big and i wanted to know how to keep the size of the map low, before i start to make it..
i probably also need to import some models and some skills may need to be made in jass or whatever it is called XD
..so can you give me tips to keep it under 4mb?
are there any programmes to make it more..uh..compact?

Level 2
any more programmes, tips etc. would really help me out..
4mb is the maximum for b.net isn't it?
new model's + skin take so much size..

Rui

Rui

Level 41
A map doesn't need many icons/models/skins to be fun. The fun in the map, is the gameplay and the way it was made. Of course it's not bad to have some imported resources, but it's always better if you try to keep the size "tiny" as you say.

-Rui

Level 2
thats the way i think and i dont want to import models for each hero, but like i said the classes should be like in world of warcraft and i dont know any "original" warrior trolls or gnome rouges..or at least it would look very stupid if i would make a troll berserker as a melee unit or make a human model smaller to make it look like a gnome? o_O

like you said..of course its not the most important in the map, but when i finished everything else i want it to look as good as i can make it and some icons for very special items and some modells for race/class combinations that are not available in the "original" would sure make it look better
i dont want the map to be "tiny", i just want to import as much "nice looking" things as i can before it exceeds the b.net maximum

Level 7
VGsatomi said:
I give a brief description of how to reduce map file sized in the "Odds & Ends" sticky near the top of the topic list.

Oh, and the optimizer only takes off like 10kb per meg of file size....not worth the risk.
-VGsatomi

Optimizer isn't risky at all, it copies the map and does everything with the copy, so if the rare thing should happen that optimizer will cause problems, it will cause them on the copy, not the original map. You can't even overwrite the original.

And optimizer took a lot more of my map, I guess you've used one of the oldest versions (for example the one uploaded to the tools section). I cut of about 30% of my map at the time where it had a pretty lot of imported art. It saves even more on a map without imports.

Blade.dk2 said:
VGsatomi said:
I give a brief description of how to reduce map file sized in the "Odds & Ends" sticky near the top of the topic list.

Oh, and the optimizer only takes off like 10kb per meg of file size....not worth the risk.
-VGsatomi

Optimizer isn't risky at all, it copies the map and does everything with the copy, so if the rare thing should happen that optimizer will cause problems, it will cause them on the copy, not the original map. You can't even overwrite the original.

And optimizer took a lot more of my map, I guess you've used one of the oldest versions (for example the one uploaded to the tools section). I cut of about 30% of my map at the time where it had a pretty lot of imported art. It saves even more on a map without imports.

Yep also on one of my maps it took off about 40% and ive never had any problems with it corrupting the maps or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.