• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Nervous About Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm currently working on a type of Frenzy, but I'm concerned with lag. I like to use a lot of doodads, to make things pretty, but I don't know what kind of performance hit average players will take on my map. What kind of doodad limit is decent? My map is 128 x 128, so it's not terribly large, but there is quite a bit of detail with the doodads. I'm not currently running into any lag myself, but I'm concerned that when there is many units on the screen with 12 players it might start to get kind of choppy. I'm going to go over and fix all my memory leaks after, because I've worked hard on this. But I don't want to continue if I need to rework all the terrain because of the amount of detail I have in it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Doodads you can mass as much as you like.
I massed up to the limate of doodads before the game crashes with minimal lag and no lag after they were created.
The doodad max is something like 65536 or 32768.
After that amount the game just crashes to desktop.

I do not recomend you have more than 100-200 visable at one time since then it might start to cause graffic slowdown but overall I say nomore than 15000 since after that amount you might find triggers beginning to be slow when preforming some actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.