• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Neg rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
No, negative rep has ALWAYS been a power of mods and above. People would abuse it so bad, as me and RagingSpeedHorn displayed one eventful day when we got in arguement and the rep system bugged out. That's why it's confined to moderators and up.

Positive rep on the other hand, has just been recently adjusted so that only users with more then 50 rep can give it to also prevent abuse. I don't see why, since the rep system is designed to prevent abuse (you can only give so much rep a day, you can only give rep to a person every so often) but the admins decided to impose this limit to prevent people from giving rep for "ahmahgahd lol j00s my friendzz h4v3 s0m3 repzz!" moments.

The +50 rep system relies on the fact that someone who has 50 or more rep is considered responsible enough (having demonstrated said responsibility in order to earn said 50 points) to spread reputation themselves.

It's sad that we have to do this (it seems we can't trust users any more) but it must be done.

Level 32
Only moderators and administrators can impose negative reputation penalties. All users with 50 reputation points themselves may ADD to others' reputations.

Ralle implemented these settings because reputation abuses had occurred. Rep Solution and Reputation Enabled! are threads that help to (partially) explain the current situation.

I hope to soon create a thread that will explain the Hive's system in great detail.

Level 36
I would be more then happy to help you with that Wolve, as you see I've spoken a lot about the reputation system and tried to learn about it as much as possible... MSN me if you require anything from me :D

But yes, those threads should clarify the current state of affairs, and until that rep document is created, you could always view the FAQ for information...

@Supa: you posted while I was posting. To answer, it doesn't MATTER hwether you're a peon or not, it's how good a peon you are :p You see, it doesn't make any sense. You have to EARN the privlidge of giving reputation, so do you think it would be fair for those who have worked for the 50 rep if we just start allowing new users with 0 posts the same privlidge? It ain't happening.

The whole reason thatr we have a 50 rep minimum is so that we can give the privlidge of reputation-giving to RESPONSIBLE users who have proven themselves in the eyes of other responsible users. This makes it much less likely that the rep system will be abused.

The fact is, we've created class division. Those who have proven themselves to be responsible in rep-giving are above the other peons. They sort of fall into the 'trusted users' category. Now the admins intention is to make it easy for users to get to 50 rep, so no worries, as long as you behave and help out, you should get there in no time.

Level 21
Oh... I didn't know the admins had that intention, i pictured it something along these lines before
-Well before it wasn't a 50 rep minimum, or was it? If their wasn't, it would've been much easier for early members to gain rep, since everyone who liked someone's work and gave them rep, would actually of GOTTEN that rep.-

Level 36
Oh... I didn't know the admins had that intention, i pictured it something along these lines before
-Well before it wasn't a 50 rep minimum, or was it? If their wasn't, it would've been much easier for early members to gain rep, since everyone who liked someone's work and gave them rep, would actually of GOTTEN that rep.-

Yes, but they got rep for all the wrong reasons, so thats why we imposed the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.