• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Needs Title] Platform Escape - Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Escape The Dark World (ETDW)

I just wanted to throw out my new project.

Some of you might have known the map 'Platform Escape' which I really find amazing.
Now I am remaking it in vJass, adding a lot of fun stuff (which I am not saying at this stage) and I want to have an even nicer gameplay.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

The engine is able to change gravity, is completely bugfree and is fast.
This map will be open-source, so everyone can check the sourcecode.

About the gameplay:
You have one whisp in a 2D world. There is gravity.
You move with left/right, jump with up arrow.
You have to run / jump / fly through multiple levels, bosses and enemies to get to the end.

However, I will still 'protect' (optimize) the map in order to run it faster.

Last edited:
Level 11
Yeah, don't use Warcraft's fixed camera, it sucks horribly.
As I said, pan the camera every 0.01 seconds to the wisp's position with a time of 0.2 (PanCameraToTimed etc)
I'm doing this aswell in my camera system and it works pretty smooth.

Other than that, the gameplay until now was okay. I've never played any platform escape before so I can't comment on the originality of this.

Level 11
Now the movement looks a bit crappy, you should also lower the interval there. :)

Bugs found:
  • When you die, your velocity stays. Pretty annoying.
  • The green things which make your jump are annoying as hell, you have to be very exact to hit them (felt like that, I don't know if it's really that extreme)
  • At the end where you have to switch between the green things which make you jump and the one who change your direction, you will just fly up and end up dying. :/

Few suggestions:
Completely remove the UI, making it all black. Add a multiboard which could display some things anywhere then (like the gametime in the bottom right corner). That would look pretty neat.

Now the movement looks a bit crappy, you should also lower the interval there. :)
Alright, I will.

When you die, your velocity stays. Pretty annoying.
o_O, gonna check that.
The green things which make your jump are annoying as hell, you have to be very exact to hit them (felt like that, I don't know if it's really that extreme)
32 radius, so about an half tile collision.

At the end where you have to switch between the green things which make you jump and the one who change your direction, you will just fly up and end up dying. :/
I haven't played that far, also thanks for playing. :p

Completely remove the UI, making it all black. Add a multiboard which could display some things anywhere then (like the gametime in the bottom right corner). That would look pretty neat.
Nice idea, I think I will. :) (Or request for a custom ui maker)

Level 12
Well Anachron I know what to except from you in this game. Since I know that you code high vJass which is fast and lagless, therefore I know this will be good. I have never seen any map from you so I'll have to wait (again). :D

Good luck and keep the project alive mate!

I will give some critique later, but I'm pretty busy right now.

Level 13
Sorry, it is just not my style. I hated to jump and then die because i held the LEFT arrow key for a sec too long when i hit a gravity turner.

Level 10

cool, then i downloaded the right one :)

anyway already tested.

pros:
-its, no matter how you look at it, way smoother than platform escape.!
-the overall design looks very good
-the arrows which change the gravity are awesome!
-i like it and it is fun
-it start very easy, but soon enough it gets much harder!
-there are enough checkpoints

cons:
-sometimes, when you fall down, the camera pans too slow, so you cant really see where you are falling (i think it was after the third checkpoint where it annoyed me)
-might be a little bit too easy at start

overall: its really cool! just keep going. im looking forward to play this with friends. :)

do you speak german? just asking.

-sometimes, when you fall down, the camera pans too slow, so you cant really see where you are falling (i think it was after the third checkpoint where it annoyed me)
Aw, yes, I wanted to change that :D Thanks for the reminder.

-might be a little bit too easy at start
Believe it or not, but that was wanted.

overall: its really cool! just keep going. im looking forward to play this with friends. :)

do you speak german? just asking.
Yes.

Level 9
Lol it is protected xD, daaamn so annoying to start wc3 :D......dunno if I'm gonna bother.....or....ok I'll test it 2morrow maybe :D

Yes I know Im lazy :)

Level 12
I've tested it, and it was four things I want you to do better.

1-As said before, the camera goes to slow, so you don't see what you are falling at.
2-I don't like the cartoonish falling. When you walk of a edge, you stand in the air for a sec before you start falling down.
3-The round circle things have to little radius. It is to hard to actually hit it.
4-The jumping are annoying, you have to hold in the up arrow for 1-2 sec before you actually jumps.

Level 5
A request. The camera just pisses me off. I cant se where i land :s
I didn't have much problems with the green things. Just a little but it wasn't so hard.
Other than that it was nice! :eek:
Keep going!

Status
Not open for further replies.