• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need unique demon custom race idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
On a huge map I am making, there should exist a demon race.
But that race should not be played as other races.
Let me explain.

Demons start off in hell. And are too weak to get out at the start of the game (except chosen 1 or 2 units, who act as merchants to other players, but I'll get to that later).
Since there are angels and exorcists on the map, demons can become pretty weak. Therefore, I have decided to make the demon player chose between 2 races: Aggressive "conquer the world" demons and not so aggressive "influential" demons.
Aggressive should be the ones who create chaos on earth, but the non aggressive are the ones who want to get unique artifacts and powerful items by making deals. And also, souls are a thing on the map, so it should be possible for a unit to sell his soul to demon player, so that demon player gets unit's soul and the unit gets permanent bonus.

However, I have no idea how would I create something like that. That's why I need your ideas. Maybe you can add something to my idea that would make it even better and more fun to play.

Level 6
The way I'd do it is by having "selling your soul" as an ability that's added to units when they are within a certain range of a demon. That way, it's super easy to provide totally detailed explanations of each deal, and you can easily trigger the deals. Then just mark a unit that sold its soul with a specific debuff or ability that indicates that. That way each could be called upon or counted in other triggers used by the demonic player.

By having different demons that can offer different deals, the demon player can show up to a player in need offering the exact thing they need to win or survive.

Level 28
Some ideas:

Players who sell their soul and make deals with the demons cause souls of units they kill to go to a counter, which they can then use as currency for deals with the demons, the souls received by the demons powering them up.

If hell is a separate part of the map:

Give the influence demons vision of the whole earth map, and the info they sell related to that:
Whenever player B tells troops to attack-move, the location is pinged to player A (who made the deal).
Cast Faerie Fire on B's hero.
The demon summons Watcher wards on A's behalf (if they end up put in useless locations... well, what were you expecting when you made a deal with the devil?).
Increased sight range and detection for the hero.
False messages: A causes B to receive automated messages (Our base is under attack, research complete, etc.) when it didn't happen.

Aggressive demons:
Deals to improve the hero that echo the classic sins: Wrath increases damage, Sloth increases resistance, Greed gives extra gold, etc.
Give A cultists who can summon different types of demon hordes in battle.
Give powerful spells to the hero that slowly turn him to the demons: once he's cast enough of the spells, the hero becomes controllable by both A and demons, and if A keeps casting them the hero becomes the sole property of the demons (or sent to hell).

Level 6
Some ideas:

Players who sell their soul and make deals with the demons cause souls of units they kill to go to a counter, which they can then use as currency for deals with the demons, the souls received by the demons powering them up.

If hell is a separate part of the map:

Give the influence demons vision of the whole earth map, and the info they sell related to that:
Whenever player B tells troops to attack-move, the location is pinged to player A (who made the deal).
Cast Faerie Fire on B's hero.
The demon summons Watcher wards on A's behalf (if they end up put in useless locations... well, what were you expecting when you made a deal with the devil?).
Increased sight range and detection for the hero.
False messages: A causes B to receive automated messages (Our base is under attack, research complete, etc.) when it didn't happen.

Aggressive demons:
Deals to improve the hero that echo the classic sins: Wrath increases damage, Sloth increases resistance, Greed gives extra gold, etc.
Give A cultists who can summon different types of demon hordes in battle.
Give powerful spells to the hero that slowly turn him to the demons: once he's cast enough of the spells, the hero becomes controllable by both A and demons, and if A keeps casting them the hero becomes the sole property of the demons (or sent to hell).

Your mere concept of false messages fills me with rage.
That means it is an extremely good idea.

It's completely low-impact, but can very easily catch anyone off-guard.

Level 5
Thx for the ideas, guys.
If you think of something else, please let me know.
I think I'm gonna try to make demon player able to place special demon merchants who can give bonuses to units.
And bonuses will range from simply buffing a unit, all the way up to plagues or something that is very expensive and devastating, like offering the demon your army (and all their souls) and he turns some of your enemies into neutral hostile zombies. Or something chaotic, anyway.

Level 28
Sins / Virtues: Making a deal/covenant with the Sin / Virtue gives the hero a spell or effect, getting all 7 unlocks special powers (or a transformation or something). Getting them should require some sort of difficulty, and displaying behavior contrary to the alignment may cancel it.

Dealing with a Sin when you already have a deal with a Virtue cancels out all of them (and vice-versa), requiring you to start again.

Wrath: Bloodlust.
Gluttony: Life Drain / Devour.
Pride: Damage resistance.
Lust: Chance to Charm.
Sloth: Chance to Sleep / Casts Sleep on self, fully regenerating until awakening / auto Healing Salve buff when not moving.
Greed: Extra gold from kills or souls for gold mechanic.
Envy: Whenever Player B finishes an upgrade, A gets it too (or is refunded if he'd already researched it). Alternately, targets a unit and summons a temporary copy of it (if angelic, get the evil version instead).

Patience: DoT effects increased.
Temperance: Prevents mind-affecting buffs from affecting the hero (Drunken Haze, Curse, Howl of Terror...).
Humility: Negative buffs don't last as long.
Chastity: Using Charm on a unit in range of the hero causes severe feedback to the caster, stunning and draining mana.
Diligence: Endurance Aura.
Generosity: Get gold when casting healing spells.
Benevolence: Shares upgrade with ally/get an upgrade refunded.

Status
Not open for further replies.